VanDerslice, James Albert, PhD
Interim Chief, Division of Public Health
- Exposure Assessment Using GIS and Environmental Modeling
- Historical Exposure Characterization
- Improving Water and Sanitation Interventions
- Antibiotic Resistant Organisms in the Environment
- Transmission of Antibiotic Resistant Organisms via Fecal-Oral Routes
- Statistical Analysis of Environmental Data
- Drinking Water Quality
- Community Health Needs Assessments
- Departments: Family & Preventive Medicine - Associate Professor
- Divisions: Public Health
Jim VanDerslice, PhD is an Associate Professor in the Division of Public Health. His research focuses on evaluating human exposures to chemical and microbiological hazards in the environment. Several of his studies have examined contaminants in drinking water and foods, and their effects on infants and children. He utilizes Geographic Information Systems (GIS) as a tool to assess spatial patterns in exposures. He has recently become interested in the effects of the built environment on physical activity and obesity, and is using GIS to classify the built environment of SLC neighborhoods using spatial data and aerial imagery.
James VanDerslice, MSEE, PhD, is an environmental epidemiologist who focuses on methods to assess community exposures and the relationships between these exposures and a wide variety of health outcomes. He is currently working on studies of the impacts of poor ambient air quality on suicide, pneumonia, sperm quality, carcinoid and testicular cancer and pre-term birth. Dr. VanDerslice also has a long-standing interest in the impacts of poor drinking water quality, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) in low-resource settings and the engineering, social and economic systems needed for sustainable improvements in WASH. His current research focuses on the spread of antimicrobial-resistant enteric organisms from human and animals’ wastes to human populations.
|Postdoctoral Fellowship||University of North Carolina
Modeling Joint Effects of Environmental Risk Factors
|Doctoral Training||University of North Carolina, School of Public Health
Environmental Sciences and Engineering
|Graduate Training||University of North Carolina, School of Public Health
Environmental Sciences and Engineering
|Undergraduate||Humboldt State University
Environmental Resources Engineering
- Ou JY, Hanson HA, Ramsay JM, Leiser CL, Zhang Y, VanDerslice JA, Pope CA 3rd, Kirchhoff AC (2019 Mar 26). Fine Particulate Matter and Respiratory Healthcare Encounters among Survivors of Childhood Cancers.LID - E1081 [pii]LID - 10.3390/ijerph16061081 [doi]. Int J Environ Res Public Health, 16(6).
- Leiser CL, Hanson HA, Sawyer K, Steenblik J, Al-Dulaimi R, Madsen T, Gibbins K, Hotaling JM, Ibrahim YO, VanDerslice JA, Fuller M (2019 Feb). Acute effects of air pollutants on spontaneous pregnancy loss: a case-crossover study. Fertil Steril, 111(2), 341-347.
- Tanner WD, VanDerslice JA, Goel RK, Leecaster MK, Fisher MA, Olstadt J, Gurley CM, Morris AG, Seely KA, Chapman L, Korando M, Shabazz KA, Stadsholt A, VanDeVelde J, Braun-Howland E, Minihane C, Higgins PJ, Deras M, Jaber O, Jette D, Gundlapalli AV (2019 Mar 8). Multi-state study of Enterobacteriaceae harboring extended-spectrum beta-lactamase and carbapenemase genes in U.S. drinking water. Sci Rep, 9(1), 3938.
- Pirozzi CS, Jones BE, VanDerslice JA, Zhang Y, Paine R 3rd, Dean NC (2018 Apr). Short-Term Air Pollution and Incident Pneumonia. A Case-Crossover Study. Ann Am Thorac Soc, 15(4), 449-459.
- Knighton, AJ, Savitz, LA, Benuzillo J, VanDerslice JA (). It takes a village: Exploring the impact of social determinants on delivery system outcomes for heart failure patients. Healthc (Amst), 6(2), 112-116.
- Nguyen QC, Brunisholz KD, Yu W, McCullough M, Hanson HA, Litchman ML, Li F, Wan Y, VanDerslice JA, Wen M, Smith KR (2017 Nov 27). Twitter-derived neighborhood characteristics associated with obesity and diabetes. Sci Rep, 7(1), 16425.
- Talboys S, Kaur M, VanDerslice JA, Gren LH, Bhattacharya H, Sandhu AK, Alder SC (). Is eve teasing a public health problem? Public sexual harassment in rural India and its association with common mental disorders and suicide ideation among young women ages 15-24. Ann Glob Health, 82(3), 561-562.
- Talboys SL, Kaur M, VanDerslice JA, Gren LH, Bhattacharya H, Alder SC (). What Is Eve Teasing? A Mixed Methods Study of Sexual Harassment of Young Women in the Rural Indian Context. Sage Open, 7(1), DOI:10.1177/215.
- Malecki KMC, Schultz AA, Severtson DJ, Anderson HA, VanDerslice JA (2017 Dec 1). Private-well stewardship among a general population based sample of private well-owners. Sci Total Environ, 601-602, 1533-1543.
- Tanner WD, Atkinson RM, Goel RK, Toleman MA, Benson LS, Porucznik CA, VanDerslice JA (2017 Apr 1). Horizontal transfer of the blaNDM-1 gene to Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Acinetobacter baumannii in biofilms.LID - 10.1093/femsle/fnx048 [doi]. FEMS Microbiol Lett, 364(8).
- Neklason DW, VanDerslice J, Curtin K, Cannon-Albright LA (2016 Feb). Evidence for a heritable contribution to neuroendocrine tumors of the small intestine. Endocr Relat Cancer, 23(2), 93-100.
- Knighton AJ, Savitz L, Belnap T, Stephenson B, VanDerslice J (2016). Introduction of an Area Deprivation Index Measuring Patient Socioeconomic Status in an Integrated Health System: Implications for Population Health. EGEMS (Wash DC), 4(3), 1238.
- Hashibe M, Abdelaziz S, Al-Temimi M, Fraser A, Boucher KM, Smith K, Lee YA, Rowe K, Rowley B, Daurelle M, Holton AE, VanDerslice J, Richiardi L, Bishoff J, Lowrance W, Stroup A (2016 Dec). Long-term health effects among testicular cancer survivors. J Cancer Surviv, 10(6), 1051-1057.
- Tanner WD, Atkinson RM, Goel RK, Porucznik CA, Benson LS, VanDerslice JA (2016 Jan). Effect of Meropenem Concentration on the Detection of Low Numbers of Carbapenem-Resistant Enterobacteriaceae. Antimicrob Agents Chemother, 60(1), 712-3.
- Nguyen QC, Kath S, Meng HW, Li D, Smith KR, VanDerslice JA, Wen M, Li F (2016 Aug). Leveraging geotagged Twitter data to examine neighborhood happiness, diet, and physical activity. Appl Geogr, 73, 77-88.
- Frederick L, VanDerslice J, Taddie M, Malecki K, Gregg J, Faust N, Johnson WP (2016 Mar 15). Contrasting regional and national mechanisms for predicting elevated arsenic in private wells across the United States using classification and regression trees. Water Res, 91, 295-304.
- Tanner WD, VanDerslice JA, Toor D, Benson LS, Porucznik CA, Goel RK, Atkinson RM (2015 Jul). Development and field evaluation of a method for detecting carbapenem-resistant bacteria in drinking water. Syst Appl Microbiol, 38(5), 351-7.
- Waters AB, VanDerslice J, Porucznik C, Kim J, Durrant L, DeLegge R (2015 Jun). The effect of follow-up inspections on critical violations identified during restaurant inspections. J Environ Health, 77(10), 8-12.
- Manortey S, VanDerslice J, Alder S, Henry KA, Crookston B, Dickerson T, Benson S (2014 Feb 4). Spatial Analysis of Factors Associated with Household Subscription to the National Health Insurance Scheme in Rural Ghana. J Public Health Africa, 5(1), 353.
- Manortey S, Alder S, Crookston B, Dickerson T, VanDerslice J, Benson S (2014 Feb 4). Social Deterministic Factors to Participation in the National Health Insurance Scheme in the Context of Rural Ghanaian Setting. J Public Health Africa, 5(1), 352.
- Bick R, Talboys SL, VanDerslice J, Stringer K (). Evaluation of a village-level safe water treatment and storage intervention in Bassi Pathana, India. Ann Glob Health, 06/2014(80), 3.
- Xiao Z, Yuan Y, Yang B, VanDerslice J, Chen J, Dyck O, Duscher G, Huang J (2014 May 21). Universal formation of compositionally graded bulk heterojunction for efficiency enhancement in organic photovoltaics. Adv Mater, 26(19), 3068-75.
- Hammoud AO, VanDerslice JA, Al-Temimi MH, Peterson CM, Blauer K, Carrell D (). Evidence of a recent decline in sperm count in a united states population from 2002-2010. Fertil Steril, 100(3), S13.
- Waters AB, VanDerslice J, Porucznik CA, Kim J, DeLegge R, Durrant L (2013 Jun). Impact of internet posting of restaurant inspection scores on critical violations. J Environ Health, 75(10), 8-12.
- Waters AB, VanDerslice J, Porucznik CA, Kim J, DeLegge R, Durrant L (2013 Sep). Examination of the association between announced inspections and inspection scores. J Environ Health, 76(2), 8-12.
- Stone MB, Stanford JB, Lyon JL, VanDerslice JA, Alder SC (2013 Jan). Childhood thyroid radioiodine exposure and subsequent infertility in the intermountain fallout cohort. Environ Health Perspect, 121(1), 79-84.
- Schliep KC, Schisterman EF, Mumford SL, Perkins NJ, Ye A, Pollack AZ, Zhang C, Porucznik CA, VanDerslice JA, Stanford JB, Wactawski-Wende J (2013 Apr 1). Validation of different instruments for caffeine measurement among premenopausal women in the BioCycle study. Am J Epidemiol, 177(7), 690-9.
- Arnold M, VanDerslice JA, Taylor B, Benson S, Allen S, Johnson M, Kiefer J, Boakye I, Arhinn B, Crookston BT, Ansong D (2013 Mar). Drinking water quality and source reliability in rural Ashanti region, Ghana. J Water Health, 11(1), 161-72.
- Kimbal KC, Pahler L, Larson R, VanDerslice J (2012). Monitoring diesel particulate matter and calculating diesel particulate densities using Grimm model 1.109 real-time aerosol monitors in underground mines. J Occup Environ Hyg, 9(6), 353-61.
- Law J, VanDerslice J (2011 Apr). Proximal and distal determinants of access to health care among Hispanics in El Paso County, Texas. J Immigr Minor Health, 13(2), 379-84.
- VanDerslice J (). Drinking water infrastructure and environmental disparities: Evidence and methodological considerations. Am J Public Health, 101(300189), 109-113.
- Travis PB, Goodman KJ, ORourke KM, Groves FD, Sinha D, Nicholas JS, VanDerslice J, Lackland D, Mena KD (2010 Mar). The association of drinking water quality and sewage disposal with Helicobacter pylori incidence in infants: the potential role of water-borne transmission. J Water Health, 8(1), 192-203.
- Mecham J, Pahler L, VanDerslice J, Larson R (). Monitoring concentrations of select metals in workplace smelter airborne particulates using a Grimm 2.209 Real-time Portable Aerosol Spectrometer. J Chem Health Saf, 17(2), 13-20.
- Graham JP, VanDerslice J (2007 Jun). The effectiveness of large household water storage tanks for protecting the quality of drinking water. J Water Health, 5(2), 307-13.
- Ward MH, deKok TM, Levallois P, Brender J, Gulis G, Nolan BT, VanDerslice J (2005 Nov). Workgroup report: Drinking-water nitrate and health--recent findings and research needs. Environ Health Perspect, 113(11), 1607-14.
- VanDerslice J (). Nitrate exposure among infants in Washington State. Epidemiology, 07/2004(15), 4.
- Bardin JA, VanDerslice JA (). Reporting of pesticide illness by health care providers to Washington state's pesticide illness monitoring system. Epidemiology, 07/2004(15), 4.
- Maxfield M, Daniell WE, Treser CD, VanDerslice J (2003 Oct). Aerobic residential onsite sewage systems: an evaluation of treated-effluent quality. J Environ Health, 66(3), 14-20; quiz 21-2.
- Green D, VanDerslice J, Byrd TL, Cardenas V (2002). Use of local behavioral risk factor surveillance system data in the development of health promotion programs. Health Promotion Practice, 3(4), 459-64.
- Byrd TL, VanDerslice J, Peterson SK (2001 Mar). Attitudes and beliefs about environmental hazards in three diverse communities in Texas on the border with Mexico. Rev Panam Salud Publica, 9(3), 154-60.
- Allgood C, ORourke K, VanDerslice J, Hardy MA (2000 Oct). Job satisfaction among nursing staff in a military health care facility. Mil Med, 165(10), 757-61.
- Vsquez-Montiel O, Gardea-Torresdey J, VanDerslice J (1999). Dilution effects on the quality of untreated wastewater used for irrigation along the US-Mexico border. Int J Environ Health Res, 9, 125-9.
- Gorjanc ML, Flanders WD, VanDerslice J, Hersh J, Malilay J (1999 Jun 15). Effects of temperature and snowfall on mortality in Pennsylvania. Am J Epidemiol, 149(12), 1152-60.
- Redlinger T, ORourke K, VanDerslice J (1997). Seroepidemiology and vaccination program for Hepatitis A among high risk school children in a Texas-Mexico border community. Am J Public Health, 19(87), 1715-17.
- Byrd TL, VanDerslice J, Petersen SK (1997). Variation in environmental risk perceptions and information sources among three communities in El Paso. Risk-Health, Safety and Environment, 8, 355-72.
- Mroz RC, Morales L, VanDerslice J (1996). Health and Hygiene in the Colonias: Water and Disease. Fam Community Health, 19, 49-53.
- Gorman T, Byrd T, VanDerslice J (1995). Breastfeeding Practices. Attitudes and beliefs among Hispanic women and men in Border Communities. Fam Community Health, 18, 17-27.
- VanDerslice J, Briscoe J (1995 Jan 15). Environmental interventions in developing countries: interactions and their implications. Am J Epidemiol, 141(2), 135-44.
- VanDerslice J, Popkin B, Briscoe J (1994). Drinking-water quality, sanitation, and breast-feeding: their interactive effects on infant health. Bull World Health Organ, 72(4), 589-601.
- VanDerslice J, Briscoe J (1993). All coliforms are not created equal: A comparison of the effects of water source and in-house contamination on infantile diarrheal disease. Water Resour Res, 27, 1983-95.
- Adair L, Popkin BM, VanDerslice J, Akin J, Guilkey D, Black R, Briscoe J, Flieger W (1993). Growth dynamics during the first two years: A prospective study in the Philippines. Eur J Clin Nutr, 47, 42-51.
- Baltazar J, Briscoe J, Mesola V, Moe C, Solon F, VanDerslice J, Young B (). Can the case-control method be used to assess the impact of water supply and sanitation on diarrhoea? A study in the Philippines. Bull World Health Organ, 66(5), 627-35.
- Leiser C, Smith K, VanDerslice JA, Glotzbach J, Farrell T, Hanson, H (). Air Pollution and Hospital Readmission: Considering the Competing Risk of Death in the Medicare Population. J Epidemiol Community Health.
- Singh B, Johnson W, VanDerslice JA, Singh TJ (). Seasonality of Groundwater Physicochemical Properties and Antibiotic Resistant E. coli Prevalence in Rural Punjab, India. Hydrogeol J.
- Talboys SL, VanDerslice J, Kaur M, Gren LH, Bhattacharya H, Alder SC (). Measurement of gender based harassment of female youth in rural India: Validation of an “Eve Teasing” experiences questionnaire. Violence Against Women.
- VanDerslice J (2011 Dec). Drinking water infrastructure and environmental disparities: evidence and methodological considerations. [Review]. Am J Public Health, 101 Suppl 1, S109-14.
- VanDerslice J, Liebman AK, Byrd TL (1999). Community - University Partnerships Addressing Environmental Issues along the US-Mexico Border. In Asi Es La Vida: Life and Death Along the US-Mexico Border. Greenwood Publishing Group.
- VanDerslice J (). Water use as a measure of hygienic behaviour. In Cairncross S, Kochar V (Eds.), Studying hygiene behaviour: Methods, issues, and experiences. New Delhi, India: Sage Publications.
- Adair L, VanDerslice J, Zohoori N (). Urban-rural differences in growth and diarrheal morbidity of Filipino infants. In Urban Ecology and Health in the Third World. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Burian SJ, Ward M, Banuri TJ, Ahmad SB, Mahar RB, VanDerslice JA, Ansari K, Qureshi AL, Stevenson DL (). Higher education capacity building in water resources engineering and management to support achieving the sustainable development goal for water in Pakistan. 124th ASEE Annual Conference and Exposition, Columbus; United States: Conference Paper, 2017(June, 24).
- Bukhary S, Weidhaas J, Ansari K, Mahar RB, Pomeroy C, VanDerslice JA, Burian SJ, Ahmad S (). Using Distributed Solar for Treatment of Drinking Water in Developing Countries. World Environmental and Water Resources Congress 2017.
- Frederick L, Johnson W, Pazmio E, Garcia JM, Diaz X, VanDerslice J, and Ecuador Learning Abroad Students (). Mobilization of Mining Sourced Trace Elements in the Rio Gala, Ecuador. National Geological Society of America Annual Conference, Denver, CO.
- Tanner W, Jette D, Olstadt J, VanDerslice JA (). Antimicrobial susceptibilities of Enterobacteriaceae isolated from U.S. drinking water. Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy 2015, San Diego, CA 09/2015.
- Al-Temimi M, Fraser A, Lee YC, Rowe K, Rowley B, Daurelle M, Smith K, VanDerslice J, Richiardi L, Hashibe M (). Late effects among testicular cancer survivors (1994-2011). American Society of Clinical Oncology Annual Meeting; 05/2013.
- VanDerslice J (). Nitrate Exposure and Methemoglobin Levels among Infants in Washington State. 20th Annual Conference of the; 11/2008.
- Wolff C, Vaidyanathan A, VanDerslice J, Malecki K (). Drinking water and environmental public health tracking: Assessing statewide and local water quality data sources. World Environmental and Water Resources Congress 2008, Ahupua'a - Proceedings of the World Environmental and Water Resources Congress 2008, 316.
- Thomsen C, Malecki K, Kyle A, VanDerslice J (). U.S. Approach to Environmental Health Indicators and Opportunities for International Collaboration. Epidemiology, 11/2006(17 Suppl).
- Thomsen C, Malecki K, Kyle AD, VanDerslice JA (). U.S. Environmental Health Indicators: Initial Steps, Data, and Collaboration. Epidemiology, 11/2006(17 Suppl).
- Laflamme DM, VanDerslice JA (). Using the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS) for exposure tracking: experiences from Washington State. Environ Health Perspect, 112(14), 1428-33.
- VanDerslice JA, Byrd TL, ORourke K (). Issues in Studying Populations along the U.S. - Mexico Border. Assessment of Health Effects of Pesticide Exposure in Young Children, US Environmental Protection Agency.
- Lopez C, VanDerslice J, Espinoza L, Ulmer H (). Community - Owned Epidemiologic Study. Epidemiology, 07/1998(9 Suppl).
- Dutton RJ, Rodriquez ME, Provost G, VanDerslice JA (). Environmental Health Activities on the Texas-Mexico Border, Proceedings of the 2nd International Congress on Hazardous Waste: Impacts on Human and Ecological Health. In Johnson BL, Xintaras C, Andrews JS (Eds.), 2nd International Congress on Hazardous Waste, Princeton, NJ: Princeton Scientific Publishing Co. Inc..
- Bakian AV, VanDerslice JA (). Pesticides and Autism. BMJ, 364(11149).
- Ward MH, de Kok TM, Levallois P, Brender J, Gulis G, VanDerslice J, Nolan BT (). Dietary Nitrate: Ward et al. Respond [Letter to the editor]. Environ Health Perspect, 114(8), A459-A461.
- Talboys S, Kaur M, VanDerslice JA, Gren LH, Bhattacharya H, Sandhu AK, Alder SC (). Is eve teasing a public health problem? Public sexual harassment in rural India and its association with common mental disorders and suicide ideation among young women ages 15-24; also presented as a poster at the 7th Annual Global Health Conference, Consortium of Universities for Global Health, San Francisco, CA [Abstract] [Abstract]. Annals of Global Health, 82(3), 561-2.
- Cheryl S Pirozzi, Barbara E Jones, James VanDerslice, Al Jephson, Nathan C Dean (). Short-Term Effects of Particulate Air Pollution Exposure on Incidence and Severity of Pneumonia [Abstract]. Am J Respir Crit Care Med, 19(2015), A5250.
- Malecki KC, Schultz A, Severson L, Bergmans R, VanDerslice J, Anderson HA (). Understanding Chemical and Non-Chemical Vulnerability of Private Well Owners: Results from the Survey of the Health of Wisconsin [Abstract]. Environmental Health Perspectives, 4779(2015-4779).
- Tanner WD, Atkinson RM, Porucznik CA, Benson LS, Goel RK, VanDerslice JA (). Detection of Low Numbers of Carbapenemase-Producing Bacteria on Agar Supplemented with Various Concentrations of Meropenem [Abstract]. Abstract published online for: 54th Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy of the American Society for Microbiology; Sep 5-9, 2014, Washington, D.C.
- Tanner WD, Atkinson R, Porucznik C, Benson L, Goel R, VanDerslice J (). Detection of Carbapenem-Resistant Bacteria in North Indian Drinking Water Using a Modified Fluorogenic Enzyme-Substrate Method [Abstract]. Abstract published online for: 54th Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy of the American Society for Microbiology; 2014 Sep 5-9, Washington, D.C.
- Hammound, AO, VanderSlice, J, Al-Temimi, MH, Peterson, CM, Blauer, K, Carrell, D (). Evidence of a recent decline in sperm count in a united states population from 200-2010. doi:10. 1016/j.fertnstert.2013.07.163 [Abstract]. Fertility ad Sterility, 100(3), s13.
- Panichello JD, VanDerslice J, Porucznik CA, Varner VM, Lyon JL, Luedtke PF (). Association of Elevation with Small for Gestational Age Births in Utah, 1989-2006 [Abstract]. American Journal of Epidemiology, 173(Suppl 11), 1-331.
- Panichello JD, VanDerslice j, Porucznik CA, Varner VM, Lyon JL, Luedtke PF (). Association of Arsenic in Drinking Water with Stillbirth in Utah, 1989-2006 (Abstract) [Abstract]. American Journal of Epidemiology, 173(Suppl 11), 1-331.
- Porucznik CA, VanDerslice J, Panichello JD, Schliep KC, Firth SD, Stanford JB (). Demonstration Project: Estimating exposure to drinking water contaminants among women seeking to conceive using administrative data (Abstract) [Abstract]. American Journal of Epidemiology, 169(11), S56.
- Williams HB, Lichterman J, Norris S, VanDerslice J (). Fish Contamination: Environment and Health at Risk. Perspectives (3(1)). UC Berkeley.
- VanDerslice JA, Tanner W, Brazelton W (). Impact of Human and Food Animal Wastes on Antimicrobial Gene Abundance and E. coli Susceptibility Patterns: A Watershed Approach. Atlanta, GA: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- VanDerslice J, Taddie M, Hemmert R (). National Assessment of the Potential for Surface Water Contamination by Wastes Containing Antimicrobial-Resistant Organisms. Atlanta, GA: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- VanDerslice JA, Johnson W, Malecki K, Taddie M, Gregg J, Frederick L, Faust N, Darrington A, Whiting M (). Development, Assessment and Use of Geo-statistical and Land Use Regression Models to Identify Areas with High Likelihood of Private Well Contamination. Atlanta, GA: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Panichello JD, VanDerslice JA, Porucznik CA, Tanner W (). Literature Review: Association Between Exposure to Arsenic and Adverse Reproductive Outcomes. Technical Report 5: Advancing the Science of Linkage Studies between Drinking Water Contaminants and Adverse Birth Outcomes (200-2010-37353). Atlanta, GA: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Panichello JD, VanDerslice JA, Porucznik CA, Tanner W (). Literature Review: Association Between Exposure to Disinfection by Products and Adverse Reproductive Outcomes. Technical Report 6: Advancing the Science of Linkage Studies between Drinking Water Contaminants and Adverse Birth Outcomes (200-2010-37353). Atlanta, GA: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Panichello JD, VanDerslice JA, Tanner W, Porucznik CA (). Develop and Assess Methods for Estimating Water Quality at the Tap Using SDWIS Data, Technical Report #2: Advancing the Science of Linkage Studies Between Drinking Water Contaminants and Adverse Birth Outcomes. Reported to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in partial fulfillment of Contract No. 200-2010-37353 (200-2010-37353). Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- VanDerslice JA, Allen SD, Taddie M, Groeneveld J, Parnell A, Panichello JD, Porucznik CA (). Methods and Issues in Linking Population to Community Water Systems, Technical Report #3: Advancing the Science of Linkage Studies Between Drinking Water Contaminants and Adverse Birth Outcomes. Reported to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in partial fulfillment of Contract No 200-2010-37353 (200-2010-37353). Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Porucznik CA, Tanner W, VanDerslice JA (). Compilation and Analysis of Data Regarding Drinking Water Consumption and Related Behaviors, Technical Report 4: Advancing the Science of Linkage Studies Between Drinking Water Contaminants and Adverse Birth Outcomes. Reported to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in partial fulfillment of Contract No. 200-2010-37353 (200-2010-37353). Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- VanDerslice JA, Porucznik CA, Allen SD, Tanner W (). Compilation of Data Describing Population Exposures to Arsenic and Disinfection By-Products Through Drinking Water, Technical Report 1: Advancing the Science of Linkage Studies Between Drinking Water contaminants and Adverse Birth Outcomes. Reported to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in partial fulfillment of Contract No. 200-2010-37353 (200-2010-37353). Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- VanDerslice J (). Well Water Quality and Infant health Study - Final Report (82978101). STAR Grant.
- VanDerslice J (). The Health of Washington State (Author of the following chapters: Environmental Health Overview, Drinking Water Quality, Other Issues in Environmental Health, Children's Environmental Health).
- Comeau C, Marchant P, VanDerslice J (2006). A Pilot Study of Methamphetamine Residues in Three Remediated Residential Clandestine Methamphetamine Labs. Washington State Department of Health.
- Tran N, LaFlamme D, VanDerslice J, Van Eenwyk J (). Manganese in Bainbridge Island Water-Final Report. Olympia: Washington State Department of Health.
- VanDerslice J, Baum L, Bardin J, Prado J, Tibbetts D (). Improving Data Quality in Pesticide Illness Surveillance, Final Report. Olympia, WA: Washington State Department of Health.
- VanDerslice J (). Health of Washington State: Environmental Health Overview, Drinking Water Quality, Shellfish Safety, Pesticide Related Illness, Other Issues Chapters. Olympia: Washington State Department of Health.
- VanDerslice J (). Washington State Plan for Priorities for Biomonitoring. Washington State Department of Health.
- Harmon J, Liebman A, VanDerslice J (). Healthy Homes: An Environmental Health Initiative of the Paso del Norte Health Foundation. Paso del Norte: Paso del Norte Health Foundation.
- Harmon J, Liebman AK, VanDerslice J (). Promoting handwashing through Childcare Centers: An Evaluation of a Bi-National Pilot Program. Paso Del Norte: Paso Del Norte Health Foundation.
- Patrick G, VanDerslice J (2001). Lake Whatcom Residential and Angler Fish Consumption Survey. Washington State Department of Health.
- VanDerslice J, Keuhn C (2001). Columbia Basin Well Water Quality and Infant Health Study – Final report. Washington State Department of Health.
- VanDerslice J (2000). An Analysis of the Relationship Between Proximity to Selected Industrial Facilities and Self-reported Symptoms in Sunland Park, New Mexico. New Mexico Border Health Office.
- Hart R, VanDerslice J, Vera B, Gotway-Crawford C, Kieszak S, McGeehin M, Philen R (1999). Ambient Air Quality and Acute Pediatric Respiratory Illness in the Paso del Norte Airshed. National Center for Environmental Health, Centers for Disease Prevention and Control.
- Liebman AL, VanDerslice JA (). Guide to Resources and Programs for Improving Water Supply and Wastewater Disposal in El Paso. Community-University Partnership for Environmental Justice.
- VanDerslice JA (). New Mexico Department of Health Border-Wide GIS Project (7V2028NAGX). Environmental Protection Agency.
- VanDerslice J, Green D (1998). Using Landsat TM Imagery to Update Land Use Coverages: A Feasibility Study for the Paso del Norte Region. US EPA, National Exposure Research Laboratory.
- VanDerslice J, INTERA Inc (). Well-Water Quality Assessment for Southern New Mexico. New Mexico Department of Health, Border Health Office.
- VanDerslice J, Mroz R, Byrd T (). Survey of Health and Environmental Conditions in Selected colonias of El Paso County, Texas, Final Report. Austin, Texas: Office of Border Health, Texas Department of Health.
- VanDerslice J, Byrd TL (). Development of Risk Assessment and Risk Communication Methods for the US-Mexico Border, UTEP-EPA Cooperative Agreement, Final Technical Report (CR 819849-01). Houston, Texas: University of Texas.
- VanDerslice J, Shapiro C (). Environmental Health Assessment of Sunland Park, New Mexico. Sunland Park: Sunland Park, New Mexico.
- VanDerslice J, Briscoe J (1993). The Sequencing of Environmental Interventions in Developing Countries: Interactions and their Implications. World Bank.
- VanDerslice JA (). Keeping your drinking water safe [Video]. Seattle, WA: Washington State Department of Health.