Keke C. Fairfax, PhD
- Departments: Pathology - Assistant Professor
- Divisions: Microbiology and Immunology
Academic Office Information
Emma Eccles Jones Medical Research Building
15 N Medical Dr E
Salt Lake City, UT
IL-4 and immuno-modulation are hallmarks of parasitic infections, my laboratory broadly focuses on using the helminth parasite Schistosoma mansoni as a tool to understand both, the consequences of IL-4 induced immuno-modulation, and the complex interplay between B, T and stromal cells necessary to develop an optimal T and B cell memory response Under this umbrella we currently have three main projects: 1) Understanding the immunological implications of maternal schistosomiasis; 2) Dissecting the role of IL-4 in shaping the cellular environment of peripheral lymph nodes during homeostasis and antigenic challenge; 3) Delineating the mechanistic role of hepatic macrophages in helminth-induced protection from metabolic diseases.
|Postdoctoral Fellowship||Trudeau Institute/Washington University in St. Louis
|Fellowship||Trudeau Institute/Washington University in St. Louis
||Postdoctoral Research Associate|
|Doctoral Training||Yale University
|Undergraduate||University of Chicago
- Cortes-Selva D, Ready A, Gibbs L, Rajwa B, Fairfax KC (2018). IL-4 Promotes stromal cell expansion and Is critical for development Of A Type-2, but not a type 1 immune response.LID - 10.1002/eji.201847789 [doi]. (Epub ahead of print) Eur J Immunol.
- Cortes-Selva D, Elvington AF, Ready A, Rajwa B, Pearce EJ, Randolph GJ, Fairfax KC (2018). Schistosoma mansoni Infection-Induced Transcriptional Changes in Hepatic Macrophage Metabolism Correlate With an Athero-Protective Phenotype. Front Immunol, 9, 2580.
- Wang F, Johnson RL, DeSmet ML, Snyder PW, Fairfax KC, Fleet JC (2017). Vitamin D Receptor-Dependent Signaling Protects Mice From Dextran Sulfate Sodium-Induced Colitis. Endocrinology, 158(6), 1951-1963.
- Dwyer DF, Barrett NA, Austen KF (2016). Expression profiling of constitutive mast cells reveals a unique identity within the immune system. Nat Immunol, 17(7), 878-87.
- Everts B, Tussiwand R, Dreesen L, Fairfax KC, Huang SC, Smith AM, ONeill CM, Lam WY, Edelson BT, Urban JF Jr, Murphy KM, Pearce EJ (2016). Migratory CD103+ dendritic cells suppress helminth-driven type 2 immunity through constitutive expression of IL-12. J Exp Med, 213(1), 35-51.
- Robinette ML, Fuchs A, Cortez VS, Lee JS, Wang Y, Durum SK, Gilfillan S, Colonna M (2015). Transcriptional programs define molecular characteristics of innate lymphoid cell classes and subsets. Nat Immunol, 16(3), 306-17.
- Fairfax KC, Everts B, Amiel E, Smith AM, Schramm G, Haas H, Randolph GJ, Taylor JJ, Pearce EJ (2015). IL-4-secreting secondary T follicular helper (Tfh) cells arise from memory T cells, not persisting Tfh cells, through a B cell-dependent mechanism. J Immunol, 194(7), 2999-3010.
- Fairfax KC, Harrison LM, Cappello M (2014). Molecular cloning and characterization of a nematode polyprotein antigen/allergen from the human and animal hookworm Ancylostoma ceylanicum. Mol Biochem Parasitol, 198(1), 37-44.
- Gautier EL, Ivanov S, Williams JW, Huang SC, Marcelin G, Fairfax K, Wang PL, Francis JS, Leone P, Wilson DB, Artyomov MN, Pearce EJ, Randolph GJ (2014). Gata6 regulates aspartoacylase expression in resident peritoneal macrophages and controls their survival. J Exp Med, 211(8), 1525-31.
- Fairfax KC, Everts B, Smith AM, Pearce EJ (2013). Regulation of the development of the hepatic B cell compartment during Schistosoma mansoni infection. J Immunol, 191(8), 4202-10.
- Fairfax KC, Amiel E, King IL, Freitas TC, Mohrs M, Pearce EJ (2012). IL-10R blockade during chronic schistosomiasis mansoni results in the loss of B cells from the liver and the development of severe pulmonary disease. PLoS Pathog, 8(1), e1002490.
- Fairfax KC, Vermeire JJ, Harrison LM, Bungiro RD, Grant W, Husain SZ, Cappello M (2009). Characterisation of a fatty acid and retinol binding protein orthologue from the hookworm Ancylostoma ceylanicum. Int J Parasitol, 39(14), 1561-71.
- Vinatzer BA, Teitzel GM, Lee MW, Jelenska J, Hotton S, Fairfax K, Jenrette J, Greenberg JT (2006). The type III effector repertoire of Pseudomonas syringae pv. syringae B728a and its role in survival and disease on host and non-host plants. Mol Microbiol, 62(1), 26-44.