Geoff Nelson, PhD, DABR
- Departments: Radiation Oncology - Assistant Professor (Clinical)
- American Board of Radiology (Therapeutic Medical Physics)
Academic Office Information
Huntsman Cancer Hospital
1950 Circle of Hope, Room: 1401
Salt Lake City, UT 84112
Geoff Nelson, MS, PhD, is an Assitant Professor in the Department of Radiation Oncology at the University of Utah. He specializes in imaging in radiation oncology and in brachytherapy. He received his BS in Biomedical Physics from California State University Fresno and his Masters and Doctorate in Bioengineering from Stanford University. He completed his clinical residency in Medical Physics in 2015 at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. He worked as the Lead Physicist at Overlake Hospital in Bellevue, Washington before joining the medical physics team at the Huntsman Cancer Institute in May of 2017.
|Residency||University of Wisconsin–Madison
|Doctoral Training||Stanford University
|Graduate Training||Stanford University
|Undergraduate||California State University, Fresno
- Vikren Sarkar, Martin Szegedi, Adam Paxton, Geoff Nelson, Prema RassiahSzegedi, Chakravarthy B Reddy, Randa Tao, Ying J Hitchcock, Kristine E Kokeny, Bill J Salter (2020). Preliminary clinical experience with Calypso anchored beacons for tumor tracking in lung SBRT. Med Phys.
- Vikren Sarkar, Adam Paxton, Jeremy Kunz, Martin Szegedi, Geoff Nelson, Prema RassiahSzegedi, Hui Zhao, Y Jessica Huang, Frances Su, Bill J Salter (2019). A systematic evaluation of the error detection abilities of a new diode transmission detector. J Appl Clin Med Phys, 20(9), 122-132.
- Geoff Nelson, Vadim Pigrish, Vikren Sarkar, FanChi Su, Bill Salter (2019). The use of DirectDensity TM and dual‐energy CT in the radiation oncology clinic. J Appl Clin Med Phys, 20(3), 125-131.
- Vikren Sarkar, Adam Paxton, Martin W Szegedi, Hui Zhao, Long Huang, Geoff Nelson, Yu-Huei Jessica Huang, Fanchi Su, Prema Rassiah-Szegedi, Bill J Salter (2018). An evaluation of the consistency of shifts reported by three different systems for non-coplanar treatments. J Radiosurg SBRT, 5(4), 323-330.
- Lee A S, Tang C, Hong W X, Park S, Bazalova M, Nelson G, Sanchez-Freire V, Bakerman I, Zhang W, Neofytou E, Connolly A J, Chan C K, Graves E E, Weissman I L, Nguyen P K and Wu J C (06/12/2017). External Beam Radiation Therapy for the Treatment of Human Pluripotent Stem Cell-Derived Teratomas. Stem Cells.
- Nelson G, Wu M, Hinkel C, Krishna G, Funk T, Rosenberg J, Fahrig R (2016). Improved targeting accuracy of lung tumor biopsies with scanning-beam digital x-ray tomosynthesis image guidance. Med Phys, 43(12), 6282.
- Nelson GS, Perez J, Colomer MV, Ali R, Graves E (2014). Facilitating Multimodal Preclinical Imaging Studies in Mice by Using an Immobilization Bed. Comparative Medicine, 64(3), 170.
- Bazalova M, Nelson G, Noll JM, Graves EE (2014). Modality comparison for small animal radiotherapy: a simulation study. Med Phys, 41(1), 011710.
- Nelson G, Yoon S, Krishna G, Wilfley B, Fahrig R (2013). Patient dose simulations for scanning-beam digital x-ray tomosynthesis of the lungs. Med Phys, 40(11), 111917.
- Nelson GS, Perez J, Vilalta M, Ali R, Graves E (2011). Facilitating multimodal preclinical imaging studies in mice by using an immobilization bed. Comp Med, 61(6), 499-504.
- Zhou H, Rodriguez M, van den Haak F, Nelson G, Jogani R, Xu J, Zhu X, Xian Y, Tran PT, Felsher DW, Keall PJ, Graves EE (2010). Development of a micro-computed tomography-based image-guided conformal radiotherapy system for small animals. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 78(1), 297-305.