Lisa H. Gren, PhD
Languages spoken: English
Departments: Family & Preventive Medicine - Associate Professor
Divisions: Public Health
Academic Office Information
- Refugee Integration
- Population Health Evaluation
- Clinical Quality Improvement
- Practice Transformation
- Clinical Trials of Screening and Disease Management
Lisa Gren, PhD, MSPH is an Associate Professor in the Division of Public Health at the University of Utah. Dr. Gren has earned a BS degree in microbiology, MSPH in Public Health, and PhD in Public Health. She teaches Introduction to Biostatistics (PBHLT 6100) and Public Health Systems and Services (PBHLT 6500). Dr. Gren is the Director for the University of Utah Primary Care Research Network, and Associate Director for the Center for Research on Migration and Refugee Immigration.
My overall research goal is to identify the right type of care needed to improve health, and deliver it to the right person at the right time. My clinical trials work is focused on finding the right type of care, and has resulted in (1) changes to the United States Preventive Services Task Force recommendations on cancer screening and (2) updates to hypertension management guidelines. My work in primary care clinics is focused on improving quality of care, and satisfaction of patients, providers and staff. My work with refugees and immigrants, as well as international work in Ghana and Korea, is focused on descriptive epidemiology to identify health needs, followed by community engagement to implement interventions that improve population health
University of Utah
Summer Course: clinical research, epidemiology, statistics
University of Utah
University of Utah
Brigham Young University
- Nelson JR, Ess RH, Dickerson TT, Gren LH, Benson LS, Manortey SO, Alder SC (2022). Strategies to increase rural maternal utilization of skilled health personnel for childbirth delivery in low- and middle-income countries: a narrative review. [Review]. Glob Health Action, 15(1), 2058170.
- Pfledderer CD, Gren LH, Frost CJ, Andrulis IL, Chung WK, Genkinger J, Glendon G, Hopper JL, John EM, Southey M, Terry MB, Daly MB (2022). Women's thoughts on receiving and sharing genetic information: Considerations for genetic counseling. J Genet Couns, 31(6), 1249-1260.
- Scoville J, Joyce E, Harper J, Hunsaker J, Gren L, Porucznik C, Kestle JRW (2022). A survey and analysis of pediatric stroke protocols. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis, 31(9), 106661.
- Palmer T, Benson LS, Porucznik C, Gren LH (2022). Impact of COVID-19 Social Distancing Mandates on Gastrointestinal Pathogen Positivity: Secondary Data Analysis. JMIR Public Health Surveill, 8(8), e34757.
- Koric A, Chang CP, Mark B, Rowe K, Snyder J, Dodson M, Deshmukh VG, Newman MG, Fraser AM, Smith KR, Date AP, Gren LH, Porucznik CA, Haaland BA, Henry NL, Hashibe M (2022). Cardiovascular disease risk in long-term breast cancer survivors: A population-based cohort study. Cancer, 128(14), 2826-2835.
- Kurella Tamura M, Gaussoin S, Pajewski NM, Zaharchuk G, Freedman BI, Rapp SR, Auchus AP, Haley WE, Oparil S, Kendrick J, Roumie CL, Beddhu S, Cheung AK, Williamson JD, Detre JA, Dolui S, Bryan RN, Nasrallah IM, SPRINT Research Group (2021). Kidney Disease, Hypertension Treatment, and Cerebral Perfusion and Structure. Am J Kidney Dis, 79(5), 677-687.e1.
- Williams AC, Martinez LI, Garrison A, Frost CJ, Gren LH (2021). Factors leading to satisfaction with counseling for Labor after Cesarean among Latina women in the United States. Birth, 49(1), 71-79.
- Waters AR, Gren LH, Rogers CR, Kirchhoff AC, Warner EL (2021). Qualitative inquiry of cancer caregiving during young adulthood: responsibilities, challenges, teamwork, and social support. J Psychosoc Oncol Res Pract, 3(4).
- SPRINT Research Group, Lewis CE, Fine LJ, Beddhu S, Cheung AK, Cushman WC, Cutler JA, Evans GW, Johnson KC, Kitzman DW, Oparil S, Rahman M, Reboussin DM, Rocco MV, Sink KM, Snyder JK, Whelton PK, Williamson JD, Wright JT Jr, Ambrosius WT (2021). Final Report of a Trial of Intensive versus Standard Blood-Pressure Control. N Engl J Med, 384(20), 1921-1930.
- Nasrallah IM, Gaussoin SA, Pomponio R, Dolui S, Erus G, Wright CB, Launer LJ, Detre JA, Wolk DA, Davatzikos C, Williamson JD, Pajewski NM, Bryan RN, SPRINT Research Group (2021). Association of Intensive vs Standard Blood Pressure Control With Magnetic Resonance Imaging Biomarkers of Alzheimer Disease: Secondary Analysis of the SPRINT MIND Randomized Trial. JAMA Neurol, 78(5), 568-577.
- Pfledderer CD, Gren LH, Metos J, Brusseau TA, OToole K, Buys SS, Daly MB, Frost CJ (2021). Mothers' Diet and Family Income Predict Daughters' Healthy Eating. Prev Chronic Dis, 18, E24.
- Hu Q, Chang CP, Rowe K, Snyder J, Deshmukh V, Newman M, Fraser A, Smith K, Gren LH, Porucznik C, Stanford JB, Gaffney D, Henry NL, Lopez I, Hashibe M (2021). Disparities in Cardiovascular Disease Risk Among Hispanic Breast Cancer Survivors in a Population-Based Cohort. JNCI Cancer Spectr, 5(2).
- Nagelhout ES, Lensink R, Zhu A, Parsons BG, Haaland B, Hashibe M, Grossman D, VanDerslice J, Gren LH, Jensen JD, Wu YP (2020). Higher Ultraviolet Radiation Exposure Among Rural-Dwelling Versus Urban-Dwelling Adults and Children: Implications for Skin Cancer Prevention. J Community Health, 46(1), 147-155.
- Thiesset HF, Schliep KC, Stokes SM, Valentin VL, Gren LH, Porucznik CA, Huang LC (2020). Opioid Misuse and Dependence Screening Practices Prior to Surgery. J Surg Res, 252, 200-205.
- Contreras G, Lu L, Tamariz L, Rocco MV, Papademetriou V, Kostis JB, Pisoni R, Glasser SP, Sweeney ME, Basile J, Gren LH, Zamanian S, Cushman WC, SPRINT Research Group (2020). Outcomes in adults with systolic blood pressure between 130 and 139 mmHg in Action to Control Cardiovascular Risk in Diabetes Blood Pressure trial and Systolic Blood Pressure Intervention Trial. J Hypertens, 38(8), 1567-1577.
- Chavez JL, Porucznik CA, Gren LH, Guan J, Joyce E, Brodke DS, Dailey AT, Mahan MA, Hood RS, Lawrence BD, Spiker WR, Spina NT, Bisson EF (2020). The Impact of Preoperative Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction on Postoperative Outcomes in Lumbar Spine Degenerative Disease: 3-Month and 12-Month Results of a Pilot Study. World Neurosurg, 139, e230-e236.
- Hyde MA, Grossman D, Wu YP, Buys S, Gren LH, Hashibe M (2020). Vitamin D, melanoma risk, and tumor thickness in PLCO cancer screening trial patients. JAAPA, 33(6), 35-41.
- Qeadan F, Honda T, Gren LH, Dailey-Provost J, Benson LS, VanDerslice JA, Porucznik CA, Waters AB, Lacey S, Shoaf K (2020). Naive Forecast for COVID-19 in Utah Based on the South Korea and Italy Models-the Fluctuation between Two Extremes. Int J Environ Res Public Health, 17(8).
- Kawakita D, Lee YA, Gren LH, Buys SS, La Vecchia C, Hashibe M (2019). Fiber intake and the risk of head and neck cancer in the prostate, lung, colorectal and ovarian (PLCO) cohort. Int J Cancer, 145(9), 2342-2348.
- Lee AK, Katz R, Jotwani V, Garimella PS, Ambrosius WT, Cheung AK, Gren LH, Neyra JA, Punzi H, Raphael KL, Shlipak MG, Ix JH (2019). Distinct Dimensions of Kidney Health and Risk of Cardiovascular Disease, Heart Failure, and Mortality. Hypertension, 74(4), 872-879.
- McAdam-Marx C, Tak C, Petigara T, Jones NW, Yoo M, Briley MS, Gunning K, Gren L (2019). Impact of a guideline-based best practice alert on pneumococcal vaccination rates in adults in a primary care setting. BMC Health Serv Res, 19(1), 474.
- Tamariz L, Gajardo M, Still CH, Gren LH, Clark E, Walsh S, Whittle J, Nord J, Ramsey T, Contreras G, SPRINT Research Group (2019). The impact of central IRB's on informed consent readability and trial adherence in SPRINT. Contemp Clin Trials Commun, 15, 100407.
- Schliep KC, Denhalter D, Gren LH, Panushka KA, Singh TP, Varner MW (2019). Factors in the Hospital Experience Associated with Postpartum Breastfeeding Success. Breastfeed Med, 14(5), 334-341.
- Byun J, Post RH, Frost CJ, Self A, Glenn AB, Gren LH (2019). Assessing the Approach to HIV Case Management. Soc Work Public Health, 34(4), 307-317.
- Van Hala S, Cochella S, Jaggi R, Frost CJ, Kiraly B, Pohl S, Gren L (2018). Development and validation of the Foundational Healthcare Leadership Self-Assessment. Fam Med, 50(4), 262-8.
- Metos J, Gren L, Brusseau T Jr, Moric E, OToole K, Mokhtari T, Buys S, Frost C (2018). Adolescent Girls’ Reactions to Nutrition and Physical Activity Assessment Tools and Insight into Life Style Habits. Health Educ J, 77(1), 85-95.
- Brown K, Fortenberry K, Gren L, Gunning K, McAdam-Marx C (2017). Achievement of adequate glycemic control in patients with type 2 diabetes and comorbid mental health conditions treated in a primary care setting. Diabetes Spectr, 30(4), 277-87.
- Gren LH, Jaggi R, Landward R, Benson LS, Frost CJ (2017). A community health coach-delivered mental wellness intervention: using Mind-Body Bridging to reduce health disparities in diverse communities. Pedagogy Health Promot, 3(3), 167-76.
- Brunisholz KD, Joy EA, Hashibe M, Gren LH, Savitz LA, Hamilton S, Cannon W, Huynh K, Schafer TAN, Newman LM, Parker J, Musselman J, Kim J (2017). Stepping Back to Move Forward: Evaluating the Effectiveness of a Diabetes Prevention Program Within a Large Integrated Healthcare Delivery System. J Healthc Qual, 39(5), 278-293.
- Berlowitz DR, Foy CG, Kazis LE, Bolin LP, Conroy MB, Fitzpatrick P, Gure TR, Kimmel PL, Kirchner K, Morisky DE, Newman J, Olney C, Oparil S, Pajewski NM, Powell J, Ramsey T, Simmons DL, Snyder J, Supiano MA, Weiner DE, Whittle J, SPRINT Research Group (2017). Effect of Intensive Blood-Pressure Treatment on Patient-Reported Outcomes. N Engl J Med, 377(8), 733-744.
- Long KNG, Gren LH, Long PM, Jaggi R, Banik S, Mihalopoulos NL (2017). A picture of Indian adolescent mental health: an analysis from three urban secondary schools, Epub ahead of print, DOI: 10.1515/ijamh-2017-0035. Int J Adolesc Med Health.
- Parsons BG, Gren LH, Simonsen SE, Harding G, Grossman D, Wu YP (2017). Opportunities for Skin Cancer Prevention Education among Individuals Attending a Community Skin Cancer Screening in a High-Risk Catchment Area.LID - 10.1007/s10900-017-0406-8 [doi]. J Community Health, 43(2), 212-219.
- Brunisholz KD, Kim J, Savitz LA, Hashibe M, Gren LH, Hamilton S, Huynh K, Joy EA (2017). A Formative Evaluation of a Diabetes Prevention Program Using the RE-AIM Framework in a Learning Health Care System, Utah, 2013-2015. Prev Chronic Dis, 14, E58.
- Talboys SL, Kaur M, VanDerslice J, Gren LH, Bhattacharya H, Alder SC (2017). What Is Eve Teasing? A Mixed Methods Study of Sexual Harassment of Young Women in the Rural Indian Context. Sage Open.
- Hawkins ML, Buys SS, Gren LH, Simonsen SE, Kirchhoff AC, Hashibe M (2016). Do cancer survivors develop healthier lifestyle behaviors than the cancer-free population in the PLCO study? J Cancer Surviv, 11(2), 233-245.
- Berlowitz DR, Breaux-Shropshire T, Foy CG, Gren LH, Kazis L, Lerner AJ, Newman JC, Powell JR, Riley WT, Rosman R, Wadley VG, Williams JA (2016). Hypertension Treatment and Concern About Falling: Baseline Data from the Systolic Blood Pressure Intervention Trial.LID - 10.1111/jgs.14441 [doi]. J Am Geriatr Soc.
- Viau KS, Jones JL, Murtaugh MA, Gren LH, Stanford JB, Bilder DA (2016). Phone-based motivational interviewing to increase self-efficacy in individuals with phenylketonuria. Mol Genet Metab Rep, 6, 27-33.
- Brunisholz KD, Joy EA, Hashibe M, Gren LH, Savitz LA, Hamilton S, Cannon W, Kim J (2016). Incidental Risk of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus among Patients with Confirmed and Unconfirmed Prediabetes. PLoS One, 11(7), e0157729.
- Ball TJ, Joy EA, Gren LH, Cunningham R, Shaw JM (2015). Predictive Validity of an Adult Physical Activity "Vital Sign" Recorded in Electronic Health Records. J Phys Act Health.
- Pippitt K, Moloney-Johns A, Jalilibahabadi S, Gren LH (2015). Collaboration versus competition: an interprofessional education experience. Fam Med, 47(4), 298-301.
- Gohagan JK, Broski K, Gren LH, Fouad MN, Higgins D, Lappe K, Ogden S, Shambaugh V, Pinsky PF, OBrien B, Yurgalevich S, Riley T, Wright P, Prorok PC (2015). Managing Multi-Center Recruitment in the PLCO Cancer Screening Trial. Rev Recent Clin Trials, 10(3), 187-93.
- Marcus PM, Broski KG, Buys SS, Childs J, Church TR, Gohagan JK, Gren LH, Higgins D, Jaggi R, Jenkins V, Johnson CC, Lappe K, OBrien B, Ogden SL, Prorok PC, Reding D, Shambaugh V, Yokochi LA, Yurgalevitch S (2015). Building Successful Relationships in the PLCO Cancer Screening Trial. Rev Recent Clin Trials, 10(3), 181-6.
- Gren LH, Lamerato LE, Wright P, Marcus PM (2015). Validation of Self-Report of Chest X-Ray Exam at a Prostate, Lung, Colorectal and Ovarian Cancer Screening Trial Center. Rev Recent Clin Trials, 10(3), 194-9.
- Gohagan JK, OBrien B, Hasson MA, Umbel KD, Bridgeman B, Kramer BS, Reding D, Gren L, Wright P, Riley T, Prorok PC (2015). Comprehensive Quality Management (CQM) in the PLCO Trial. Rev Recent Clin Trials, 10(3), 223-32.
- Jones KB, Gren LH, Backman R (2014). Improving pediatric immunization rates: description of a resident-led clinical continuous quality improvement project. Fam Med, 46(8), 631-5.
- Gren LH, Porucznik CA, Joy EA, Lyon JL, Staes CJ, Alder SC (March 2013). Point-of-care testing as an influenza surveillance tool: Methodology and lessons learned from implementation. Influenza Res Treat, 2013(Art#242970).
- National Lung Screening Trial Research Team, Aberle DR, Berg CD, Black WC, Church TR, Fagerstrom RM, Galen B, Gareen IF, Gatsonis C, Goldin J, Gohagan JK, Hillman B, Jaffe C, Kramer BS, Lynch D, Marcus PM, Schnall M, Sullivan DC, Sullivan D, Zylak CJ (2010). The National Lung Screening Trial: overview and study design. Radiology, 258(1), 243-53.
- Oken MM, Marcus PM, Hu P, Beck TM, Hocking W, Kvale PA, Cordes J, Riley TL, Winslow SD, Peace S, Levin DL, Prorok PC, Gohagan JK, PLCO Project Team (2005). Baseline chest radiograph for lung cancer detection in the randomized Prostate, Lung, Colorectal and Ovarian Cancer Screening Trial. J Natl Cancer Inst, 97(24), 1832-9.
- Buys SS, Partridge E, Greene MH, Prorok PC, Reding D, Riley TL, Hartge P, Fagerstrom RM, Ragard LR, Chia D, Izmirlian G, Fouad M, Johnson CC, Gohagan JK, PLCO Project Team (2004). Ovarian cancer screening in the Prostate, Lung, Colorectal and Ovarian (PLCO) cancer screening trial: findings from the initial screen of a randomized trial. Am J Obstet Gynecol, 193(5), 1630-9.
- Weissfeld JL, Schoen RE, Pinsky PF, Bresalier RS, Church T, Yurgalevitch S, Austin JH, Prorok PC, Gohagan JK, PLCO Project Team (2005). Flexible sigmoidoscopy in the PLCO cancer screening trial: results from the baseline screening examination of a randomized trial. J Natl Cancer Inst, 97(13), 989-97.
- Andriole GL, Levin DL, Crawford ED, Gelmann EP, Pinsky PF, Chia D, Kramer BS, Reding D, Church TR, Grubb RL, Izmirlian G, Ragard LR, Clapp JD, Prorok PC, Gohagan JK, PLCO Project Team (2005). Prostate Cancer Screening in the Prostate, Lung, Colorectal and Ovarian (PLCO) Cancer Screening Trial: findings from the initial screening round of a randomized trial. J Natl Cancer Inst, 97(6), 433-8.
|Other Training||Erasmus University
Summer Course: clinical research, epidemiology, statistics
|Gren LH, Batar A, Mai T, Nystrom B. Dialogue on Trump's Executive Order on Immigration - Researcher Perspective. Center for Research on Migration & Refugee Integration, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT, USA.||Global|
|01/01/2015||Committee Member||Learning Abroad Working Group, Develop guidelines for learning abroad student experiences.||Global|
|03/10/2015||Chair||Ensign College of Public Health (ECOPH) Workshop Planning Committee. Developed financial model for short courses to be convened in Kpong, Ghana at ECOPH.||Ghana|
|09/01/2015||Committee Member||Ensign College of Public Health (ECOPH) Faculty Planning Committee. Develop plans for facilities, curriculum, and activities at the ECOPH campus.||Ghana|
|07/01/2015||Committee Member||Education Committee. Develop policy and strategies for achieving academic objectives in masters and doctoral programs at the home and global campuses.||Global|
|09/01/2015||Co-Developer||Assisted in developing the application that resulted in the founding of the Center, including development of vision and mission statements related to intended areas of emphasis in educaton, outreach, and research.||Global|
|07/01/2016||Committee Member||Asia Campus advisory committee. Participate in discussions to guide the activities of the educational program for MPH students at the campus in Incheon, South Korea; accept teaching assignments at the Utah Asia Campus.||Korea|
|02/27/2017||Member||Search Committee for faculty recruitment at Ensign College of Public Health||Ghana|