Mia Hashibe, PhD
- Cancer Epidemiology
- Head and Neck Cancers
- Cancer Survivorship
- Epidemiology, Molecular
- Global Epidemiology
- Genetic Susceptibility
- Departments: Family & Preventive Medicine - Professor, Population Health Sciences - Adjunct Associate Professor
- Divisions: Health System Innovation and Research, Public Health
Dr. Hashibe is a Professor in the Department of Family and Preventive Medicine at the University of Utah, Director of Research and Practice for the Division of Public Health, a Huntsman Cancer Institute (HCI) investigator and Director of Research Facilitation and Integration for the Utah Cancer Registry. She is a member of the Cancer Control and Population Sciences Program at HCI.
Her areas of research expertise include cancer epidemiology, cancer survivorship and disparities in cancer (. She is the Scientific Coordinator and one of the founding members of the International Head and Neck Cancer Epidemiology (INHANCE) Consortium (https://medicine.utah.edu/inhance/). Her studies include a head and neck cancer genetics study, multicenter head and neck cancer case-control study in East Asia, a lung and head and neck cancer case-control study in Nepal, head and neck cancer risk prediction modeling, and a Rural Cancer Survivors Cohort Study in Utah. More details are available on her webpage - https://uofuhealth.utah.edu/huntsman/labs/hashibe/.
Before joining HCI, Hashibe was a scientist with the International Agency for Research on Cancer in Lyon, France. She earned both a master's and doctoral degree from the University of California Los Angeles.
My areas of expertise are on global and molecular cancer epidemiology and cancer survivorship. My research projects include a head and neck cancer exome sequencing project (NIDCR R01), a head and neck cancer study in Nepal (NCI supplemental grant) and a Rural Cancer Survivors Cohort Study in Utah (NCI R01). I am a founding member and Scientific Coordinator of the INHANCE consortium, and led the data pooling effort to create the core INHANCE database with grant funding from the NCI and NIDCR. The INHANCE consortium has published >52 research papers thus far. We developed risk prediction models based on this data to calculate individualized risk estimates for head and neck cancer (NCI R21).
We have population-based cancer survivor studies for head and neck cancer, thyroid cancer, gynecologic cancers, lymphoma and colorectal cancer. We reported that obesity was a large contributor to the risk of long-term disease risks among testicular cancer survivors (NCI R03; Hashibe 2016). In the endometrial cancer pilot study, we reported on increased cardiovascular disease risks among endometrial cancer survivors (NCI R21; Soisson 2018). The aim of the cancer survivor studies is to comprehensively assess disease risks among cancer survivors in comparison to a general population cohort. I designed these studies by leveraging the Utah Population Database, which is comparable to the Scandinavian databases, with linkage across multiple statewide databases.
|Postdoctoral Fellowship||International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC)
|Doctoral Training||UCLA School of Public Health, Department of Epidemiology
UCLA/USC Molecular Genetic Epidemiology Training Program
|Graduate Training||UCLA School of Public Health, Department of Epidemiology
|Undergraduate||University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)
Biology and Japanese
|Postdoctoral Fellowship||International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC)
- Hawkins ML, Blackburn BE, Rowe K, Snyder J, Deshmukh VG, Newman M, Fraser A, Smith K, Herget K, Ganz PA, Samadder NJ, Hashibe M (2018). Endocrine and Metabolic Diseases Among Colorectal Cancer Survivors in a Population-Based Cohort. J Natl Cancer Inst, 112(1), 78-86.
- Laviana AA, Hernandez A, Huang LC, Zhao Z, Koyama T, Conwill R, Hoffman K, Feurer ID, Goodman M, Hamilton AS, Wu XC, Paddock LE, Stroup A, Cooperberg MR, Hashibe M, ONeil BB, Kaplan SH, Greenfield S, Penson DF, Barocas DA (2019). Interpretation of Domain Scores on the EPIC-How Does the Domain Score Translate into Functional Outcomes? J Urol, 202(6), 1150-1158.
- Kawakita D, Lee YA, Gren LH, Buys SS, La Vecchia C, Hashibe M (2019). Fiber intake and the risk of head and neck cancer in the prostate, lung, colorectal and ovarian (PLCO) cohort. Int J Cancer, 145(9), 2342-2348.
- Aylward A, Abdelaziz S, Hunt JP, Buchmann LO, Cannon RB, Lloyd S, Hitchcock Y, Hashibe M, Monroe MM (2019). Rates of Dysphagia-Related Diagnoses in Long-Term Survivors of Head and Neck Cancers. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, 161(4), 643-651.
- Blackburn BE, Soisson S, Rowe K, Snyder J, Fraser A, Deshmukh V, Newman M, Smith K, Herget K, Kirchhoff AC, Kepka D, Werner TL, Gaffney D, Mooney K, Hashibe M (2019). Prognostic factors for rural endometrial cancer patients in a population-based cohort. BMC Public Health, 19(1), 921.
- Gudgeon JM, Varner MW, Hashibe M, Williams MS (2019). Is immunohistochemistry-based screening for Lynch syndrome in endometrial cancer effective? The consent's the thing. Gynecol Oncol, 154(1), 131-137.
- Di Credico G, Edefonti V, Polesel J, Pauli F, Torelli N, Serraino D, Negri E, Luce D, Stucker I, Matsuo K, Brennan P, Vilensky M, Fernandez L, Curado MP, Menezes A, Daudt AW, Koifman R, Wunsch-Filho V, Holcatova I, Ahrens W, Lagiou P, Simonato L, Richiardi L, Healy C, Kjaerheim K, Conway DI, Macfarlane TV, Thomson P, Agudo A, Znaor A, Boaventura Rios LF, Toporcov TN, Franceschi S, Herrero R, Muscat J, Olshan AF, Zevallos JP, La Vecchia C, Winn DM, Sturgis EM, Li G, Fabianova E, Lissowska J, Mates D, Rudnai P, Shangina O, Swiatkowska B, Moysich K, Zhang ZF, Morgenstern H, Levi F, Smith E, Lazarus P, Bosetti C, Garavello W, Kelsey K, McClean M, Ramroth H, Chen C, Schwartz SM, Vaughan TL, Zheng T, Menvielle G, Boccia S, Cadoni G, Hayes RB, Purdue M, Gillison M, Schantz S, Yu GP, Brenner H, DSouza G, Gross ND, Chuang SC, Boffetta P, Hashibe M, Lee YA, Dal Maso L (2019). Joint effects of intensity and duration of cigarette smoking on the risk of head and neck cancer: A bivariate spline model approach. Oral Oncol, 94, 47-57.
- Garvin JH, Herget KA, Hashibe M, Kirchhoff AC, Hawley CW, Bolton D, Sweeney C (2019). Linkage between Utah All Payers Claims Database and Central Cancer Registry. Health Serv Res, 54(3), 707-713.
- Chen Y, Lee YA, Li S, Li Q, Chen CJ, Hsu WL, Lou PJ, Zhu C, Pan J, Shen H, Ma H, Cai L, He B, Wang Y, Zhou X, Ji Q, Zhou B, Wu W, Ma J, Kawakita D, Boffetta P, Zhang ZF, Dai M, Hashibe M (2019). Body mass index and the risk of head and neck cancer in the Chinese population. Cancer Epidemiol, 60, 208-215.
- Vohra SN, Sapkota A, Lee MT, Pun CB, Thakur B, Siwakoti B, Wiesenfeld PL, Hashibe M, Dallal CM (2019). Reproductive and Hormonal Factors in Relation to Lung Cancer Among Nepali Women. Front Oncol, 9, 311.
- Millar MM, Kinney AY, Camp NJ, Cannon-Albright LA, Hashibe M, Penson DF, Kirchhoff AC, Neklason DW, Gilsenan AW, Dieck GS, Stroup AM, Edwards SL, Bateman C, Carter ME, Sweeney C (2018). Predictors of Response Outcomes for Research Recruitment Through a Central Cancer Registry: Evidence From 17 Recruitment Efforts for Population-Based Studies. Am J Epidemiol, 188(5), 928-939.
- Hashim D, Genden E, Posner M, Hashibe M, Boffetta P (2019). Head and neck cancer prevention: from primary prevention to impact of clinicians on reducing burden. Ann Oncol, 30(5), 744-756.
- Khetan P, Boffetta P, Luce D, Stucker I, Curado MP, Menezes A, Wunsch-Filho V, Ahrens W, Lagiou P, Serraino D, Richiardi L, Kjaerheim K, Conway D, Thomson P, Muscat J, Mates D, Ramroth H, Menvielle G, Vaughan TL, Brenner H, Lee YA, La Vecchia C, Hashibe M, Hashim D (2019). Occupations and the Risk of Head and Neck Cancer: A Pooled Analysis of the International Head and Neck Cancer Epidemiology (INHANCE) Consortium. J Occup Environ Med, 61(5), 397-404.
- Hashibe M, Li Q, Chen CJ, Hsu WL, Lou PJ, Zhu C, Pan J, Shen H, Ma H, Cai L, He B, Wang Y, Zhou X, Ji Q, Zhou B, Wu W, Ma J, Boffetta P, Zhang ZF, Dai M, Lee YA (2019). Involuntary smoking and the risk of head and neck cancer in an East Asian population. Cancer Epidemiol, 59, 173-177.
- Lloyd S, Baraghoshi D, Tao R, Garrido-Laguna I, Gilcrease GW 3rd, Whisenant J, Weis JR, Scaife C, Pickron TB, Huang LC, Monroe MM, Abdelaziz S, Fraser AM, Smith KR, Deshmukh V, Newman M, Rowe KG, Snyder J, Samadder NJ, Hashibe M (2019). Mental Health Disorders are More Common in Colorectal Cancer Survivors and Associated With Decreased Overall Survival. Am J Clin Oncol, 42(4), 355-362.
- De Vito R, Lee YCA, Parpinel M, Serraino D, Olshan AF, Zevallos JP, Levi F, Zhang ZF, Morgenstern H, Garavello W, Kelsey K, McClean M, Schantz S, Yu GP, Boffetta P, Chuang SC, Hashibe M, La Vecchia C, Parmigiani G, Edefonti V (2018). Shared and Study-specific Dietary Patterns and Head and Neck Cancer Risk in an International Consortium. Epidemiology, 30(1), 93-102.
- Lee YA, Li S, Chen Y, Li Q, Chen CJ, Hsu WL, Lou PJ, Zhu C, Pan J, Shen H, Ma H, Cai L, He B, Wang Y, Zhou X, Ji Q, Zhou B, Wu W, Ma J, Boffetta P, Zhang ZF, Dai M, Hashibe M (2018). Tobacco smoking, alcohol drinking, betel quid chewing, and the risk of head and neck cancer in an East Asian population. Head Neck, 41(1), 92-102.
- Soisson S, Ganz PA, Gaffney D, Rowe K, Snyder J, Wan Y, Deshmukh V, Newman M, Fraser A, Smith K, Herget K, Hanson HA, Wu YP, Stanford J, Al-Sarray A, Werner TL, Setiawan VW, Hashibe M (2017). Long-term Cardiovascular Outcomes Among Endometrial Cancer Survivors in a Large, Population-Based Cohort Study. J Natl Cancer Inst, 110(12), 1342-1351.
- Leoncini E, Vukovic V, Cadoni G, Giraldi L, Pastorino R, Arzani D, Petrelli L, Wnsch-Filho V, Toporcov TN, Moyses RA, Matsuo K, Bosetti C, La Vecchia C, Serraino D, Simonato L, Merletti F, Boffetta P, Hashibe M, Lee YA, Boccia S (2018). Tumour stage and gender predict recurrence and second primary malignancies in head and neck cancer: a multicentre study within the INHANCE consortium. Eur J Epidemiol, 33(12), 1205-1218.
- Gaffney DK, Hashibe M, Kepka D, Maurer KA, Werner TL (2018). Too many women are dying from cervix cancer: Problems and solutions. Gynecol Oncol, 151(3), 547-554.
- Blackburn BE, Ganz PA, Rowe K, Snyder J, Wan Y, Deshmukh V, Newman M, Fraser A, Smith K, Herget K, Kim J, Kirchhoff AC, Porucznik C, Hanson H, Abraham D, Monroe M, Hashibe M (2018). Reproductive and gynecological complication risks among thyroid cancer survivors. J Cancer Surviv, 12(5), 702-711.
- Lee DJ, Barocas DA, Zhao Z, Huang LC, Resnick MJ, Koyoma T, Conwill R, McCollum D, Cooperberg MR, Goodman M, Greenfield S, Hamilton AS, Hashibe M, Kaplan SH, Paddock LE, Stroup AM, Wu XC, Penson DF, Hoffman KE (2018). Comparison of Patient-reported Outcomes After External Beam Radiation Therapy and Combined External Beam With Low-dose-rate Brachytherapy Boost in Men With Localized Prostate Cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 102(1), 116-126.
- Tyson MD 2nd, Koyama T, Lee D, Hoffman KE, Resnick MJ, Wu XC, Cooperberg MR, Goodman M, Greenfield S, Hamilton AS, Hashibe M, Paddock LE, Stroup A, Chen V, Conwill R, McCollum D, Penson DF, Barocas DA (2018). Effect of Prostate Cancer Severity on Functional Outcomes After Localized Treatment: Comparative Effectiveness Analysis of Surgery and Radiation Study Results. Eur Urol, 74(1), 26-33.
- Voltzke KJ, Lee YA, Zhang ZF, Zevallos JP, Yu GP, Winn DM, Vaughan TL, Sturgis EM, Smith E, Schwartz SM, Schantz S, Muscat J, Morgenstern H, McClean M, Li G, Lazarus P, Kelsey K, Gillison M, Chen C, Boffetta P, Hashibe M, Olshan AF (2018). Racial differences in the relationship between tobacco, alcohol, and the risk of head and neck cancer: pooled analysis of US studies in the INHANCE Consortium. Cancer Causes Control, 29(7), 619-630.
- Park J, Blackburn BE, Ganz PA, Rowe K, Snyder J, Wan Y, Deshmukh V, Newman M, Fraser A, Smith K, Herget K, Kirchhoff AC, Abraham D, Kim J, Monroe M, Hashibe M (2017). Risk Factors for Cardiovascular Disease Among Thyroid Cancer Survivors: Findings From the Utah Cancer Survivors Study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 103(7), 2468-2477.
- Park J, Blackburn BE, Rowe K, Snyder J, Wan Y, Deshmukh V, Newman M, Fraser A, Smith K, Herget K, Burt L, Werner T, Gaffney DK, Lopez AM, Mooney K, Hashibe M (2018). Rural-metropolitan disparities in ovarian cancer survival: a statewide population-based study. Ann Epidemiol, 28(6), 377-384.
- Avulova S, Zhao Z, Lee D, Huang LC, Koyama T, Hoffman KE, Conwill RM, Wu XC, Chen V, Cooperberg MR, Goodman M, Greenfield S, Hamilton AS, Hashibe M, Paddock LE, Stroup A, Resnick MJ, Penson DF, Barocas DA (2017). The Effect of Nerve Sparing Status on Sexual and Urinary Function: 3-Year Results from the CEASAR Study. J Urol, 199(5), 1202-1209.
- Hashibe M, Kirchhoff AC, Kepka D, Kim J, Millar M, Sweeney C, Herget K, Monroe M, Henry NL, Lopez AM, Mooney K (2018). Disparities in cancer survival and incidence by metropolitan versus rural residence in Utah. Cancer Med, 7(4), 1490-1497.
- Soisson S, Ganz PA, Gaffney D, Rowe K, Snyder J, Wan Y, Deshmukh V, Newman M, Fraser A, Smith K, Herget K, Hanson HA, Wu YP, Stanford J, Werner TL, Setiawan VW, Hashibe M (2017). Long-term, adverse genitourinary outcomes among endometrial cancer survivors in a large, population-based cohort study. Gynecol Oncol, 148(3), 499-506.
- Wu YP, Kohlmann W, Curtin K, Yu Z, Hanson HA, Hashibe M, Parsons BG, Wong J, Schiffman JD, Grossman D, Leachman SA (2017). Melanoma risk assessment based on relatives' age at diagnosis. Cancer Causes Control, 29(2), 193-199.
- Lee DJ, Barocas DA, Zhao Z, Huang LC, Koyama T, Resnick MJ, Conwill R, McCollum D, Cooperberg MR, Goodman M, Greenfield S, Hamilton AS, Hashibe M, Kaplan SH, Paddock LE, Stroup AM, Wu XC, Penson DF, Hoffman KE (2017). Contemporary prostate cancer radiation therapy in the United States: Patterns of care and compliance with quality measures. Pract Radiat Oncol, 8(5), 307-316.
- Blackburn BE, Ganz PA, Rowe K, Snyder J, Wan Y, Deshmukh V, Newman M, Fraser A, Smith K, Herget K, Kim J, Kirchhoff AC, Porucznik C, Hanson H, Monroe M, Hashibe M (2017). Aging-Related Disease Risks among Young Thyroid Cancer Survivors. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 26(12), 1695-1704.
- Hashibe M, Siwakoti B, Wei M, Thakur BK, Pun CB, Shrestha BM, Burningham Z, Lee YC, Sapkota A (2011). Socioeconomic status and lung cancer risk in Nepal. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12(4), 1083-8.
Huntsman Cancer Institute News
- Risk of Age-Related Diseases May Be Higher in Younger B-Cell Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma Survivors than in Their Older Counterparts
- Ovarian Cancer Patients Face Increased Risk of Mental Illness
- Improving Cancer Care and Outcomes in Our Communities
- Risk for Aging-related Diseases Elevated Among Thyroid Cancer Survivors