Jill Shea, PhD
- Departments: Surgery - Research Assistant Professor
- Divisions: General Surgery
- Cancer Center Programs: Affiliate, non-programmatically aligned
Academic Office Information
Maxwell M. Wintrobe Research and Education Building
26 N Medical Dr, Room: 201
Salt Lake City, UT 84132
Jill Shea, PhD, is a Research Assistant Professor in the Department of Surgery at the University of Utah School of Medicine and an investigator of the Huntsman Cancer Institute. The central goal of her research is to improve surgical outcomes through translational research.
To accomplish this goal she is currently developing three key areas of research: 1) surgical intervention, 2) imaging, and 3) drug treatment. Specific projects include the development of new nerve guide conduits to improve patient outcomes following traumatic injuries, development of new imaging techniques to treat pancreatic cancer, and development of animal models for pancreas cancer to assist in the development of new therapeutic approaches. Though these projects seem diverse they all share the common theme of advancing current treatments relevant to the Department of Surgery.
|Postdoctoral Fellowship||University of Utah
|Postdoctoral Fellowship||University of Utah
|Doctoral Training||University of Utah
|Undergraduate||University of Oregon
Exercise and Movement Science: Biomechanics
- Labroo P, Ho S, Sant H, Shea J, Gale BK, Agarwal J (2016 Apr 4). Controlled Delivery of FK506 to Improve Nerve Regeneration. (Epub ahead of print) Shock.
- Beal H, Shea J, Witt B, Adler D, Downs-Kelly E, Firpo M, Mulvihill S, and Scaife C (). Accuracy of diagnosing PDA, Neuroendocrine tumors, and IPMN by EUS-FNA at a single institution. J Gastroenterol Hepatol, 4(2), on line.
- Lin KM, Shea J, Gale BK, Sant H, Larrabee P, Agarwal J (). Nerve growth factor released from a novel PLGA nerve condiut can improve axon growth. Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, 26(4), 045016.
- Koopmann M, Shea J, Kholmovski E, de Bever J, Minalga E, Holbrook M, Merrill R, Hadley JR, Owan T, Salama ME, Marrouche NF, Payne A (2016). Renal sympathetic denervation using MR-guided high-intensity focused ultrasound in a porcine model. J Ther Ultrasound, 4, 3.
- Li H, Gale BK, Sant H, Shea J, David Bell E, Agarwal J (2015 Sep). A Novel Vascular Coupling System for End-to-End Anastomosis. Cardiovasc Eng Technol, 6(3), 294-302.
- Shen Y, Zificsak CA, Shea JE, Lao X, Bollt O, Li X, Lisko JG, Theroff JP, Scaife CL, Ator MA, Ruggeri BA, Dorsey BD, and Kuwada SK (). Design, synthesis, and biological evaluation of sulfonyl acrylonitriles as novel inhibitors of cancer metastasis and spread. J Med Chem, 58(3), 1140-58.
- Gu Y, Shea J, Slattum G, Firpo MA, Alexander M, Mulvihill SJ, Golubovskaya VM, Rosenblatt J (2015). Defective apical extrusion signaling contributes to aggressive tumor hallmarks. eLife, 4, e04069.
- Shea JE, Garlick JW, Salama ME, Mendenhall SD, Moran LA, Agarwal JP (2014 Mar). Side-to-side nerve bridges reduce muscle atrophy after peripheral nerve injury in a rodent model. J Surg Res, 187(1), 350-8.
- Li H, Gale BK, Sant H, Shea J, Agarwal J (2014). Design, fabrication, and testing of a novel end-to-end vascular coupling system. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc, 2014, 6593-6.
- Rapoport N, Payne A, Dillon C, Shea J, Scaife C, Gupta R (2013). Focused ultrasound-mediated drug delivery to pancreatic cancer in a mouse model. J Ther Ultrasound, 1, 11.
- Rapoport N, Nam KH, Gupta R, Gao Z, Mohan P, Payne A, Todd N, Liu X, Kim T, Shea J, Scaife C, Parker DL, Jeong EK, Kennedy AM (). Ultrasound-mediated tumor imaging and nanotherapy using drug loaded, block copolymer stabilized perfluorocarbon nanoemulsions. J Control Release, 153(1), 4-15.
- Shea JE, Nam KH, Rapoport N, Scaife CL (2011 Mar). Genexol inhibits primary tumour growth and metastases in gemcitabine-resistant pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma. HPB (Oxford), 13(3), 153-7.
- Kopinke D, Brailsford M, Shea JE, Leavitt R, Scaife CL, Murtaugh LC (2011 Feb). Lineage tracing reveals the dynamic contribution of Hes1+ cells to the developing and adult pancreas. Development, 138(3), 431-41.
- Scaife CL, Shea J, Emerson L, Boucher K, Firpo MA, Beckerle MC, Mulvihill SJ (2010 Jun). Prognostic significance of PINCH signalling in human pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma. HPB (Oxford), 12(5), 352-8.
- Rapoport NY, Kennedy AM, Shea JE, Scaife CL, Nam KH (2009 Sep 15). Controlled and targeted tumor chemotherapy by ultrasound-activated nanoemulsions/microbubbles. J Control Release, 138(3), 268-76.
- Rapoport N, Kennedy AM, Shea JE, Scaife CL, Nam KH (). Ultrasonic nanotherapy of pancreatic cancer: lessons from ultrasound imaging. Mol Pharm, 7(1), 22-31.
- Torgenson MJ, Shea JE, Firpo MA, Dai Q, Mulvihill SJ, Scaife CL (2008 Sep). Natural history of pancreatic cancer recurrence following "curative" resection in athymic mice. J Surg Res, 149(1), 57-61.
- Scaife CL, Shea JE, Dai Q, Firpo MA, Prestwich GD, Mulvihill SJ (2008 Jun). Synthetic extracellular matrix enhances tumor growth and metastasis in an orthotopic mouse model of pancreatic adenocarcinoma. J Gastrointest Surg, 12(6), 1074-80.
- Matsushita H, Barrios JA, Shea JE, Miller SC (2008). Dietary fish oil results in a greater bone mass and bone formation indices in aged ovariectomized rats. J Bone Miner Metab, 26(3), 241-7.
- Warner SE, Shea JE, Miller SC, Shaw JM (2006 Dec). Adaptations in cortical and trabecular bone in response to mechanical loading with and without weight bearing. Calcif Tissue Int, 79(6), 395-403.
- Bloebaum RD, Lundeen GA, Shea JE, Whitaker EL (2004 Dec). Age-related mineralization heterogeneity changes in trabecular bone of the proximal femur. Anat Rec A Discov Mol Cell Evol Biol, 281(2), 1296-302.
- Shea JE, Bowman BM, Miller SC (2003 Sep). Alterations in skeletal and mineral metabolism following thermal injuries. J Musculoskelet Neuronal Interact, 3(3), 214-22.
- Shea JE, Miller SC, Poole DC, Mattson JP (). Rapid Changes in Cortical Bone Dynamics and Strength After Induction of Emphysema in a Hamster Model. J Appl Physiol, 95(2), 631-34.
- Shea JE, Hallows RK, Ricks S, Bloebaum RD (2002 Dec 1). Microvascularization of the hypermineralized calcified fibrocartilage and cortical bone in the sheep proximal femur. Anat Rec, 268(4), 365-70.
- Shea JE, Hallows RK, Bloebaum RD (2002 Mar 1). Experimental confirmation of the sheep model for studying the role of calcified fibrocartilage in hip fractures and tendon attachments. Anat Rec, 266(3), 177-83.
- Shea JE, Vajda EG, Bloebaum RD (2001 Feb). Evidence of a hypermineralised calcified fibrocartilage on the human femoral neck and lesser trochanter. J Anat, 198(Pt 2), 153-62.
- Willie BM, Shea JE, Bloebaum RD, Hofmann AA (2000). Elemental and morphological identification of third-body particulate and calcium stearate inclusions in polyethylene components. J Biomed Mater Res, 53(2), 137-42.
- Deer EL, Gonzalez-Hernandez J, Coursen JD, Shea JE, Ngatia J, Scaife CL, Firpo MA, Mulvihill SJ (2010 May). Phenotype and genotype of pancreatic cancer cell lines. [Review]. Pancreas, 39(4), 425-35.
- Shea JE, Miller SC (2005 May 25). Skeletal function and structure: implications for tissue-targeted therapeutics. [Review]. Adv Drug Deliv Rev, 57(7), 945-57.
- Labroo P, Sant H, Ho S, Gale B, Shea JE, Agarwal J (). Controlled local delivery of growth factors and small molecules for peripheral nerve regeneration [Abstract]. AIChE Annual Meeting.
- Beal HL, Shea J, Firpo M, Mulvihill S, Scaife C (). Poor PDA patient prognosis predicts xenograft tumor engraftment likelihood [Abstract]. Academic Surgical Congress.
- Beal H, Shea J, Witt B, Adler DG, Mulvihill SJ, Downs-Kelly E, Firpo MA, Scaife CL (). Accuracy of diagnocing pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma by EUS-FNA at a signle institution [Abstract]. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 33(3), 258.
- Terry C, Agarwal J, He Y, Heilshorn S, Morisseau C, Shea JE (). Soluble epoxide hydrolase inhibitor for nerve regeneration: delivery by synthetic nerve condiut [Abstract]. Biomedical Engineering Society.
- Ho S, Lin KM, Sant H, Shea J, Agarwal J, Gale B (). Bioresorbably multi-drug delivery conduit to promote peripheral nerve regenreation [Abstract]. Biomedical Engineering Society.
- Payne A, Koopmann M, Shea J, de Vever J, Reyes J, Minalga E, Merrill R, Hadley R, Parker D, Marrouche N (). Sympathetic renal denervation using MR guided focused ultrasound in a porcine model: a feasibility study [Abstract]. Internation Society of Magnetic Resonance in Medicine.
- Lin KM, Gale B, Sant H, Shea J, Sander W, Terry C, Agarwal J (). Preliminary study of PLGA drug delivery nerve conduit for potential application in nerve regeneration [Abstract]. Biomedical Engineering Soceity.
- Shea JE, Done LJ, Garlick JW, Mendenhall SD, Agarwal JP (). Reduction in muscle atrophy with the use of side-to-side nerve bridges [Abstract]. Plastic Surgery Research Council.