Gretchen A. Case, PhD
- Communication Methods, Total
- Teaching and Curriculum Development
- Medicine in Literature
- Education, Medical, Undergraduate
- Education, Medical, Graduate
- Education, Premedical
- Students, Premedical
- Students, Medical
- Departments: Internal Medicine - Associate Professor (Lecturer)
- Divisions: General Internal Medicine
Gretchen A. Case is Director of the Center for Health Ethics, Arts, and Humanities and an Associate Professor (lecturer) in the Department of Internal Medicine at the University of Utah School of Medicine. She received a BA in Speech Communication and History and an MA in Communication Studies from UNC-Chapel Hill and a PhD in Performance Studies from UC, Berkeley.
Dr. Case's research and teaching interests are in the medical humanities (aka healthcare humanities): the many ways in which the arts and humanities intersect with the medical arts and sciences. Her scholarly projects often combine communication, performance, disability theory, cultures of medicine, oral history, and ethnography. Dr. Case also has more than ten years of experience as a public historian, specializing in histories of science and medicine.
In addition to teaching at the School of Medicine, Dr. Case has taught in the Department of Theatre at the University and is a facilitator for the Physicians’ Literature and Medicine reading group. She has received funding from the National Endowment for the Arts and contributed significantly to projects funded by the National Institutes of Health and the National Endowment for the Humanities.
- Chow CJ, Case GA, Matias CE (2019). Tools for Discussing Identity and Privilege Among Medical Students, Trainees, and Faculty. MedEdPORTAL, 15, 10864.
- Casanova R, Miller V, Cheon J, Gilmore L, Barron R, Cannaday R, Case G, Digre K, Jensen J, McGregor AJ, Pippitt K, Davidge-Pitts C, Pomeroy B, Webster D, Jenkins M (2019). Field Test Results of Sex- and Gender-Specific Health Multimedia Case-Based Learning Modules. J Womens Health, 28(12), 1755-1761.
- Steinmann ME, Case GA, Ferrell S (2019). Preclinical Medical Student Attitudes Toward Use of Psychiatry Residents as Actors in a Suicide and Violence Risk Assessment Simulation Activity. Acad Psychiatry, 43(4), 451-454.
- Case GA, Pippitt KA, Lewis BR (2018). Shame. Perspect Med Educ, 7(Suppl 1), 12-15.
- Rothwell E, Botkin JR, Cheek-ODonnell S, Wong B, Case GA, Johnson E, Matheson T, Wilson A, Robinson NR, Rawlings J, Horejsi B, Lopez AM, Byington CL (2018). An empirical assessment of the short-term impacts of a reading of Deborah Zoe Laufer's drama Informed Consent on attitudes and intentions to participate in genetic research. AJOB Empir Bioeth, 9(2), 69-76.
- Cross SN, Dickhut E, Kidd M, Antony K, Case GA, Linehan M, Tyler C (2012). Birth: a collection of poems. Journal of Medical Humanities, 33(2), 127-34.
- Case G (2007). The Magic of X-ray Vision. Virtual Mentor, 9(11), 773-5.
- University of Utah Health Announces Launch of New Center for Health Ethics, Arts, and Humanities (CHeEtAH)
- University of Utah Health Honors Professors for Excellence
- Interdisciplinary Research Team Receives Federal Grant to Investigate Value and Impact of the Arts in Medicine