Stephen C. Alder, PhD
Departments: Family & Preventive Medicine - Professor, Health, Kinesiology, and Recreation - Adjunct Professor, Internal Medicine - Adjunct Professor, Obstetrics/Gynecology - Adjunct Assistant Professor
Divisions: Epidemiology, General OB/GYN, Public Health
Academic Office Information
Office for Global Engagement
260 Central Campus Dr, Room: Rm 3105
Salt Lake City, UT 84112
- Global Health and Development
- Community Engagement
- Health Ecology
- Leadership and Administration
- Community-Based Primary Healthcare
- Integrating Public Health & Clinical Medicine
- Health Behavior
- Health Policy
- Health & Medical Innovation and Entrepreneurism
- Biostatistical, Epidemiological & Research Methods
My research focuses on optimizing health through human-centric and system-changing development. My current work focuses on how to engage communities to build capacity for accessing resources needed to achieve high quality health. This includes working with both researchers and community groups across an array of research topics. I also lead research that is focused on translational and implementation science aimed at improving community-based health resources and developing community capacity for improving public health. I am currently working on creation of community-based approaches to developing primary health resources that are integrated into the broader health system. I also serve as a consulting expert on health workforce modeling to guide strategies for developing health professionals. I am helping to develop a research program focused on the integration of strengthening community health and creating pathways for self-reliance through economic development. I continue to serve as a collaborating expert on research projects where I provide guidance on health behavior theory, research methods and biostatistics. My research activities are both domestic and international, with a record of extramurally funded projects that have been conducted locally, regionally, nationally and globally.
University of Oxford
University of Utah
Health Promotion and Education, Community Health Emphasis
University of Utah
University of Utah
Environment and Behavior
- Toth DJA, Beams AB, Keegan LT, Zhang Y, Greene T, Orleans B, Seegert N, Looney A, Alder SC, Samore MH (2021). High variability in transmission of SARS-CoV-2 within households and implications for control. PLoS One (16(11), pp. e0259097). United States.
- Samore MH, Looney A, Orleans B, Greene T, Seegert N, Delgado JC, Presson A, Zhang C, Ying J, Zhang Y, Shen J, Slev P, Gaulin M, Yang MJ, Pavia AT, Alder SC (2021). Probability-Based Estimates of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 Seroprevalence and Detection Fraction, Utah, USA. Emerg Infect Dis (27(11), pp. 2786-2794). United States.
- Simonsen SE, Digre KB, Ralls B, Mukundente V, Davis FA, Rickard S, Tavake-Pasi F, Napia EE, Aiono H, Chirpich M, Stark LA, Sunada G, Keen K, Johnston L, Frost CJ, Varner MW, Alder SC (2014). A gender-based approach to developing a healthy lifestyle and healthy weight intervention for diverse Utah women. Eval Program Plann, 51, 8-16.
- Long KN, Long PM, Pinto S, Crookston BT, Gren LH, Mihalopoulos NL, Dickerson TT, Alder SC (2013). Development and validation of the Indian Adolescent Health Questionnaire. J Trop Pediatr, 59(3), 231-42.
- Stone MB, Stanford JB, Lyon JL, VanDerslice JA, Alder SC (2012). Childhood thyroid radioiodine exposure and subsequent infertility in the intermountain fallout cohort. Environ Health Perspect, 121(1), 79-84.
- Stone MB, Botto LD, Feldkamp ML, Smith KR, Roling L, Yamashiro D, Alder SC (2010). Improving quality of life of children with oral clefts: perspectives of parents. J Craniofac Surg, 21(5), 1358-64.
- Dye HM, Stanford JB, Alder SC, Kim HS, Murphy PA (2005). Women and postfertilization effects of birth control: consistency of beliefs, intentions and reported use. BMC Womens Health, 5, 11.
|Alder, SC and Gay, GD, Global Public Health Grand Rounds, "Creating Value", University of Utah||Ghana|
|01/15/2011||Member & Advisor||Board of Governors, Kpong, Ghana||Ghana|
|03/01/2017||Acting President||Kpong, Ghana||Ghana|