Shaida Talebreza Brandon, MD
- Western Farsi
- Departments: Internal Medicine - Professor (Clinical)
- Divisions: Geriatrics
- American Board of Family Medicine
- American Board of Family Medicine (Geriatric Medicine)
- American Board of Family Medicine (Hospice and Palliative Medicine)
Dr. Shaida Talebreza MD, AGSF, FAAHPM serves as Professor of Geriatric Medicine at the University of Utah and is board certified in in family medicine, geriatric medicine, hospice and palliative medicine. Dr. Talebreza serves as the Associate Chief of Staff for Geriatrics, Palliative and Extended Care for the George E. Wahlen, Salt Lake City Veterans Affairs Medical Center and as a national leader for the VA National Center for Ethics in Health Care VA Life-Sustaining Treatment Decisions Initiative (VA LSTDI). The goal of the VA LSTDI is to develop and implement new practices to ensure that the values, goals, and life-sustaining treatment decisions of seriously ill Veterans are elicited, documented, and honored. Dr. Talebreza’s leadership role with the VA LSTDI includes creating and disseminating educational resources and training programs for healthcare providers caring for patients with serious illness throughout the nation, and advising in the creation and implementation of a sustainable infrastructure in the VA electronic health record to document, retrieve and carry out patient’s preferences regarding life-sustaining treatment.
Dr. Talebreza strives to promote geriatric palliative care education nationally. She serves on the Board of Directors of the American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine (AAHPM). She served as Co-Chair and faculty of AAHPM’s Hospice Medical Director Education Conference from 2014-2017. She served on the American Geriatrics Society (AGS) Education Committee and is the project leader of the Geriatrics Evaluation and Management Tools, an AGS educational publication and smartphone app. She has written articles, editorials and book chapters on hospice, palliative and geriatric care, as well as patient educational material and videos about advance care planning and life-sustaining treatments.
She received a U.S. Department of Health and Human Resources Geriatric Academic Career Award for 2010-2015 for developing geriatric palliative care curriculum. In 2015, she was awarded the American Geriatrics Society Outstanding Junior Clinician Educator of the Year Award. She was the recipient of the 2015 Hastings Center Cunniff-Dixon Physician Award which recognizes physicians who give exemplary care to patients at the end of life. Dr. Talebreza is recognized as a Fellow of the American Geriatrics Society (AGSF) and the American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine’s (FAAHPM). Fellow status is one of the highest honors awarded to members who have demonstrated an exceptional professional commitment and contribution to the progress of their field of medicine.
Dr. Talebreza is passionate about providing comprehensive, compassionate, evidence-based care to people with serious illness and educating and inspiring others to do this important work.
|Research Fellow||George E Wahlen VA Salt Lake City, Utah
|Fellowship||University of Utah School of Medicine
|Residency||St. Mark’s Family Medicine Residency Program
|Internship||St. Mark's Family Medicine Residency Program
|Professional Medical||University of Utah School of Medicine
|Undergraduate||University of Utah
- Talebreza S, Widera E (2016). A Perspective on Hospice Reform and Additional Caregiver Support-Reply. JAMA Intern Med, 176(7), 1032-3.
- Widera E, Talebreza S (2016). Variability in Hospice Care at the Very End of Life. JAMA Intern Med, 176(3), 370-1.
- Talebreza S, Widera E (2015). Advance directives: navigating conflicts between expressed wishes and best interests. Am Fam Physician, 91(7), 480-4.
- Talebreza S, Widera E (2014). The hospice referral. Am Fam Physician, 89(9), 745-7.
- Duncan J, Taillac P, Nangle B, Henry M, Houston J, Talebreza S, Finch L, Brunker C, Rajeev D, Smith HJ, North C (2013). Electronic end-of-life care registry: the Utah ePOLST initiative. AMIA Annu Symp Proc, 2013, 345-53.
- Talebreza S, Bair B, Kathol R (2011). Time Needed to Provide Recommended Treatment for Geriatric Depression. Clin Geriatr, 19(1), 40-43.
- Brandon ST, Anderson KA, Eubank K, Flacker JM, Griebling T, Pohl CL, Roche V, Shay K, Reidenbach F, Sherman AN (03/08/2013). Geriatrics Evaluation and Management Tools. (First Edition). New York: The American Geriatrics Society.
- Tatum P, Talebreza S, Ross J, Widera E (01/01/2017). Palliative Care and Special Management Issues. In Hazzard's Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology (7th Edition, pp. 833-843). McGraw-Hill.
- Tjia J, Talebreza S, Reblin M, Beck A, Ellington L (2014). Scramble or script: responding to new Medicare billing for medications in hospice. [Letter to the editor]. J Palliat Med, 17(10), 1085-6.
- Talebreza S (09/15/2014). Goals-of-Care Discussions for Deprescribing. AAHPM Quarterly. 2014;15(3):8.
- Talebreza S (01/26/2016). Eligibility, Prognosis and Relatedness: Ensuring Compliant Practice [Web]. National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization.
- Berkowitz K, Brandon ST, Crowley S, Dominitz J, Douglas S, Lowery J, OHare A, Paski, S Pearlman R, Sharpe VA, Tokar S (01/01/2016). Setting Health Care Goals: A Guide for People with Health Problems [Web]. National Center for Ethics in Health Care. Available: https://www.ethics.va.gov/LST/SettingHealthCareGoals.asp.
- Talebreza S, Quijada E (04/15/2015). Hospice Medical Director Certification Board Exam Preparation [Podcast]. American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine. Available: http://aahpm.org/meetings/webinars.
- Talebreza S (11/18/2014). Pain Assessment and Management in Long Term Care Facilities Webinar [Web]. HealthInsight. Available: https://qualitynet.webex.com.
- Lowery J, Tokar S, Doyle B, Fox E, Hoffman-Hogg L, Douglas S, Talebreza S, Sharpe V, Tompkins P (10/01/14). Life-Sustaining Treatment Decisions Project: Training for Clinical Staff Who Do Not Write Orders [Video]. US Department of Veterans Affairs Talent Management System. Available: https://www.ethics.va.gov/LST/ClinicalStaffResources.asp.
- Lowery J, Tokar S, Doyle B, Fox E, Douglas S, Sharpe V, Talebreza S, Berkowitz K, Shreve S, Tompkins P (10/01/2014). Life-sustaining Treatment Decisions Project: Training for Clinical Staff Who Write Orders [Video]. US Department of Veterans Affairs Talent Management System. Available: https://www.ethics.va.gov/LST/ClinicalStaffResources.asp.
- Talebreza S (09/25/2014). Can Someone with Debility or Adult Failure to Thrive Still be Admitted to Hospice? [Web]. GeriPal. Available: http://www.geripal.org/2014/09/principle-hospice-diagnosis-versus-hospice-eligibility.html.
- Talebreza S (09/15/2014). Goals-of-Care Discussions for Deprescribing [Web]. AAHPM Quarterly. Available: http://aahpm.org/quarterly/fall-14-clinical-pearls.
- Talebreza S (09/15/2014). Hospice Deprescribing Decision Tool and Training Script [Web]. AAHPM Blog. Available: http://www.aahpm.org/apps/blog/.
- Talebreza S (06/03/2014). AAHPM Mentorship Blog: My Year-Long Mentorship Journey [Web]. American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine. Available: http://www.aahpm.org/apps/blog/?p=2311.
- Brandon ST (06/07/2013). Code Status Discussion Educational Product [Web]. (Peer Reviewed) MedEdPORTAL, Association of American Medical Colleges. Available: www.mededportal.org/publication/9442.
- Brandon ST (02/22/2013). Opportunities to Educate the Public, National Public Radio (NPR), and Even Ourselves About Hospice and Palliative Care [Web]. GeriPal. Available: http://www.geripal.org/2013/02/opportunities-to-educate-public.html.
- Brandon ST (11/05/2012). Is it Time for Another Lawsuit? Advocating to Change the Medicare Hospice Benefit Eligibility Requirements [Web]. GeriPal. Available: http://www.geripal.org/2012/11/is-it-time-for-another-lawsuit.html.
- Brandon ST (08/02/2012). Are you Smarter than a Medical Intern? The Why, What and How of the Medicare Hospice Benefit. [Web]. GeriPal. Available: http://www.geripal.org/2012/08/are-you-smarter-than-medical-intern-why.html.
- Brandon ST (04/17/2012). The "Silver Tsunami" is Coming. What am I Doing to Prepare? [Web]. GeriPal. Available: http://geripal.org/.
- Brandon ST (12/07/2011). Medicare Hospice Benefit Game [Web]. (Peer Reviewed) MedEdPORTAL, Association of American Medical Colleges. Available: http://www.mededportal.org/publication/9058.
- Brandon ST (7/20/2011). The Medicare Hospice Benefit: A Challenge to the Concerns About the Rise in Cost [Web]. GeriPal. Available: http://geripal.org/.