P. Daniel Ward, MD, MS, FACS
- Facial Injuries
- Facial Nerve
- Facial Nerve Diseases
- Facial Nerve Disorders
- Facial Nerve Injuries
- Facial Paralysis
- Plastic Surgery, Facial
- Plastic Surgery, Cosmetic
- Electrodes, Implanted
- Flap Reconstruction of Traumatic Wounds
- Mohs Surgery
- Skin Cancer
- Skin Cancer Surgery
- Clinical Outcomes
- Trauma Outcomes
- Patient Satisfaction
- Departments: Surgery - Adjunct Associate Professor
- Divisions: Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
- American Board of Otolaryngology
- American Board of Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
Academic Office Information
School of Medicine
Otolaryngology--Head and Neck Surgery
30 N 1900 E, Room: 3C120
Salt Lake City, UT 84132
Dr. Ward is the Director of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon in the Division of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery at the University of Utah School of Medicine. Dr. Ward's practice involves cosmetic and reconstructive surgery of the face.
Cosmetic procedures performed include rhinoplasty (nose job), face lift, neck lift, mini-face lift, otoplasty (ear pinning), brow lift (both endoscopic and open), blepharoplasty (eyelid lift and removal of lower eyelid bags), laser resurfacing, chemical peels, Botox injections, hair and eyebrow restoration, filler injections, lip injections and implants, and facial implants.
Reconstructive procedures performed include nasal reconstruction to improve nasal breathing, facial reconstruction after removal of cancer, repair of facial trauma, and reanimation of the paralyzed face. He serves as Director of the Multidisciplinary Utah Facial Nerve Center and is actively involved on an international level to try and improve the facial appearance and function in patients with facial paralysis.
In addition to his dynamic clinical practice, he actively teaches residents and medical students through formal lectures, conferences, and rounds.
He is currently involved in many research projects. Active endeavors include the development of a neuroprosthesis to restore facial function in patients with facial paralysis, outcomes research in patients with facial defects after skin cancer removal, determining the best treatment for patients with facial paralysis, nasal valve reconstruction, education in surgical residency programs, physician understanding about the impact of medical care expense, and factors associated with improving patient satisfaction with their medical care.
He serves on several local and national committees, including the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Research Committee, Specialty Surgery Committee on Vascular Anomalies, Young Physician's Committee, Nominating Committee; the American Academy of Otolaryngology--Head and Neck Surgery Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery Committee, Young Physician Committee, Education Committee; and numerous University of Utah Health Sciences Committees.
|Fellowship||University of Michigan
American Academy of Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
|Residency||University of Michigan
Otolaryngology—Head and Neck Surgery
|Internship||University of Michigan
|Professional Medical||University of Utah
|Graduate Training||Utah State University
Chemistry (Theoretical Chemical Physics)
|Undergraduate||Utah State University
Chemistry (Life Science Emphasis)
- Joseph K Han, Scott P Stringer, Richard M Rosenfeld, Sanford M Archer, Dole P Baker, Seth M Brown, David R Edelstein, Stacey T Gray, Timothy S Lian, Erin J Ross, Allen M Seiden, Michael Setzen, Travis T Tollefson, P Daniel Ward, Kevin C Welch, Sarah K Wise, and Lorraine C Nnacheta (November 2015). Clinical Consensus Statement: Septoplasty with or without Inferior Turbinate Reduction. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, 153(5), 708-20.
- Gurgel RK, Ward PD, Schwartz S, Norton MC, Foster NL, Tschanz JT (2014 Jun). Relationship of hearing loss and dementia: a prospective, population-based study. Otol Neurotol, 35(5), 775-81.
- Wilson KF, Ward PD, Meier, J (2014). Salivary Gland Disorders. Am Fam Physician.
- Ward PD, Collar R (2013). Decision making in nasal reconstruction. Facial Plast Surg, 29(5), 340-5.
- Ward PD, London N, Collar R (2013). Role of secondary intention healing. Facial Plast Surg, 29(5), 346-50.
- Error ME, Wilson KF, Ward PD, Gale DC, Meier JD (2013 Mar). Assessment of otolaryngic knowledge in primary care residents. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, 148(3), 420-4.
- Dobrosotskaya IY, Bellile E, Spector ME, Kumar B, Feng F, Eisbruch A, Wolf GT, Prince ME, Moyer JS, Teknos T, Chepeha DB, Walline HM, McHugh JB, Cordell KG, Ward PD, Byrd S, Maxwell JH, Urba S, Bradford CR, Carey TE, Worden FP (2013). Weekly chemotherapy with radiation versus high-dose cisplatin with radiation as organ preservation for patients with HPV positive and HPV negative locally advanced squamous cell carcinoma of the oropharynx (SCCOP). Head Neck, 2013 Apr(10.1002), hed.23339.
- Richer SL, Geisthoff UW, Livada N, Ward PD, Johnson L, Mainka A, Henderson KJ, Maune S, White RI Jr, Ross DA (2012). The Young's procedure for severe epistaxis from hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia. Am J Rhinol Allergy, 26(5), 401-4.
- Spector ME, Chinn SB, Rosko AJ, Worden FP, Ward PD, Divi V, McLean SA, Moyer JS, Prince ME, Wolf GT, Chepeha DB, Bradford CR (2012). Diagnostic modalities for distant metastasis in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma: are we changing life expectancy? Laryngoscope, 122(7), 1507-11.
- Pepper JP, Ward PD, Lin EM, Sullivan SE, Hecht SL, Marentette LJ (2011). Perioperative outcomes in patients undergoing the transglabellar/subcranial approach to the anterior skull base. Skull Base, 21(4), 215-22.
- Wilson KF, Ward PD, Spector ME, Marentette LJ (2011). Orbitocranial approach for treatment of adenoid cystic carcinoma of the lacrimal gland. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol, 120(6), 397-400.
- Collar RM, Ward PD, Baker SR (2011). Reconstructive perspectives of cutaneous defects involving the nasal tip: a retrospective review. Arch Facial Plast Surg, 13(2), 91-6.
- Maxwell JH, Kumar B, Feng FY, Worden FP, Lee JS, Eisbruch A, Wolf GT, Prince ME, Moyer JS, Teknos TN, Chepeha DB, McHugh JB, Urba SG, Stoerker J, Walline HM, Kurnit DM, Cordell KG, Davis SJ, Ward PD, Bradford CR, Carey TE (2010). Tobacco use in human papillomavirus-positive advanced oropharynx cancer patients related to increased risk of distant metastases and tumor recurrence. Clin Cancer Res, 16(4), 1226-35.
- Ward PD, Heth JA, Thompson BG, Marentette LJ (2009). Esthesioneuroblastoma: Results and Outcomes of a Single Institution's Experience. Skull Base, 19(2), 133-40.
- Ward PD, Baker SR (2008). Long-term results of carbon dioxide laser resurfacing of the face. Arch Facial Plast Surg, 10(4), 238-43; discussion 244-5.
- Gilbert ME, Kirker KR, Gray SD, Ward PD, Szakacs JG, Prestwich GD, Orlandi RR (2004). Chondroitin sulfate hydrogel and wound healing in rabbit maxillary sinus mucosa. Laryngoscope, 114(8), 1406-9.
- Ward PD, Thibeault SL, Gray SD (2002). Hyaluronic acid: its role in voice. J Voice, 16(3), 303-9.
- Ward PD (2015). Otolaryngology Maintenance Manual for Lifelong Learning. New York: Thieme Medical Publishers.
- Ward PD, Maxwell JH (2011). Ablative Laser Facial Resurfacing. In Erian A, Shiffman MA (Eds.), Surgical Facial Rejuvenation.
- Ward PD, Telian S (2010). Retrolabyrinthine and Retrosigmoid Approaches for Vestibular Neurectomy. In Brackmann D, Shelton C, Arriaga M (Eds.), Otologic Surgery (3rd Edition). Elsevier Inc.
- Ward PD, Baker SR (2008). Edited by Daniel Buchen, MD, McGraw-Hill. [Review of the book Skin Flaps in Facial Surgery]. Archives of Facial Plastic Surgery, 10, 67.
- Ward DP, Baker SR (2007). By Andreas Michalsen, MD, Manfred Roth PhD, and Gustav Dobos, MD. [Review of the book Medicinal Leech Therapy]. Archives of Facial Plastic Surgery, 10, 67.
- Lalich IJ, Ward PD (2011). Radiology quiz case 3. Diagnosis: lingual tonsillar hypertrophy (LTH). Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, 137(6), 630, 633-4.
- Thomas JG, Lahoud OB, Ward PD, McHugh JB, Pynnonen MA (2008). Pathology quiz case. Nasal hamartoma, fibroglandular type. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, 134(7), 783-5.
- Ward PD (Reviewer). Clinical Practice Guideline: Bell’s palsy. American Academy of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery.
- Ward PD (Reviewer). Patient Management Perspectives on Adult with Penetrating Neck Trauma. American Academy of Otolaryngology--Head and Neck Surgery.
- Hunter BN, Timmins BH, McDonald J, Ward PD, Wilson KF (May 2014). Severity and Progression of Epistaxis in ENG (HHT1) vs. ACVRL1 (HHT2). Poster session presented at COSM, Las Vegas.
- Timmins BH, Hunter BN, Wilson KF, Ward PD (May 2014). Treatment of Severe Epistaxis in Patients with Hereditary Hemorrahagic Telangiectasia Using a Simple Two-Flap Nasal Closure Method. Poster session presented at COSM, Las Vegas.
- Whitehead K, McDonald J, Wilson K, Ward PD (July 2015). Nosebleed severity does not predict likelihood of brain and lung AVM. Poster session presented at HHT Annual Conference, Santa Clara, CA.
- Gurgel R, Ward PD, Schwartz S, Norton M, Foster N (2013). Relationship of hearing loss and dementia: a prospective population-based study.
- Ward PD, Hooton J, Moyer J, Prince M, Wolf GT, Bradford CR, Teknos TN (2008). Incidence of Bone Metastases from Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Poster session presented at 7th International Conference on Head and Neck Oncology, San Francisco, CA.