Jill Shea, PhD
- Departments: Surgery - Research Assistant Professor
- Divisions: General Surgery
- Cancer Center Programs: Affiliate, non-programmatically aligned
Academic Office Information
Maxwell M. Wintrobe Research and Education Building
26 N Medical Dr, Room: 201
Salt Lake City, UT 84132
Jill Shea, PhD, is a Research Assistant Professor in the Department of Surgery at the University of Utah School of Medicine and an investigator of the Huntsman Cancer Institute. The central goal of her research is to improve surgical outcomes through translational research.
To accomplish this goal she is currently developing three key areas of research: 1) surgical intervention, 2) imaging, and 3) drug treatment. Specific projects include the development of new nerve guide conduits to improve patient outcomes following traumatic injuries, development of new imaging techniques to treat pancreatic cancer, and development of animal models for pancreas cancer to assist in the development of new therapeutic approaches. Though these projects seem diverse they all share the common theme of advancing current treatments relevant to the Department of Surgery.
|Postdoctoral Fellowship||University of Utah
|Postdoctoral Fellowship||University of Utah
|Doctoral Training||University of Utah
|Undergraduate||University of Oregon
Exercise and Movement Science: Biomechanics
- Davis B, Hilgart D, Erickson S, Labroo P, Burton J, Sant H, Shea J, Gale B, Agarwal J (2019). Local FK506 delivery at the direct nerve repair site improves nerve regeneration. (Epub ahead of print) Muscle Nerve.
- Kinsey CG, Camolotto SA, Boespflug AM, Guillen KP, Foth M, Truong A, Schuman SS, Shea JE, Seipp MT, Yap JT, Burrell LD, Lum DH, Whisenant JR, Gilcrease GW 3rd, Cavalieri CC, Rehbein KM, Cutler SL, Affolter KE, Welm AL, Welm BE, Scaife CL, Snyder EL, McMahon M (2019). Protective autophagy elicited by RAF→MEK→ERK inhibition suggests a treatment strategy for RAS-driven cancers. Nat Med, 25(4), 620-627.
- Labroo P, Hilgart D, Davis B, Lambert C, Sant H, Gale B, Shea JE, Agarwal J (2018). Drug-delivering nerve conduit improves regeneration in a critical-sized gap. Biotechnol Bioeng, 116(1), 143-154.
- Davis B, Wojtalewicz S, Labroo P, Shea J, Sant H, Gale B, Agarwal J (2018). Controlled release of FK506 from micropatterned PLGA films: potential for application in peripheral nerve repair. Neural Regen Res, 13(7), 1247-1252.
- Li CW, Davis B, Shea J, Sant H, Gale BK, Agarwal J (2018). Optimization of micropatterned poly(lactic-co-glycolic acid) films for enhancing dorsal root ganglion cell orientation and extension. Neural Regen Res, 13(1), 105-111.
- Labroo P, Shea J, Edwards K, Ho S, Davis B, Sant H, Goodwin I, Gale B, Agarwal J (2017). Novel drug delivering conduit for peripheral nerve regeneration. J Neural Eng, 14(6), 066011.
- Shea J, de Bever J, Kholmovski E, Beal H, Hadley JR, Minalga E, Salama ME, Marrouche NF, Payne A (2017). Effect of applied energy in renal sympathetic denervation with magnetic resonance guided focused ultrasound in a porcine model. J Ther Ultrasound, 5, 16.
- Labroo P, Shea J, Sant H, Gale B, Agarwal J (2016). Effect Of combining FK506 and neurotrophins on neurite branching and elongation. Muscle Nerve, 55(4), 570-581.
- Li H, Gale B, Shea J, Sant H, Terry CM, Agarwal J (2017). Vascular Coupling System for End-to-End Anastomosis: An In Vivo Pilot Case Report. Cardiovasc Eng Technol, 8(1), 91-95.
- Labroo P, Ho S, Sant H, Shea J, Gale BK, Agarwal J (2016). Controlled Delivery of FK506 to Improve Nerve Regeneration. Shock, 46(3 Suppl 1), 154-9.
- Beal H, Shea J, Witt B, Adler D, Downs-Kelly E, Firpo M, Mulvihill S, and Scaife C (2016). Accuracy of diagnosing PDA, Neuroendocrine tumors, and IPMN by EUS-FNA at a single institution. J Gastroenterol Hepatol, 4(2), on line.
- Koopmann M, Shea J, Kholmovski E, de Bever J, Minalga E, Holbrook M, Merrill R, Hadley JR, Owan T, Salama ME, Marrouche NF, Payne A (2016). Renal sympathetic denervation using MR-guided high-intensity focused ultrasound in a porcine model. J Ther Ultrasound, 4, 3.
- Li H, Gale BK, Sant H, Shea J, David Bell E, Agarwal J (2015). A Novel Vascular Coupling System for End-to-End Anastomosis. Cardiovasc Eng Technol, 6(3), 294-302.
- Gupta R, Shea J, Scafe C, Shurlygina A, Rapoport N (2015). Polymeric micelles and nanoemulsions as drug carriers: Therapeutic efficacy, toxicity, and drug resistance. J Control Release, 212, 70-7.
- Shen Y, Zificsak CA, Shea JE, Lao X, Bollt O, Li X, Lisko JG, Theroff JP, Scaife CL, Ator MA, Ruggeri BA, Dorsey BD, and Kuwada SK (2015). Design, synthesis, and biological evaluation of sulfonyl acrylonitriles as novel inhibitors of cancer metastasis and spread. J Med Chem, 58(3), 1140-58.
- Gu Y, Shea J, Slattum G, Firpo MA, Alexander M, Mulvihill SJ, Golubovskaya VM, Rosenblatt J (2015). Defective apical extrusion signaling contributes to aggressive tumor hallmarks. eLife, 4, e04069.
- Shea JE, Garlick JW, Salama ME, Mendenhall SD, Moran LA, Agarwal JP (2014). Side-to-side nerve bridges reduce muscle atrophy after peripheral nerve injury in a rodent model. J Surg Res, 187(1), 350-8.
- Li H, Gale BK, Sant H, Shea J, Agarwal J (2014). Design, fabrication, and testing of a novel end-to-end vascular coupling system. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc, 2014, 6593-6.
- Rapoport N, Nam KH, Gupta R, Gao Z, Mohan P, Payne A, Todd N, Liu X, Kim T, Shea J, Scaife C, Parker DL, Jeong EK, Kennedy AM (2011). Ultrasound-mediated tumor imaging and nanotherapy using drug loaded, block copolymer stabilized perfluorocarbon nanoemulsions. J Control Release, 153(1), 4-15.
- Rapoport N, Kennedy AM, Shea JE, Scaife CL, Nam KH (2009). Ultrasonic nanotherapy of pancreatic cancer: lessons from ultrasound imaging. Mol Pharm, 7(1), 22-31.
- Shea JE, Miller SC, Poole DC, Mattson JP (2003). Cortical bone dynamics, strength, and densitometry after induction of emphysema in hamsters. J Appl Physiol, 95(2), 631-4.
- Kinsey CG, Camolotto SA, Boespflug AM, Guillen KP, Foth M, Truong A, Schuman SS, Shea JE, Seipp MT, Yap JT, Burrell LD, Lum DH, Whisenant JR, Gilcrease GW 3rd, Cavalieri CC, Rehbein KM, Cutler SL, Affolter KE, Welm AL, Welm BE, Scaife CL, Snyder EL, McMahon M (2019). Publisher Correction: Protective autophagy elicited by RAF→MEK→ERK inhibition suggests a treatment strategy for RAS-driven cancers. Nat Med (25(5), p. 861). United States.