Candace M. Reno, PhD
- Departments: Internal Medicine - Research Assistant Professor
- Divisions: Endocrinology and Metabolism
I conduct basic science research studies to understand how low blood sugar due to the treatment of diabetes can lead to cardiac arrhythmias with the goal to find treatments to prevent these devasting complications. This research is important to better the lives of those affected by diabetes that are at risk for hypoglycemia.
|Postdoctoral Training||University of Utah
|Postdoctoral Research Associate|
|Postdoctoral Fellowship||Yale University
|Graduate Training||Washington University in St. Louis
Molecular Cell Biology
|Graduate Training||California State University, San Bernardino
|Undergraduate||California State University, San Bernardino
- Reno CM, Bayles J, Huang Y, Oxspring M, Hirahara AM, Dosdall DJ, Fisher SJ (2019). Severe Hypoglycemia-Induced Fatal Cardiac Arrhythmias Are Mediated by the Parasympathetic Nervous System in Rats. Diabetes, 68(11), 2107-2119.
- Reno CM, Skinner A, Bayles J, Chen YS, Daphna-Iken D, Fisher SJ (2018). Severe hypoglycemia-induced sudden death is mediated by both cardiac arrhythmias and seizures. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab, 315(2), E240-E249.
- Reno CM, Bayles J, Skinner A, Fisher SJ (2018). Glibenclamide Prevents Hypoglycemia-Induced Fatal Cardiac Arrhythmias in Rats. Endocrinology, 159(7), 2614-2620.
- Reno CM, VanderWeele J, Bayles J, Litvin M, Skinner A, Jordan A, Daphna-Iken D, Fisher SJ (2017). Severe Hypoglycemia-Induced Fatal Cardiac Arrhythmias Are Augmented by Diabetes and Attenuated by Recurrent Hypoglycemia. Diabetes, 66(12), 3091-3097.
- Reno CM, Puente EC, Sheng Z, Daphna-Iken D, Bree AJ, Routh VH, Kahn BB, Fisher SJ (2016). Brain GLUT4 Knockout Mice Have Impaired Glucose Tolerance, Decreased Insulin Sensitivity, and Impaired Hypoglycemic Counterregulation. Diabetes, 66(3), 587-597.
- Reno CM, Ding Y, Sherwin R (2015). Leptin acts in the brain to influence hypoglycemic counterregulation: disparate effects of acute and recurrent hypoglycemia on glucagon release. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab, 309(12), E960-7.
- Reno CM, Daphna-Iken D, Chen YS, VanderWeele J, Jethi K, Fisher SJ (2013). Severe hypoglycemia-induced lethal cardiac arrhythmias are mediated by sympathoadrenal activation. Diabetes, 62(10), 3570-81.
- Reno CM, Tanoli T, Bree A, Daphna-Iken D, Cui C, Maloney SE, Wozniak DF, Fisher SJ (2013). Antecedent glycemic control reduces severe hypoglycemia-induced neuronal damage in diabetic rats. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab, 304(12), E1331-7.
- Reno CM, Litvin M, Clark AL, Fisher SJ (2012). Defective counterregulation and hypoglycemia unawareness in diabetes: mechanisms and emerging treatments. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am, 42(1), 15-38.
- Zhou Y, Lee J, Reno CM, Sun C, Park SW, Chung J, Lee J, Fisher SJ, White MF, Biddinger SB, Ozcan U (2011). Regulation of glucose homeostasis through a XBP-1-FoxO1 interaction. Nat Med, 17(3), 356-65.