Colin K. Grissom, MD
- Departments: Internal Medicine - Professor (Clinical)
- Divisions: Pulmonary
- American Board of Internal Medicine (Sub: Critical Care Medicine)
- American Board of Internal Medicine (Sub: Pulmonary Disease)
- National Board of Echocardiography (Critical Care Echocardiography)
- National Board of Echocardiography (Special Competence in Adult Echocardiography)
Academic Office Information
Intermountain Medical Center
Department of Critical Care
5121 Cottonwood Street
Murray, UT 84107
Colin K. Grissom, MD, is the Co-Medical Director of the Shock Trauma Intensive Care Unit and Director of Critical Care Echocardiography at Intermountain Medical Center. Dr. Grissom supervises critical care fellows, internal medicine residents, emergency medicine residents, and transitional interns in the care of critically ill medical and surgical patients. Dr. Grissom was the leader in bringing critical care ultrasound and echocardiography to the bedside in this multidisciplinary 24-bed intensive care unit. He was the recipient of a University of Utah Department of Medicine Teaching Award in 2006.
Colin K. Grissom, MD, is a clinical researcher with over 100 publications listed in PubMed. His primary areas of interest are clinical research on mechanical ventilation, the acute respiratory distress syndrome, sepsis, and applications of echocardiography and ultrasound to critically ill patients. He is the Principal Investigator for the Utah Center of the NIH/NHLBI Preventiona and Early Treatment of Acute Lung Injury (PETAL) clinical trials network. Other research intersts include high altitude illness, avalanche victim physiology, and hypothermia.
|Fellowship||University of Utah School of Medicine, Department of Anesthesiology and Cardiology
Transthoracic and Transesophageal Echocardiography
|Fellowship||University of Utah Hospital
|Residency||University of Washington
|Professional Medical||Yale University School of Medicine
- Luks AM, Freer L, Grissom CK, McIntosh SE, Schoene RB, Swenson ER, Hackett PH (2020). COVID-19 Lung Injury is Not High Altitude Pulmonary Edema. (Epub ahead of print) High Alt Med Biol.
- Beesley SJ, Egan E, Lanspa MJ, Wilson EL, Hirshberg EL, Grissom CK, Burk R, Brown SM (2020). Unanticipated critical findings on echocardiography in septic patients. Ultrasound J, 12(1), 12.
- Allen L, Knighton AJ, Wolfe D, Belnap T, Brunisholz KD, Carmichael H, Allen T, Peltan I, Grissom C, Srivastava R (2020). Implementing Evidence-Based Clinical Practice in the Critical Care Setting. Qual Manag Health Care, 29(2), 123-125.
- Brown SM, Beesley SJ, Stubben C, Wilson EL, Presson AP, Grissom C, Maguire C, Rondina MT, Hopkins RO (2020). Postseptic Cognitive Impairment and Expression of APOE in Peripheral Blood: The Cognition After SepsiS (CASS) Observational Pilot Study. J Intensive Care Med, 885066619897604.
- McIntosh SE, Little CE, Seibert TD, Polukoff NE, Grissom CK (2019). Avalanche airbag post-burial active deflation - The ability to create an air pocket to delay asphyxiation and prolong survival. Resuscitation, 146, 155-160.
- Lanspa MJ, Peltan ID, Jacobs JR, Sorensen JS, Carpenter L, Ferraro JP, Brown SM, Berry JG, Srivastava R, Grissom CK (2019). Driving pressure is not associated with mortality in mechanically ventilated patients without ARDS. Crit Care, 23(1), 424.
- Blagev DP, Harris D, Dunn AC, Guidry DW, Grissom CK, Lanspa MJ (2019). Clinical presentation, treatment, and short-term outcomes of lung injury associated with e-cigarettes or vaping: a prospective observational cohort study. Lancet, 394(10214), 2073-2083.
- Lipman GS, Gaudio FG, Eifling KP, Ellis MA, Otten EM, Grissom CK (2019). Wilderness Medical Society Clinical Practice Guidelines for the Prevention and Treatment of Heat Illness: 2019 Update. Wilderness Environ Med, 30(4S), S33-S46.
- Luks AM, Auerbach PS, Freer L, Grissom CK, Keyes LE, McIntosh SE, Rodway GW, Schoene RB, Zafren K, Hackett PH (2019). Wilderness Medical Society Clinical Practice Guidelines for the Prevention and Treatment of Acute Altitude Illness: 2019 Update. Wilderness Environ Med, 30(4S), S3-S18.
- McIntosh SE, Freer L, Grissom CK, Auerbach PS, Rodway GW, Cochran A, Giesbrecht GG, McDevitt M, Imray CH, Johnson EL, Pandey P, Dow J, Hackett PH (2019). Wilderness Medical Society Clinical Practice Guidelines for the Prevention and Treatment of Frostbite: 2019 Update. Wilderness Environ Med, 30(4S), S19-S32.
- Dow J, Giesbrecht GG, Danzl DF, Brugger H, Sagalyn EB, Walpoth B, Auerbach PS, McIntosh SE, Nmethy M, McDevitt M, Schoene RB, Rodway GW, Hackett PH, Zafren K, Bennett BL, Grissom CK (2019). Wilderness Medical Society Clinical Practice Guidelines for the Out-of-Hospital Evaluation and Treatment of Accidental Hypothermia: 2019 Update. Wilderness Environ Med, 30(4S), S47-S69.
- Cirulis MM, Beesley SJ, Wilson EL, Stubben C, Olsen TD, Hirshberg EL, Smith LM, Lanspa MJ, Abraham TP, Grissom CK, Rondina MT, Brown SM (2019). The peripheral blood transcriptome in septic cardiomyopathy: an observational, pilot study. Intensive Care Med Exp, 7(1), 57.
- Middleton EA, Rowley JW, Campbell RA, Grissom CK, Brown SM, Beesley SJ, Schwertz H, Kosaka Y, Manne BK, Krauel K, Tolley ND, Eustes AS, Guo L, Paine R 3rd, Harris ES, Zimmerman GA, Weyrich AS, Rondina MT (2019). Sepsis alters the transcriptional and translational landscape of human and murine platelets. Blood, 134(12), 911-923.
- McIntosh SE, Brant-Zawadzki G, Milliner BH, Christensen ED, Nyberg AA, Grissom CK, Olivares CR, Kim HS, Tremper B (2019). Cause of Death in Utah Avalanche Fatalities, 2006-2007 through 2017-2018 Winter Seasons. Wilderness Environ Med, 30(2), 191-194.
- National Heart Lung and Blood Institute PETAL Clinical Trials Network, Moss M, Huang DT, Brower RG, Ferguson ND, Ginde AA, Gong MN, Grissom CK, Gundel S, Hayden D, Hite RD, Hou PC, Hough CL, Iwashyna TJ, Khan A, Liu KD, Talmor D, Thompson BT, Ulysse CA, Yealy DM, Angus DC (2019). Early Neuromuscular Blockade in the Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome. N Engl J Med, 380(21), 1997-2008.
- Mor-Cohen R, Zucker M, Grissom C, Brown SM, Seligsohn U, Campbell RA, Blair AM, Rondina MT (2019). The reduced form of coagulation factor XI is associated with illness severity and coagulopathy in critically-ill septic patients. J Thromb Thrombolysis, 47(2), 186-191.
- Morales-Ortz J, Rondina MT, Brown SM, Grissom C, Washington AV (2018). High Levels of Soluble Triggering Receptor Expressed on Myeloid Cells-Like Transcript (TLT)-1 Are Associated With Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome. Clin Appl Thromb Hemost, 24(7), 1122-1127.
- McIntosh SE, Little CE, Seibert TD, Polukoff NE, Grissom CK (2020). Reply to: Reconsidering the air pocket around mouth and nose as a positive outcome predictor in completely buried avalanche victims. [Letter to the editor]. Resuscitation.
- McIntosh SE, Hemphill M, McDevitt MC, Gurung TY, Ghale M, Knott JR, Thapa GB, Basnyat B, Dow J, Weber DC, Grissom CK (2019). In Reply to Dr Bennett. [Letter to the editor]. Wilderness Environ Med, 30(3), 334-335.
- Hirshberg EL, Lanspa MJ, Brown SM, Dean NC, Grissom CK (2019). The authors reply. [Letter to the editor]. Crit Care Med, 47(8), e724-e726.
- Brillhart A, McIntosh S, Dow J, Grissom C (2016). In response to Epidemiology of Search and Rescue in Baxter State Park: Dangers of Descent and Fatigue. [Letter to the editor]. Wilderness Environ Med, 27(2), 344-5.