Damon Toth, PhD, MS
- Departments: Internal Medicine - Research Assistant Professor
- Divisions: Epidemiology
Academic Office Information
Div of Epidemiology
295 Chipeta Way
Salt Lake City, UT 84108
Damon Toth, PhD, is an Assistant Professor in The Research Track in the Division of Epidemiology, Department of Internal Medicine, and an Adjunct Assistant Professor in the Department of Mathematics. As an applied mathematician, his research interests include mathematical modeling and simulation of the spread of infectious diseases.
Dr. Toth’s research accomplishments include major contributions to the Final Supplementary Risk Assessment for the Boston University National Emerging Infectious Diseases Laboratories (NEIDL). His ongoing work includes network and transmission modeling for the CDC-sponsored Contacts among Utah’s School-age Population (CUSP) project, modeling of the infection and transmission of Clostidium difficile in hospitals, and modeling of dose-response, incubation period, and transmission of infectious pathogens for use in risk analysis and outbreak prediction and surveillance.
Dr. Toth received his PhD in Applied Mathematics from the University of Washington. He received post-doctoral training in the Mathematical Biology group in the University of Utah’s Department of Mathematics.
|Postdoctoral Training||University of Utah
|Doctoral Training||University of Washington
|Graduate Training||University of Washington
- Toth DJA, Khader K, Beams A, Samore MH (2019). Model-based Assessment of the Effect of Contact Precautions Applied to Surveillance-detected Carriers of Carbapenemase-producing Enterobacteriaceae in Long-term Acute Care Hospitals. Clin Infect Dis, 69(Supplement_3), S206-S213.
- Khader K, Thomas A, Jones M, Toth D, Stevens V, Samore MH, CDC Modeling Infectious Diseases in Healthcare Program MInD-Healthcare (2019). Variation and trends in transmission dynamics of Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in veterans affairs hospitals and nursing homes. Epidemics, 28, 100347.
- Pettey WBP, Carter ME, Toth DJA, Samore MH, Gundlapalli AV (2017). Constructing Ebola transmission chains from West Africa and estimating model parameters using internet sources. Epidemiol Infect, 145(10), 1993-2002.
- Toth DJ, Tanner WD, Khader K, Gundlapalli AV (2016). Estimates of the risk of large or long-lasting outbreaks of Middle East respiratory syndrome after importations outside the Arabian Peninsula. Epidemics, 16, 27-32.
- Beams AB, Toth DJ, Khader K, Adler FR (2016). Harnessing Intra-Host Strain Competition to Limit Antibiotic Resistance: Mathematical Model Results. Bull Math Biol, 78(9), 1828-1846.
- Pettey WB, Toth DJ, Redd A, Carter ME, Samore MH, Gundlapalli AV (2016). Using network projections to explore co-incidence and context in large clinical datasets: Application to homelessness among U.S. Veterans. J Biomed Inform, 61, 203-13.
- Leecaster M, Toth DJ, Pettey WB, Rainey JJ, Gao H, Uzicanin A, Samore M (2016). Estimates of Social Contact in a Middle School Based on Self-Report and Wireless Sensor Data. PLoS ONE, 11(4), e0153690.
- Tanner WD, Toth DJ, Gundlapalli AV (2015). The pandemic potential of avian influenza A(H7N9) virus: a review. Epidemiol Infect, 143(16), 3359-74.
- Slayton RB, Toth D, Lee BY, Tanner W, Bartsch SM, Khader K, Wong K, Brown K, McKinnell JA, Ray W, Miller LG, Rubin M, Kim DS, Adler F, Cao C, Avery L, Stone NT, Kallen A, Samore M, Huang SS, Fridkin S, Jernigan JA (2015). Vital Signs: Estimated Effects of a Coordinated Approach for Action to Reduce Antibiotic-Resistant Infections in Health Care Facilities - United States. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep, 64(30), 826-31.
- Toth DJ, Gundlapalli AV, Khader K, Pettey WB, Rubin MA, Adler FR, Samore MH (2015). Estimates of Outbreak Risk from New Introductions of Ebola with Immediate and Delayed Transmission Control. Emerging Infectious Diseases, 21(8), 1402-8.
- Toth DJ, Leecaster M, Pettey WB, Gundlapalli AV, Gao H, Rainey JJ, Uzicanin A, Samore MH (2015). The role of heterogeneity in contact timing and duration in network models of influenza spread in schools. J R Soc Interface, 12(108), 20150279.
- Rubin MA, Jones M, Leecaster M, Khader K, Ray W, Huttner A, Huttner B, Toth D, Sablay T, Borotkanics RJ, Gerding DN, Samore MH (2013). A simulation-based assessment of strategies to control Clostridium difficile transmission and infection. PLoS ONE, 8(11), e80671.
- Toth DJ, Gundlapalli AV, Schell WA, Bulmahn K, Walton TE, Woods CW, Coghill C, Gallegos F, Samore MH, Adler FR (2013). Quantitative models of the dose-response and time course of inhalational anthrax in humans. PLoS Pathog, 9(8), e1003555.
- Toth DJ (2012). Bifurcation structure of a chemostat model for an age-structured predator and its prey. J Biol Dyn, 2(4), 428-48.
- Toth D, Kot M (2006). Limit cycles in a chemostat model for a single species with age structure. Math BioSci, 202(1), 194-217.