Kensaku Kawamoto, MD, PhD, MHS, FACMI
- Clinical Decision Support Systems
- Knowledge Management
- Personalized Medicine
- Standards and Scalability
- Departments: Biomedical Informatics - Associate Professor
Academic Office Information
421 Wakara Way, Room: 140
Salt Lake City, UT 84108
Dr. Kensaku Kawamoto is Associate Chief Medical Information Officer of University of Utah Health. He is also Associate Professor and Vice Chair of Clinical Informatics in the University of Utah Department of Biomedical Informatics. He is a Fellow of the American College of Medical Informatics and a Fellow of the American Medical Informatics Association. Dr. Kawamoto was recognized as a Top 25 Innovator in health care in 2019 by Modern Healthcare.
Dr. Kawamoto earned his B.A. in biochemical sciences from Harvard University, and he earned his M.D., Ph.D. in biomedical engineering with a focus on biomedical informatics, and M.H.S. in clinical research from Duke University. At the University of Utah, Dr. Kawamoto chairs the Clinical Decision Support committee and is a co-solution architect of the enterprise Value Driven Outcomes (VDO) framework for analyzing and improving care value. Dr. Kawamoto directs the University’s ReImagine EHR initiative, which is a multi-stakeholder enterprise initiative for improving health and health care through interoperable electronic health record (EHR) innovations (https://reimagineehr.utah.edu/). The ReImagine EHR initiative has developed a number of award-winning EHR add-on apps, including a neonatal bilirubin management app that won the 2019 American Medical Informatics Association (AMIA)/Health Level Seven International (HL7) FHIR Applications Showcase and a lung cancer screening shared decision making app that was a finalist in the 2020 AMIA/HL7 Showcase. The initiative has also helped to bring in over $30 million in external grants and contracts.
Beyond the University of Utah, Dr. Kawamoto is a member of the U.S. Health IT Advisory Committee (HITAC), which provides guidance to the U.S. Office of the National Coordinator for Health IT on policies, standards, implementation specifications, and certification criteria related to health information technology. In this capacity, he also co-chaired the federal Interoperability Standards Priorities Task Force, whose charge is to recommend priority uses of health IT and the associated standards and implementation specifications.
Dr. Kawamoto co-chairs the Clinical Decision Support Work Group of HL7, the primary standards development organization in health IT. He is also a past board member of HL7 and served as Initiative Coordinator for the U.S. Health eDecisions and Clinical Quality Framework initiatives for developing and validating interoperability standards for clinical decision support and clinical quality measurement. Dr. Kawamoto founded and directs OpenCDS (http://www.opencds.org), which is a multi-institutional initiative to enable advanced, standards-based, and open-source clinical decision support at scale.
Dr. Kawamoto is a member of the Huntsman Cancer Institute Cancer Control and Population Science Program, and he is engaged in a number of projects aimed at cancer prevention. Dr. Kawamoto is the PI or co-PI on a number of grants sponsored by the federal government and industry, including from the National Cancer Institute, the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, and Hitachi Ltd. Dr. Kawamoto is also the author or co-author of 99 peer-reviewed journal articles and conference proceedings and 10 book chapters.
“I believe one of the greatest challenges facing our nation is how to provide high-quality health care at a cost affordable by society. It is truly gratifying to work with talented colleagues from across the University and beyond to address this grand challenge of our times, with clinical informatics serving as a core enabler for the types of fundamental changes required to realize the vision of high-quality, high-value health care.”
|Graduate Training||Duke University Allied Health Graduate Program
|Professional Medical||Duke University School of Medicine
|Doctoral Training||Duke University Graduate School
- Metcalf RA, Goodfellow J, Cail K, Blaylock R, Kawamoto K, Enniss T, Galaviz C, Lim M, Reddy S, Sharma V, Wanner N (2021). Electronic clinical decision support: Evidence that default settings influence end-user behavior. (Epub ahead of print) Transfusion.
- Reese TJ, Schlechter CR, Potter LN, Kawamoto K, Del Fiol G, Lam CY, Wetter DW (2021). Evaluation of Revised US Preventive Services Task Force Lung Cancer Screening Guideline Among Women and Racial/Ethnic Minority Populations. JAMA Netw Open, 4(1), e2033769.
- Morid MA, Sheng ORL, Kawamoto K, Abdelrahman S (2020). Learning hidden patterns from patient multivariate time series data using convolutional neural networks: A case study of healthcare cost prediction. J Biomed Inform, 111, 103565.
- Ciarkowski CE, Timbrook TT, Kukhareva PV, Edholm KM, Hatton ND, Hopkins CL, Thomas F, Sanford MN, Igumnova E, Benefield RJ, Kawamoto K, Spivak ES (2020). A Pathway for Community-Acquired Pneumonia With Rapid Conversion to Oral Therapy Improves Health Care Value. Open Forum Infect Dis, 7(11), ofaa497.
- Stagg BC, Gupta D, Ehrlich JR, Newman-Casey PA, Stein JD, Kawamoto K, Hess R (2021). Evaluation for Disparities in Experience With Internet-Based Health Care Among US Patients With Chronic Eye Diseases. JAMA Ophthalmol, 138(10), 1097-1099.
- Stagg BC, Stein JD, Medeiros FA, Wirostko B, Crandall A, Hartnett ME, Cummins M, Morris A, Hess R, Kawamoto K (2020). Special Commentary: Using Clinical Decision Support Systems to Bring Predictive Models to the Glaucoma Clinic. (Epub ahead of print) Ophthalmol Glaucoma.
- Stagg BC, Gupta D, Ehrlich JR, Newman-Casey PA, Stein JD, Kawamoto K, Hess R (2020). The Use of eHealth Practices by United States Patients with Self-Reported Glaucoma. (Epub ahead of print) Ophthalmol Glaucoma.
- Reese TJ, Segall N, Del Fiol G, Tonna JE, Kawamoto K, Weir C, Wright MC (2020). Iterative heuristic design of temporal graphic displays with clinical domain experts. (Epub ahead of print) J Clin Monit Comput.
- Reese TJ, Del Fiol G, Tonna JE, Kawamoto K, Segall N, Weir C, Macpherson BC, Kukhareva P, Wright MC (2020). Impact of integrated graphical display on expert and novice diagnostic performance in critical care. J Am Med Inform Assoc, 27(8), 1287-1292.
- Curran RL, Kukhareva PV, Taft T, Weir CR, Reese TJ, Nanjo C, Rodriguez-Loya S, Martin DK, Warner PB, Shields DE, Flynn MC, Boltax JP, Kawamoto K (2020). Integrated displays to improve chronic disease management in ambulatory care: A SMART on FHIR application informed by mixed-methods user testing. J Am Med Inform Assoc, 27(8), 1225-1234.
- Karhade AV, Schwab JH, Del Fiol G, Kawamoto K (2020). SMART on FHIR in spine: integrating clinical prediction models into electronic health records for precision medicine at the point of care. (Epub ahead of print) Spine J.
- Kawamoto K, McDonald CJ (2020). Designing, Conducting, and Reporting Clinical Decision Support Studies: Recommendations and Call to Action. Ann Intern Med, 172(11 Suppl), S101-S109.
- Hanauer DA, Barnholtz-Sloan JS, Beno MF, Del Fiol G, Durbin EB, Gologorskaya O, Harris D, Harnett B, Kawamoto K, May B, Meeks E, Pfaff E, Weiss J, Zheng K (2021). Electronic Medical Record Search Engine (EMERSE): An Information Retrieval Tool for Supporting Cancer Research. JCO Clin Cancer Inform, 4, 454-463.
- Horton DJ, Graves KK, Kukhareva PV, Johnson SA, Cedillo M, Sanford M, Dunson WA Jr, White M, Roach D, Arego JJ, Kawamoto K (2020). Modified early warning score-based clinical decision support: cost impact and clinical outcomes in sepsis. JAMIA Open, 3(2), 261-268.
- Richesson RL, Staes CJ, Douthit BJ, Thoureen T, Hatch DJ, Kawamoto K, Del Fiol G (2019). Measuring implementation feasibility of clinical decision support alerts for clinical practice recommendations. J Am Med Inform Assoc, 27(4), 514-521.
- Kukhareva P, Warner P, Rodriguez S, Kramer H, Weir C, Nanjo C, Shields D, Kawamoto K (2020). Balancing Functionality versus Portability for SMART on FHIR Applications: Case Study for a Neonatal Bilirubin Management Application. AMIA Annu Symp Proc, 2019, 562-571.
- Fernandez ME, Schlechter CR, Del Fiol G, Gibson B, Kawamoto K, Siaperas T, Pruhs A, Greene T, Nahum-Shani I, Schulthies S, Nelson M, Bohner C, Kramer H, Borbolla D, Austin S, Weir C, Walker TW, Lam CY, Wetter DW (2020). QuitSMART Utah: an implementation study protocol for a cluster-randomized, multi-level Sequential Multiple Assignment Randomized Trial to increase Reach and Impact of tobacco cessation treatment in Community Health Centers. Implement Sci, 15(1), 9.
- Edholm K, Lapp K, Kukhareva P, Hopkins C, Hatton ND, Gebhart B, Nyman H, Signor E, Davis M, Kawamoto K, Johnson SA (2020). Reducing Diabetic Ketoacidosis Intensive Care Unit Admissions Through an Electronic Health Record-Driven, Standardized Care Pathway. (Epub ahead of print) J Healthc Qual.
- Del Fiol G, Kohlmann W, Bradshaw RL, Weir CR, Flynn M, Hess R, Schiffman JD, Nanjo C, Kawamoto K (2020). Standards-Based Clinical Decision Support Platform to Manage Patients Who Meet Guideline-Based Criteria for Genetic Evaluation of Familial Cancer. JCO Clin Cancer Inform, 4, 1-9.
- Bahr TM, Shakib JH, Stipelman CH, Kawamoto K, Cail K, Lauer S, Christensen RD (2020). Improving the Bilirubin Management Program in the Newborn Nursery: Background, Aims, and Protocol. Neonatology, 117(3), 358-364.
- Kawamoto K, Kukhareva P, Shakib JH, Kramer H, Rodriguez S, Warner PB, Shields D, Weir C, Del Fiol G, Taft T, Stipelman CH (2019). Association of an Electronic Health Record Add-on App for Neonatal Bilirubin Management With Physician Efficiency and Care Quality. JAMA Netw Open, 2(11), e1915343.
- Norton JM, Ali K, Jurkovitz CT, Kiryluk K, Park M, Kawamoto K, Shang N, Navaneethan SD, Narva AS, Drawz P (2019). Development and Validation of a Pragmatic Electronic Phenotype for CKD. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol, 14(9), 1306-1314.
- Stipelman CH, Smith ER, Diaz-Ochu M, Spackman J, Stoddard G, Kawamoto K, Shakib JH (2019). Early-Onset Sepsis Risk Calculator Integration Into an Electronic Health Record in the Nursery. Pediatrics, 144(2).
- Mowery DL, Kawamoto K, Bradshaw R, Kohlmann W, Schiffman JD, Weir C, Borbolla D, Chapman WW, Del Fiol G (2019). Determining Onset for Familial Breast and Colorectal Cancer from Family History Comments in the Electronic Health Record. AMIA Jt Summits Transl Sci Proc, 2019, 173-181.
- Marcial LH, Richardson JE, Lasater B, Middleton B, Osheroff JA, Kawamoto K, Ancker JS, van Leeuwen D, Lomotan EA, Al-Showk S, Blumenfeld BH (2018). The Imperative for Patient-Centered Clinical Decision Support. EGEMS (Wash DC), 6(1), 12.
- Kawamoto K, Anstrom KJ, Anderson JB, Bosworth HB, Lobach DF, McAdam-Marx C, Ferranti JM, Shang H, Yarnall KS (2017). Long-Term Impact of an Electronic Health Record-Enabled, Team-Based, and Scalable Population Health Strategy Based on the Chronic Care Model. AMIA Annu Symp Proc, 2016, 686-695.
- Lin Y, Staes CJ, Shields DE, Kandula V, Welch BM, Kawamoto K (2015). Design, Development, and Initial Evaluation of a Terminology for Clinical Decision Support and Electronic Clinical Quality Measurement. AMIA Annu Symp Proc, 2015, 843-51.
- Welch BM, Eilbeck K, Del Fiol G, Meyer LJ, Kawamoto K (2014). Technical desiderata for the integration of genomic data with clinical decision support. J Biomed Inform, 51, 3-7.
- Welch BM, Loya SR, Eilbeck K, Kawamoto K (2014). A proposed clinical decision support architecture capable of supporting whole genome sequence information. Journal of Personalized Medicine, 4(2), 176-99.
- Welch BM, Kawamoto K (2012). Clinical decision support for genetically guided personalized medicine: a systematic review. J Am Med Inform Assoc, 20(2), 388-400.
- Zhang D, Sanchez-Fueyo A, Kawamoto K, Alexopoulos SP, Zhang W, Zheng XX (2010). Th1 to Th2 immune deviation facilitates, but does not cause, islet allograft tolerance in mice. Cytokine, 51(3), 311-9.
- Jenders RA, Del Fiol G, Kawamoto K, Sailors RM (2008). Standards in clinical decision support: activities in health level seven. AMIA Annu Symp Proc, 1244-5.
- Drew RH, Kawamoto K, Adams MB (2006). Information technology for optimizing the management of infectious diseases. Am J Health Syst Pharm, 63(10), 957-65.
- Ferranti JM, Musser RC, Kawamoto K, Hammond WE (2006). The clinical document architecture and the continuity of care record: a critical analysis. J Am Med Inform Assoc, 13(3), 245-52.
- Eisenstein EL, Anstrom KJ, Macri JM, Crosslin DR, Johnson FS, Kawamoto K, Lobach DF (2006). Assessing the potential economic value of health information technology interventions in a community-based health network. AMIA Annu Symp Proc, 221-5.
- Marcial LH, Blumenfeld B, Harle C, Jing X, Keller MS, Lee V, Lin Z, Dover A, Midboe AM, Al-Showk S, Bradley V, Breen J, Fadden M, Lomotan E, Marco-Ruiz L, Mohamed R, OConnor P, Rosendale D, Solomon H, Kawamoto K (2020). Barriers, Facilitators, and Potential Solutions to Advancing Interoperable Clinical Decision Support: Multi-Stakeholder Consensus Recommendations for the Opioid Use Case. AMIA Annu Symp Proc, United States, 2019, 637-646.
- U of U Health Biomedical Informaticist Appointed to Second Term on National Health Information Technology Advisory Committee
- Inaugural class of Top 25 Innovators includes Kensaku Kawamoto
- Reimagining EHR with Kensaku Kawamoto
- New Clinical Study Tests Pharmacotherapy Selection System that Aims to Improve the Impact of Diabetes Treatment
- Ken Kawamoto Elected to Serve on the HL7 Board
- Biomedical Informaticist Kawamoto to Co-chair National Task Force on Health Information Technology
- Pharmacotherapy Selection System Supports Shared Clinician-Patient Decision-Making in Diabetes Treatment
- DBMI receives $3.8 million for development of cancer screening
- Ken Kawamoto, PhD Named to National Committee to Improve Health Information Technology
- Kawamoto Named to National Committee to Improve Health Information Technology
- University of Utah Department of Biomedical Informatics Collaboration Selected in Phase 1 of ONC’s User Experience Challenge
- Tool Decreases Lab Over-Testing, Cuts Health Care Costs
- BMI 2015 AMIA Recap
- Biomedical Informatics Success at AMIA 2013 Annual Symposium, Washington, DC
- BMI Department 2013 Holiday Social
- Value Driven Outcomes Costing Tool Wins University of Utah 2013 Most Wired Innovator Award
- New Informatics Textbook "Health Informatics: An Interprofessional Approach"
- Kensaku Kawamoto, MD, PhD is appointed Initiative Coordinator of Health eDecisions
- Dr. Ken Kawamoto wins 2012 Homer R. Warner Award