Richard G. Barton, MD
Languages spoken: English, Spanish
Departments: Surgery - Professor Emeritus
Divisions: General Surgery
Academic Office Information
- National Board of Medical Examiners
Richard G. Barton, MD is a Professor of Surgery and the Director of Surgical Critical Care. Dr. Barton has been the medical director of the Surgical Intensive Care Unit at the University Hospital since 1990 and was instrumental in the expansion from a 12-bed unit to a 20-bed unit with an additional 12-bed intermediate care unit. During his tenure Dr. Barton has participated in the education of hundreds of residents and medical students, established a Surgical Critical Care Fellowship program and leads a Surgical Critical Care Faculty of 9 members that provides 24-hour per day in-house coverage of the Surgical Intensive Care Unit. The Surgical Intensive Care Unit admits 1,500 patients per year representing all surgical specialties and serves not only as an institutional resource but as a regional referral center for critically ill surgical patients.
D. Barton has particular interest and expertise in the management of patients with sepsis, shock, multiple organ dysfunction and severe acute respiratory failure requiring complex ventilator management. Dr. Barton is recognized as an expert in nutrition support of critically ill and injured patients and has lectured yearly at the Society of Critical Care Medicine's Annual Critical Care Board Review Course. He has authored several book chapters on nutrition support in highly respected volumes such as Trauma and Critical Care Medicine, Principles of Diagnosis and Management in the Adult.
Dr. Barton has also been a major contributor to trauma and emergency care in the State of Utah. He was instrumental in the development of a state-wide trauma system, initially serving on the State Trauma Task Force responsible for developing a state trauma system plan and ultimately, along with members of the Bureau of Emergency Medical Services, leading the lobbying effort that was ultimately successful in establishing, and securing funding for, a state-wide trauma system. He then served the maximum two terms as the initial chairman of the State Trauma Advisory Board. As such, he was also involved in initial efforts toward state-wide disaster planning.
University of Minnesota
University of Minnesota
University of Utah School of Medicine
University of Utah
University of Utah
University of Utah
University of Utah
- Tonna JE, Johnson J, Presson A, Zhang C, Noren C, Lohse B, Bento H, Barton RG, Nirula R, Mone M, Marcus R (2019). Short-Term Clinical and Quality Outcomes Have Inconsistent Changes From a Quality Improvement Initiative to Increase Access to Physical Therapy in the Cardiovascular and Surgical ICU. Crit Care Explor, 1(10), e0055.
- Martin LA, Kilpatrick JA, Al-Dulaimi R, Mone MC, Tonna JE, Barton RG, Brooke BS (2018). Predicting ICU readmission among surgical ICU patients: Development and validation of a clinical nomogram. Surgery, 165(2), 373-380.
- Hickman AW, Lonardo NW, Mone MC, Presson AP, Zhang C, Barton RG, Selzman CH, Drakos SG, Koliopoulou A, McKellar SH (2018). Acid Suppression to Prevent Gastrointestinal Bleeding in Patients With Ventricular Assist Devices. J Surg Res, 234, 96-102.
- Louie JM, Lonardo NW, Mone MC, Stevens VW, Deka R, Shipley W, Barton RG (2018). Outcomes When Using Adjunct Dexmedetomidine with Propofol Sedation in Mechanically Ventilated Surgical Intensive Care Patients. Pharmacy (Basel), 6(3).
- Tonna JE, Kawamoto K, Presson AP, Zhang C, Mone MC, Glasgow RE, Barton RG, Hoidal JR, Anzai Y (2017). Single intervention for a reduction in portable chest radiography (pCXR) in cardiovascular and surgical/trauma ICUs and associated outcomes. J Crit Care, 44, 18-23.
- Barton RG, Hickman AW, Lonardo NW, Mone MC, Presson AW, Zhang C, McKellar SH, Selzman CH (2018). Acid Suppression to Preven Gastrointestinal Bleeding in Patients with Ventricular Assist Devices [Abstract]. Annual Academic Surgical Congress, January 30-February 1, 2018, Jacksonville, FL.
- Tonna JE, Selzman CH, Mallin MP, Smith BR, Youngquist ST, Koliopoulou A, Welt F, Stoddard KD, Nirula R, Barton R, Fair JF 3rd, Fang JC, McKellar S (2017). Development and Implementation of a Comprehensive, Multidisciplinary Emergency Department Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation Program. Ann Emerg Med, 70(1), 32-40.
- Stoppe C, Goetzenich A, Whitman G, Ohkuma R, Brown T, Hatzakorzian R, Kristof A, Meybohm P, Mechanick J, Evans A, Yeh D, McDonald B, Chourdakis M, Jones P, Barton R, Tripathi R, Elke G, Liakopoulos O, Agarwala R, Lomivorotov V, Nesterova E, Marx G, Benstoem C, Lemieux M, Heyland DK (2017). Role of nutrition support in adult cardiac surgery: a consensus statement from an International Multidisciplinary Expert Group on Nutrition in Cardiac Surgery. Crit Care, 21(1), 131.
- Madsen S, Baczuk J, Thorup K, Barton R, Patwari N, Langell JT (2016). A noncontact RF-based respiratory sensor: results of a clinical trial. J Surg Res, 203(1), 1-5.
- Barton, Richard G, Lonardo, Lynn F, Lonardo, Nick W, Mone, Mary C, Simons, Heidi J (2016). Should the Dose of Recombinant Activated Factor VII Be Adjusted for Morbidly Obese Patients? Balancing Risk of Bleeding With Thrombosis. J Hematol, 5(1), 60-66.
- Barton R, Hauschild T, Fu K, Mone MC, Kimball E, Nirula R (2015). Nurses placement of feeding tubes using fluoroscopy in critical care. In Rajendram R, Patel V, Preddy V. (Eds.), In Diet and Nutrition in Critical Care. London: Springer Publishing London, England, 2015.
- Lonardo NW, Mone MC, Nirula R, Kimball EJ, Ludwig K, Zhou X, Sauer BC, Nechodom K, Teng C, Barton RG (2014). Propofol is associated with favorable outcomes compared with benzodiazepines in ventilated intensive care unit patients. Am J Respir Crit Care Med, 189(11), 1383-94.
- Barton RG (2014). Nutrition Support. In Joseph E. Parrillo and R. Phillip Dellinger (Eds.), Critical Care Medicine, Principles of Diagnosis and Management in the Adult (4th Edition, pp. 1421-1435). Philadelphia, PA: Mosby, Inc. an affiliate of Elsevier, Inc.
- Byrge N, Barton RG, Enniss TM, Nirula R (2013). Laparoscopic versus open repair of perforated gastroduodenal ulcer: a National Surgical Quality Improvement Program analysis. Am J Surg, 206(6), 957-62; discussion 962-3.
- Hauschild TB, Fu KY, Hipwell RC, Baraghoshi G, Mone MC, Nirula R, Kimball EJ, Barton RG (2012). Safe, timely, convenient, and cost-effective: a single-center experience with bedside placement of enteral feeding tubes by midlevel providers using fluoroscopic guidance. Am J Surg, 204(6), 958-62; discussion 962.
- Al-Temimi MH, Griffee M, Enniss TM, Preston R, Vargo D, Overton S, Kimball E, Barton R, Nirula R (2012). When is death inevitable after emergency laparotomy? Analysis of the American College of Surgeons National Surgical Quality Improvement Program database. J Am Coll Surg, 215(4), 503-11.
- Ludwig KP, Simons HJ, Mone M, Barton RG, Kimball EJ (2011). Implementation of an enoxaparin protocol for venous thromboembolism prophylaxis in obese surgical intensive care unit patients. Ann Pharmacother, 45(11), 1356-62.
- Barton RG (2008). Nutritional Support. In Edited by: Joseph E. Parrillo and R. Phillip Dellinger (Eds.), Critical Care Medicine, Principles of Diagnosis and Management in the Adult (3rd Edition, pp. 1709-1727). Philadelphia, PA: Mosby, Inc., an affiliate of Elsevier, Inc.
- Kimball EJ, Rollins MD, Mone MC, Hansen HJ, Baraghoshi GK, Johnston C, Day ES, Jackson PR, Payne M, Barton RG (2006). Survey of intensive care physicians on the recognition and management of intra-abdominal hypertension and abdominal compartment syndrome. Crit Care Med, 34(9), 2340-8.
- Moser R Jr, Connelly C, Baker L, Barton R, Buttrey J, Morris S, Saffle J, Whitney JR (2005). Development of a state medical surge plan, part I: the procedures, process, and lessons learned or confirmed. Disaster Manag Response, 3(4), 112-7.
- Cochran A, Mann NC, Dean JM, Cook LJ, Barton RG (2004). Resource utilization and its management in splenic trauma. Am J Surg, 187(6), 713-9.
- Crosby EC, Leniszeswki SK, Woodland KK, Warner SE, Dolan RL, Benson JE, Luetkemeier MJ, Barton RG, Askew EW (2004). Effect of Diuretic and Exercise Induced Dehydration on Resting Metabolic Rate in Non-Obese Females. Int J Sport Nutr.
- Koehler R, Mone M, Kimball E, Vargo D, Lonardo N, Barton R (2003). Clostridium difficile pericarditis complicating pseudomembranous colitis in a trauma patient. J Trauma, 55(4), 771-3.
- Barton RG (2003). Initial Approach to the Injured Patient. In Abrams JH, Druck P, Cerra FB (Eds.), Essentials of Surgical Critical Care. Marcel-Dekker.
- Bourne AC, Kraiss LW, Holden JA, Mone MC, Barton RG (2002). Radical resection of a malignant mesenchymoma with hypogastric artery transposition. J Surg Oncol, 80(4), 214-7.
- Wolfe TR, Kimball EJ, Ogden LL, Schafer P, Hartsell SC, Richardson S, Moog MR, Barton R (2002). Evaluation of an electronic esophageal detector device in patients with morbid obesity and pulmonary failure. Prehosp Emerg Care, 6(1), 59-64.
- Johnson SM, Johnson AC, Barton RG (2001). Avalanche trauma and closed head injury: adding insult to injury. Wilderness Environ Med, 12(4), 244-7.
- Bailey SH, Shapiro SB, Mone MC, Saffle JR, Morris SE, Barton RG (2000). Is immediate chest radiograph necessary after central venous catheter placement in a surgical intensive care unit? Am J Surg, 180(6), 517-21; discussion 521-2.
- Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome Network, Brower RG, Matthay MA, Morris A, Schoenfeld D, Thompson BT, Wheeler A (2000). Ventilation with lower tidal volumes as compared with traditional tidal volumes for acute lung injury and the acute respiratory distress syndrome. N Engl J Med, 342(18), 1301-8.
- Shapiro SB, Morris SE, Bull DA, Barton RG (2000). Hypoxemia from an atrial septal defect 7 days after blunt thoracic trauma. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth, 14(1), 56-8.
- Oleynikov D, Cook C, Sellers B, Mone MC, Barton R (1998). Decreased mortality from necrotizing pancreatitis. Am J Surg, 176(6), 648-53.
- Oleynikov D, Kladar P, Stringham J, Barton RG (1998). Case report of pneumatic staple gun injury to the aorta. J Trauma, 45(5), 892-3.
- Michael JR, Barton RG, Saffle JR, Mone M, Markewitz BA, Hillier K, Elstad MR, Campbell EJ, Troyer BE, Whatley RE, Liou TG, Samuelson WM, Carveth HJ, Hinson DM, Morris SE, Davis BL, Day RW (1998). Inhaled nitric oxide versus conventional therapy: effect on oxygenation in ARDS. Am J Respir Crit Care Med, 157(5 Pt 1), 1372-80.
- Barton RG, Cerra FB (1993). Shock. In Beahrs OH, Beart RW, Pemberton JH (Eds.), Surgical Consultations, Looseleaf and Update Service. St. Louis, MO: Mosby-Year Book Inc.
- Barton RG (1993). Initial Approach to the Injured Patient. In Abrams JH, Cerra FB (Eds.), Essentials of Surgical Critical Care: Clinical Cases and Practical Solutions. St. Louis, MO: Quality Medical Publishing, Inc.
- Barton RG (1992). Initial Approach to the Injured Patient. In Abrams JH, Cerra FB (Eds.), Essentials of Surgical Critical Care. St. Louis, MO: Quality Medical Publishing.
- Barton RG, Cerra FB (1991). Metabolic and Nutritional Support. In Mattox KL, Moore EE, Feliciano DV (Eds.). Norwalk, CT: Appleton & Lange.
- Wells CL, Barton RG, Erlandsen SL, Cerra FB, Jechorek RP, Dunn DL (1990). Parenteral Endotoxin and Intestinal Function. In Nowotny A, Spitzer JJ, Zeigler EJ (Eds.), Cellular and Molecular Aspects of Endotoxin Reactions. New York, NY: Elsevier Co.