Amy M. Cizik, PhD, MPH
- Orthopaedic Trauma
- Orthopaedic Spine Surgery
- Patient Reported Outcomes
- Developing and Evaluating Methods to Improve Patient and Provider Decision Making
- Departments: Orthopaedics - Research Assistant Professor
Dr. Cizik is a health economics and outcomes researcher (HEOR) with a primary research focus using Patient-Reported Outcome Measures (PROMs) at the point of care to support clinicians and patients in preference-based (patient-centered) shared decision-making for clinical decisions. Her research hopes to improve the value of healthcare by improving the clinician/patient decision-making experience. Her clinical area has mostly focused in orthopaedic surgery, specifically spine and trauma subspecialties, but also includes all musculoskeletal care, involving complex decision-making of operative versus non-operative care versus the decision to wait and reevaluate treatment options at a future timepoint. She has collaborated with colleagues in multiple other surgical disciplines as well. Dr. Cizik has a diverse training background that includes economic modelling, health services, biostatistics, epidemiology, and public health and health policy. She has extensive experience and expertise implementing PROMS, including PROMIS measures in both academic and community care settings, recruiting patients for prospective clinical studies, and successfully collecting PROMs at follow-up timepoints.
|Doctoral Training||University of Washington
Health Economics and Outcomes Research
|Graduate Training||University of Kansas
Epidemiology and Biostatistics
|Diploma||University of Missouri - Kansas City
|Diploma||University of Missouri - Kansas City
- Khor S, Lavallee DC, Cizik AM, Bellabarba C, Dagal A, Hart RA, Howe CR, Martz RD, Shonnard N, Flum DR (2019). Hospital and Surgeon Variation in Patient-reported Functional Outcomes After Lumbar Spine Fusion: A Statewide Evaluation. Spine, 45(7), 465-472.
- Gurich RW Jr, Cizik AM, Punt SE, Namekata M, Johnson CN, Symons RG, Brewer EG, Thompson MJ (2021). Decision-making in Orthopaedic Oncology: Does Cognitive Bias Affect a Virtual Patient's Choice Between Limb Salvage and Amputation? Clin Orthop Relat Res, 478(3), 506-514.
- Cheng CW, Cizik AM, Dagal AHC, Lewis L, Lynch J, Bellabarba C, Bransford RJ, Zhou H (2018). Body mass index and the risk of deep surgical site infection following posterior cervical instrumented fusion. Spine J, 19(4), 602-609.
- Khor S, Lavallee D, Cizik AM, Bellabarba C, Chapman JR, Howe CR, Lu D, Mohit AA, Oskouian RJ, Roh JR, Shonnard N, Dagal A, Flum DR (2018). Development and Validation of a Prediction Model for Pain and Functional Outcomes After Lumbar Spine Surgery. JAMA Surg, 153(7), 634-642.
- Somerson JS, Petersen JP, Neradilek MB, Cizik AM, Gee AO (2018). Complications and Outcomes After Medial Ulnar Collateral Ligament Reconstruction: A Meta-Regression and Systematic Review. JBJS Rev, 6(5), e4.
- Ehlers AP, Khor S, Cizik AM, Leveque JA, Shonnard NS, Oskouian RJ Jr, Flum DR, Lavallee DC (2017). Use of patient-reported outcomes and satisfaction for quality assessments. Am J Manag Care, 23(10), 618-622.
- Ehlers AP, Khor S, Shonnard N, Oskouian RJ Jr, Sethi RK, Cizik AM, Lee MJ, Bederman S, Anderson PA, Dellinger EP, Flum DR (2016). Intra-Wound Antibiotics and Infection in Spine Fusion Surgery: A Report from Washington State's SCOAP-CERTAIN Collaborative. Surg Infect (Larchmt), 17(2), 179-86.
- Gundle KR, Cizik AM, Jones RL, Davidson DJ (2014). Quality of life measures in soft tissue sarcoma. Expert Rev Anticancer Ther, 15(1), 95-100.
- Manoso MW, Cizik AM, Bransford RJ, Bellabarba C, Chapman J, Lee MJ (2014). Medicaid status is associated with higher surgical site infection rates after spine surgery. Spine, 39(20), 1707-13.
- Lee MJ, Cizik AM, Hamilton D, Chapman JR (2014). Predicting surgical site infection after spine surgery: a validated model using a prospective surgical registry. Spine J, 14(9), 2112-7.
- Lee MJ, Cizik AM, Hamilton D, Chapman JR (2013). Predicting medical complications after spine surgery: a validated model using a prospective surgical registry. Spine J, 14(2), 291-9.
- Gundle KR, Cizik AM, Punt SE, Conrad EU 3rd, Davidson DJ (2014). Validation of the SF-6D Health State Utilities Measure in Lower Extremity Sarcoma. Sarcoma, 2014, 450902.
- Hacquebord J, Cizik AM, Malempati SH, Konodi MA, Bransford RJ, Bellabarba C, Chapman J, Lee MJ (2013). Medicaid status is associated with higher complication rates after spine surgery. Spine, 38(16), 1393-400.
- Lee MJ, Konodi MA, Cizik AM, Weinreich MA, Bransford RJ, Bellabarba C, Chapman J (2012). Risk factors for medical complication after cervical spine surgery: a multivariate analysis of 582 patients. Spine, 38(3), 223-8.
- Engelman KK, Cizik AM, Ellerbeck EF, Rempusheski VF (2012). Perceptions of the screening mammography experience by Hispanic and non-Hispanic White women. Womens Health Issues, 22(4), e395-401.
- Lee MJ, Konodi MA, Cizik AM, Bransford RJ, Bellabarba C, Chapman JR (2012). Risk factors for medical complication after spine surgery: a multivariate analysis of 1,591 patients. Spine J, 12(3), 197-206.
- Cizik AM, Lee MJ, Martin BI, Bransford RJ, Bellabarba C, Chapman JR, Mirza SK (2012). Using the spine surgical invasiveness index to identify risk of surgical site infection: a multivariate analysis. J Bone Joint Surg Am, 94(4), 335-42.
- Wahl CJ, Westermann RW, Blaisdell GY, Cizik AM (2012). An association of lateral knee sagittal anatomic factors with non-contact ACL injury: sex or geometry? J Bone Joint Surg Am, 94(3), 217-26.
- Baker GA, Cizik AM, Bransford RJ, Bellabarba C, Konodi MA, Chapman JR, Lee MJ (2012). Risk factors for unintended durotomy during spine surgery: a multivariate analysis. Spine J, 12(2), 121-6.
- Lee MJ, Hacquebord J, Varshney A, Cizik AM, Bransford RJ, Bellabarba C, Konodi MA, Chapman J (2011). Risk factors for medical complication after lumbar spine surgery: a multivariate analysis of 767 patients. Spine, 36(21), 1801-6.
- Zimel MN, Cizik AM, Rapp TB, Weisstein JS, Conrad EU 3rd (2009). Megaprosthesis versus Condyle-sparing intercalary allograft: distal femoral sarcoma. Clin Orthop Relat Res, 467(11), 2813-24.
- Morgan HD, Cizik AM, Leopold SS, Hawkins DS, Conrad EU 3rd (2006). Survival of tumor megaprostheses replacements about the knee. Clin Orthop Relat Res, 450, 39-45.
- Engelman KK, Cizik AM, Ellerbeck EF (2006). Women's satisfaction with their mammography experience: results of a qualitative study. Women Health, 42(4), 17-35.