Elena Y. Enioutina, MD, PhD
Languages spoken: English
Departments: Pediatrics - Research Associate Professor, Pathology - Adjunct Assistant Professor, Pharmaceutics and Pharmaceutical Chemistry - Adjunct Assistant Professor
Divisions: Microbiology and Immunology, Pediatric Clinical Pharmacology
Academic Office Information
- Medicine, Herbal
- Myeloid Derived Suppressor Cells (MDSCs)
- Neonatal Infections/Sepsis
- Chlamydia Infections
Dr. Elena Yu Enioutina holds an M.D. degree in Pediatric Preventive Medicine and a Ph.D. in medicine with a specialization in pharmacology and toxicology. She has hands-on experience in immunopharmacology, pharmacology/toxicology, and animal modeling, as well as extensive academic research experience in immunology, vaccines, and immune senescence. Her long-standing interest in the prophylaxis of infectious diseases goes back to her medical school years. Immune senescence and modulation of immune responses in aged animals by cholesterol-lowering drugs was the topic of her Ph.D. work.
Her current research is mainly focused on phytodrugs dietary supplements: 1) their safety and efficacy, 2) potentiation of conventional drug toxicity by concomitant use with phytodrugs, 3) use of phytodrugs by special patient populations, and 4) use of phytodrugs as an alternative/complementary treatment to conventional antibiotics. She is a Principal Investigator in several clinical trials examining the pharmacokinetics and efficacy of herbal and other natural products. Additionally, Dr. Enioutina is interested in evaluating intravenous immunoglobulins' efficacy in pediatric patients with neurological disorders. She continues her work aimed at optimizing the treatment of neonatal sepsis.
University of Utah School of Medicine
All Union Research Institute of Medicinal Plants (VILAR)
I.M. Sechenov First Moscow State Medical University
I.M. Sechenov First Moscow Institute of Medicine
I.M. Sechenov First Moscow Institute of Medicine
- Hudson RE, Job KM, Sayre CL, Krepkova LV, Sherwin CM, Enioutina EY (2022). Examination of Complementary Medicine for Treating Urinary Tract Infections Among Pregnant Women and Children. [Review]. Front Pharmacol, 13, 883216.
- Job KM, Roberts JK, Enioutina EY, Illamola SM, Kumar SS, Rashid J, Ward RM, Fukuda T, Sherbotie J, Sherwin CM (2021). Treatment optimization of maintenance immunosuppressive agents in pediatric renal transplant recipients. [Review]. Expert Opin Drug Metab Toxicol, 17(7), 747-765.
- Krepkova LV, Bortnikova VV, Babenko AN, Mizina PG, Mkhitarov VA, Job KM, Sherwin CM, Enioutina EY (2021). Effects of a new thyrotropic drug isolated from Potentilla alba on the male reproductive system of rats and offspring development. BMC Complement Med Ther, 21(1), 31.
- Enioutina EY, Job KM, Krepkova LV, Reed MD, Sherwin CM (2020). How can we improve the safe use of herbal medicine and other natural products? A clinical pharmacologist mission. Expert Rev Clin Pharmacol, 13(9), 935-944.
- Biltaji E, Enioutina EY, Yellepeddi V, Rower JE, Sherwin CMT, Ward RM, Lemons RS, Constance JE (2020). Supportive care medications coinciding with chemotherapy among children with hematologic malignancy. Leuk Lymphoma, 61(8), 1920-1931.
- Enioutina EY, Job KM, Sherwin CMT (2020). Why we need to pay attention to toxicity associated with herbal medicines. 13(86(9)), 1793-1794.
- Illamola SM, Amaeze OU, Krepkova LV, Birnbaum AK, Karanam A, Job KM, Bortnikova VV, Sherwin CMT, Enioutina EY (2020). Use of Herbal Medicine by Pregnant Women: What Physicians Need to Know. Front Pharmacol, 10(1483).
- Balch A, Wilkes J, Thorell E, Pavia A, Sherwin CMT, Enioutina EY (2019). Changing trends in IVIG use in pediatric patients: A retrospective review of practices in a network of major USA pediatric hospitals. Int Immunopharmacol, 76, 105868.
- Wagstaff JS, Durrant RJ, Newman MG, Eason R, Ward RM, Sherwin CMT, Enioutina EY (2019). Antibiotic Treatment of Suspected and Confirmed Neonatal Sepsis Within 28 Days of Birth: A Retrospective Analysis. Front Pharmacol, 10, 1191.
- VV Bortnikova, LV Krepkiva, VVKarabaeva, GF Sidelnikova, PG Mizina, KM Job, CMT Sherwin, EY Enioutina (September 2019). Results of a Randomized Clinical Trial related to the Effectiveness of Flakozid, an Antiviral Drug of Herbal Origin. [Abstract].
- JS Wagstaff, MG Newman, EY Enioutina (September 2019). Empiric treatment of neonatal early-onset sepsis: a retrospective analysis of the University of Utah Hospital cases [Abstract].
- Enioutina EY, Teng L, Fateeva TV, Brown JCS, Job KM, Bortnikova VV, Krepkova LV, Gubarev MI, Sherwin CMT (2017). Phytotherapy as an alternative to conventional antimicrobials: combating microbial resistance. Expert Rev Clin Pharmacol, 10(11), 1203-1214.
- Biltaji E, Kumar SS, Enioutina EY, Sherwin CMT (2017). Can ad hoc analyses of clinical trials help personalize treatment decisions? Br J Clin Pharmacol, 83(11), 2337-2338.
- Enioutina EY, Salis ER, Job KM, Gubarev MI, Krepkova LV, Sherwin CM (2017). Herbal Medicines: challenges in the modern world. Part 5. status and current directions of complementary and alternative herbal medicine worldwide. Expert Rev Clin Pharmacol, 10(3), 327-338.
- Yu T, Enioutina EY, Brunner HI, Vinks AA, Sherwin CM (2017). Clinical Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics of Biologic Therapeutics for Treatment of Systemic Lupus Erythematosus. Clin Pharmacokinet, 56(2), 107-125.
- Job KM, Kiang TK, Constance JE, Sherwin CM, Enioutina EY (2016). Herbal medicines: challenges in the modern world. Part 4. Canada and United States. Expert Rev Clin Pharmacol, 9(12), 1597-1609.
- Teng L, Zu Q, Li G, Yu T, Job KM, Yang X, Di L, Sherwin CM, Enioutina EY (2016). Herbal medicines: challenges in the modern world. Part 3. China and Japan. Expert Rev Clin Pharmacol, 9(9), 1225-33.
- Sammons HM, Gubarev MI, Krepkova LV, Bortnikova VV, Corrick F, Job KM, Sherwin CM, Enioutina EY (2016). Herbal medicines: challenges in the modern world. Part 2. European Union and Russia. Expert Rev Clin Pharmacol, 9(8), 1117-27.
- Job KM, Olson J, Stockmann C, Constance JE, Enioutina EY, Rower JE, Linakis MW, Balch AH, Yu T, Liu X, Thorell EA, Sherwin CM (2016). Pharmacodynamic studies of voriconazole: informing the clinical management of invasive fungal infections. Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther, 14(8), 731-46.
- Barnes J, McLachlan AJ, Sherwin CM, Enioutina EY (2016). Herbal medicines: challenges in the modern world. Part 1. Australia and New Zealand. Expert Rev Clin Pharmacol, 9(7), 905-15.
- Enioutina EY, Constance JE, Stockmann C, Linakis MW, Yu T, Rower JE, Balch AH, Sherwin CM (2015). Pharmacokinetic considerations in the use of antivirals in neonates. Expert Opin Drug Metab Toxicol, 11(12), 1861-78.
- Enioutina EY, Bareyan D, Daynes RA (2011). A role for immature myeloid cells in immune senescence. J Immunol, 186(2), 697-707.
- Enioutina EY, Bareyan D, Daynes RA (2009). TLR-induced local metabolism of vitamin D3 plays an important role in the diversification of adaptive immune responses. J Immunol, 182(7), 4296-305.
- Enioutina EY, Visic DM, Daynes RA (2002). The induction of systemic and mucosal immunity to protein vaccines delivered through skin sites exposed to UVB. Vaccine, 20(16), 2116-30.
- Enioutina EY, Visic D, Daynes RA (2000). The induction of systemic and mucosal immune responses to antigen-adjuvant compositions administered into the skin: alterations in the migratory properties of dendritic cells appears to be important for stimulating mucosal immunity. Vaccine, 18(24), 2753-67.
- Enioutina EY, Visic D, McGee ZA, Daynes RA (1999). The induction of systemic and mucosal immune responses following the subcutaneous immunization of mature adult mice: characterization of the antibodies in mucosal secretions of animals immunized with antigen formulations containing a vitamin D3 adjuvant. Vaccine, 17(23-24), 3050-64.
- Michael I. Gubarev, Elena Y. Enioutina, Raymond A. Daynes (1997). Method to Enhance Innate Immunity Defense Mechanisms by Treatment with Plant-Derived Alkaloids.
- Tataurova TA, Krepkova LV, Bortnikova VV, Kuznersov YuB, Enioutina EY aka Eniutina EIu (1988). Preclinical toxicological study of glyciram. Farmakol Toksikol, 51(6), 87-90.
|Doctoral Training||All Union Research Institute of Medicinal Plants (VILAR)
|Internship||I.M. Sechenov First Moscow State Medical University
|Professional Medical||I.M. Sechenov First Moscow Institute of Medicine
|Undergraduate||I.M. Sechenov First Moscow Institute of Medicine
|09/01/2017||Reviewer||AAPS 2017 meeting||Global|