Wendy W. Chapman, PhD
Chair, Department of Biomedical Informatics
- Departments: Biomedical Informatics - Professor
Academic Office Information
421 Wakara Way, Room: Suite 140
Salt Lake City, UT 84108
Dr. Chapman earned her Bachelor's degree in Linguistics and her PhD in Medical Informatics from the University of Utah in 2000. From 2000-2010 she was a National Library of Medicine postdoctoral fellow and then a faculty member at the University of Pittsburgh. She joined the Division of Biomedical Informatics at the University of California, San Diego in 2010. In 2013, Dr. Chapman became the chair of the University of Utah, Department of Biomedical Informatics.
Dr. Chapman’s research focuses on developing and disseminating resources for modeling and understanding information described in narrative clinical reports. She is interested not only in better algorithms for extracting information out of clinical text through natural language processing (NLP) but also in generating resources for improving the NLP development process (such as shareable annotations and open source toolkits) and in developing user applications to help non-NLP experts apply NLP in informatics-based tasks like clinical research and decision support.
She has been a principal investigator on several NIH grants from the National Library of Medicine, National Institute for Dental and Craniofacial Research, and National Institute for General Medical Sciences. In addition, she has collaborated on multi-center grants including the ONC SHARP Secondary Use of Clinical Data and the iDASH National Center for Biomedical Computing. Dr. Chapman is a PI and a co-investigator on a number of VA Health Services Research and Development (HSRD) grant proposals extending the development and application of NLP within the VA.
A tenured Professor at the University of Utah, Dr. Chapman continues her research in addition to leading the Department of Biomedical Informatics. Dr. Chapman is an elected fellow of the American College of Medical Informatics and currently serves as Treasurer, was the previous chair of the American Medical Informatics Association (AMIA) Natural Language Processing Working Group, and is the chair of the AMIA Student Paper Awards Committee.
Google Scholar: http://scholar.google.com/citations?user=FYmyACUAAAAJ
|Fellowship||National LIbrary of Medicine
|Postdoctoral Fellowship||University of Pittsburgh
|Doctoral Training||University of Utah
|Undergraduate||University of Utah
- Myslin M, Zhu SH, Chapman W, Conway M (2013). Using twitter to examine smoking behavior and perceptions of emerging tobacco products. J Med Internet Res, 15(8), e174.
- Haas SW, Travers D, Tintinalli JE, Pollock D, Waller A, Barthell E, Burt C, Chapman W, Coonan K, Kamens D, McClay J (2008). Toward vocabulary control for chief complaint. Acad Emerg Med, 15(5), 476-82.
- Espino JU, Wagner M, Szczepaniak C, Tsui FC, Su H, Olszewski R, Liu Z, Chapman W, Zeng X, Ma L, Lu Z, Dara J (2004). Removing a barrier to computer-based outbreak and disease surveillance--the RODS Open Source Project. MMWR Suppl, 53, 32-9.
- University of Utah Announces Creation of Jon M. Huntsman Presidential Chairs
- DBMI Chair Presents at VITAE 2017
- Making Sense of Doctor's Notes: Data-Mining Tools Earn U of U Health Biomedical Informaticist Wendy Chapman Spot in National Academy of Medicine
- BMI 2015 AMIA Recap
- Two Utah Doctors Selected for ELAM Fellowship
- Biomedical Informatics Success at AMIA 2013 Annual Symposium, Washington, DC
- BMI Department 2013 Holiday Social
- BMI Welcomes Wendy Chapman, Ph.D., as the new Department Chair
- Wendy W. Chapman Named New Chair of Biomedical Informatics