Departments: Internal Medicine - Research Assistant Professor
Academic Office Information
- Survey Methodology
- Research Recruitment Methods
- Social Disparities in Cancer
- Health Disparities
Morgan M. Millar, PhD is an assistant professor of Epidemiology, Department of Internal Medicine at the University of Utah. She is Director of the Clinical and Translational Sciences Institute's Survey Design and Measurement Core and Director of Evaluation and Quality Assessment for Utah Cancer Registry. She is also a member of the Huntsman Cancer Institute's Cancer Control and Population Sciences Program. She conducts research on survey methodology and cancer health disparities including assessing needs of cancer survivors. She teaches Survey Methods in the Master of Science in Clinical Investigation program.
Dr. Millar received an MA and PhD in sociology from Washington State University. She completed a postdoctoral fellowship at the Social and Economic Sciences Research Center focusing on survey methodology.
Washington State University
Washington State University
Washington State University
Social Sciences, History minor
- DiDomizio PG, Millar MM, Olson L, Murphy N, Moore D (2022). Palliative Care Needs Assessment for Pediatric Complex Care Providers. J Pain Symptom Manage, 65(2), 73-80.
- Millar MM, Herget KA, Ofori-Atta B, Codden RR, Edwards SL, Carter ME, Belnap B, Kirchhoff AC, Sweeney C (2023). Cancer survivorship experiences in Utah: an evaluation assessing indicators of survivors' quality of life, health behaviors, and access to health services. Cancer Causes Control, 34(4), 337-347.
- Gawron LM, Young J, Yang S, Galyean P, Callegari LS, Gero A, Simmons RG, Millar MM, Zickmund SL (2024). Women's Health Provider Perspectives on Reproductive Services Provision in the Veterans Health Administration. South Med J, 116(2), 181-187.
- Millar MM, Taft T, Weir CR (2022). Clinical trial recruitment in primary care: exploratory factor analysis of a questionnaire to measure barriers and facilitators to primary care providers' involvement. BMC Prim Care, 23(1), 311.
- Collins MM, Ou Z, Millar MM, Kittleson MM, May LJ, Ploutz MS, Molina KM, Hayes KG, Lal AK (2022). Attitudes & practices surrounding pregnancy post heart transplant among pediatric providers. J Heart Lung Transplant, 41(11), 1611-1616.
- Etheridge T, Kennedy B, Millar MM, Brintz BJ, Wu C, Pettey J (2022). Cognitive enhancing supplements and medications in United States Resident Physicians. BMC Med Educ, 22(1), 744.
- Millar MM, Edwards SL, Herget KA, Orleans B, Ofori-Atta BS, Kirchhoff AC, Carter ME, Nagata M, Sweeney C (2022). Adherence to Guideline-Recommended cancer screening among Utah cancer survivors. Cancer Med.
- Warner EL, Millar MM, Orleans B, Edwards SL, Carter ME, Vaca Lopez PL, Sweeney C, Kirchhoff AC (2022). Cancer survivors' financial hardship and their caregivers' employment: results from a statewide survey. J Cancer Surviv.
- Kozlowski Z, Sanders JN, Panushka K, Myers K, Millar MM, Gawron LM (2022). “It’s a Vicious Cycle”: A Mixed Methods Study of the Role of Family Planning in Housing Insecurity for Women. J Health Care Poor Underserved, 33(1), 104-119.
- Millar MM, Olson LM, VanBuren JM, Richards R, Pollack MM, Holubkov R, Berg RA, Carcillo JA, McQuillen PS, Meert KL, Mourani PM, Burd RS (2021). Incentive delivery timing and follow-up survey completion in a prospective cohort study of injured children: a randomized experiment comparing prepaid and postpaid incentives. BMC Med Res Methodol, 21(1), 233.
- Brown LL, Talker R, Stoddard GJ, Clayton J, Millar MM, Jo Y, Bardsley T, Stipelman CH (2021). Breastfeeding Attitudes and Practices in a Rural Utah Navajo Community. Matern Child Health J, 26, 397-406.
- Shete S, Deng Y, Shannon J, Faseru B, Middleton D, Iachan R, Bernardo B, Balkrishnan R, Kim SJ, Huang B, Millar MM, Fuemmler B, Jensen JD, Mendoza JA, Hu J, Lazovich D, Robertson L, Demark-Wahnefried W, Paskett ED, Rural Workgroup of the Population Health Assessment in Cancer Center Catchment Areas Initiative (2021). Differences in Breast and Colorectal Cancer Screening Adherence Among Women Residing in Urban and Rural Communities in the United States. JAMA Netw Open, 4(10), e2128000.
- Millar MM, Hewes HA, Genovesi AL, Ely M, Green B, Schmuhl P, Polzin K, Santana CR, Minkler M, Olson LM (2021). The Effect of the Familiarity of a Survey Sender on Response Outcomes in a Large-Scale Survey of Emergency Medical Services Agencies. Eval Health Prof, 44(3), 260-267.
- Bress AP, Cohen JB, Anstey DE, Conroy MB, Ferdinand KC, Fontil V, Margolis KL, Muntner P, Millar MM, Okuyemi KS, Rakotz MK, Reynolds K, Safford MM, Shimbo D, Stuligross J, Green BB, Mohanty AF (2021). Inequities in Hypertension Control in the United States Exposed and Exacerbated by COVID-19 and the Role of Home Blood Pressure and Virtual Health Care During and After the COVID-19 Pandemic. J Am Heart Assoc, 10(11), e020997.
- Jacobs AC, Malhotra NR, Purnell SM, Lee YJ, Wolf L, Millar MM, Cartwright PC, Smith BK (2020). Quality improvement education in surgical specialty training: A comparison of Vascular Surgery resident and Urology Resident experiences and attitudes. Am J Surg, 221(5), 993-999.
- Gawron LM, Simonsen S, Millar MM, Lewis-Caporal J, Patel S, Simmons RG (2021). Pregnancy Risk Screening and Counseling for Women Veterans: Piloting the One Key Question in the Veterans Healthcare Administration. South Med J, 114(3), 150-155.
- Malhotra NR, Smith JD, Jacobs AC, Johnson CE, Khan US, Ellison HB, Brintz BJ, Millar MM, Cloud WG, Nahmias J, Hendershot KM, Smith BK (2020). High value care education in general surgery residency programs: A multi-institutional needs assessment. Am J Surg, 221(2), 291-297.
- Millar MM, Herget K, Sweeney C (2020). Cancer in Utah: Incidence and mortality statistics through 2017. Salt Lake City, UT: Utah Cancer Registry.
- Malhotra NR, Lee YJ, Millar MM, Cartwright PC, Smith BK (2020). Experiences With Quality Improvement in Training: A National Survey of Urology Residents. Urology, 145, 83-89.
- Hummel K, Presson AP, Millar MM, Larsen G, Kadish H, Olson LM (2020). An Assessment of Clinical and System Drivers of Family Satisfaction in the PICU. Pediatr Crit Care Med, 21(10), e888-e897.
- Gallicchio L, Elena JW, Fagan S, Carter M, Hamilton AS, Hastert TA, Hunter LL, Li J, Lynch CF, Milam J, Millar MM, Modjeski D, Paddock LE, Reed AR, Moses LB, Stroup AM, Sweeney C, Trapido EJ, West MM, Wu XC, Helzlsouer KJ (2020). Utilizing SEER Cancer Registries for Population-Based Cancer Survivor Epidemiologic Studies: A Feasibility Study. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 29(9), 1699-1709.
- Chow CJ, Millar MM, Lpez AM (2020). Gender Discrimination Among Academic Physicians. Womens Health Rep (New Rochelle), 1(1), 203-211.
- Hummel K, Millar M, Olson L (2020). Q-Tip: Using a Structured Quality Improvement Process to Generate High-Quality Family Satisfaction Data. Am J Med Qual, 35(3), 282.
- Kohring JM, Harrast JJ, Stotts AK, Zhang C, Millar MM, Presson AP, Saltzman CL (2019). Resident Independence Performing Common Orthopaedic Procedures at the End of Training: Perspective of the Graduated Resident. J Bone Joint Surg Am, 102(1), e2.
- Purnell SM, Wolf L, Millar MM, Smith BK (2019). A National Survey of Integrated Vascular Surgery Residents' Experiences With and Attitudes About Quality Improvement During Residency. J Surg Educ, 77(1), 158-165.
- Millar MM, Elena JW, Gallicchio L, Edwards SL, Carter ME, Herget KA, Sweeney C (2019). The feasibility of web surveys for obtaining patient-reported outcomes from cancer survivors: a randomized experiment comparing survey modes and brochure enclosures. BMC Med Res Methodol, 19(1), 208.
- Taylor MA, Allen CM, Presson AP, Millar MM, Zurbuchen R, Matsen CB (2019). Exploring Surgeon Variability in Recommendations for Contralateral Prophylactic Mastectomy: What Matters Most? Ann Surg Oncol, 26(10), 3224-3231.
- Stotts AK, Kohring JM, Presson AP, Millar MM, Harrast JJ, Van Heest AE, Zhang C, Saltzman CL (2019). Perceptions of the Recommended Resident Experience with Common Orthopaedic Procedures: A Survey of Program Directors and Early Practice Surgeons. J Bone Joint Surg Am, 101(113), e63.
- Millar MM, Kinney AY, Camp NJ, Cannon-Albright LA, Hashibe M, Penson DF, Kirchhoff AC, Neklason DW, Gilsenan AW, Dieck GS, Stroup AM, Edwards SL, Bateman C, Carter ME, Sweeney C (2018). Predictors of Response Outcomes for Research Recruitment Through a Central Cancer Registry: Evidence From 17 Recruitment Efforts for Population-Based Studies. Am J Epidemiol, 188(5), 928-939.
- Millar MM, Schmuhl P, Page K, Genovesi AL, Ely M, Hemingway C, Olson LM (2018). Improving Response to an Establishment Survey through the Use of Web-Push Data Collection Methods. Math Popul Stud, 25(3), 168-179.
- Hashibe M, Kirchhoff AC, Kepka D, Kim J, Millar M, Sweeney C, Herget K, Monroe M, Henry NL, Lopez AM, Mooney K (2018). Disparities in cancer survival and incidence by metropolitan versus rural residence in Utah. Cancer Med, 7(4), 1490-1497.
- Gawron AJ, Lawrence P, Millar MM, Dominitz JA, Gupta S, Whooley M, Kaltenbach T (2019). A Nationwide Survey and Needs Assessment of Colonoscopy Quality Assurance Programs in the VA. Fed Pract, 35(3), 26-32.
- Dillman DA, Hao F, Millar MM (2017). Improving Effectiveness of Online Data Collection by Mixing Survey Modes. In Fielding NG, Lee RM, Blank G. (Eds.), The Sage Handbook of Online Research Methods (2nd Ed., pp. 220-237). Los Angeles: Sage Publications.
- Sweeney C, Herget KA, Otto VY, McFadden S, Millar MM (2016). Cancer in Utah: An Overview of Incidence and Mortality 2004-2013. Salt Lake City, UT: Utah Cancer Registry.
- Smyth JD, Olson K, Millar MM (2014). Identifying predictors of survey mode preference. Soc Sci Res, 48, 135-44.
- Millar MM (2013). Interdisciplinary Research and the Early Career: The Effect of Interdisciplinary Dissertation Research on Career Placement and Publication Productivity of Doctoral Graduates in the Sciences. Res Policy, 42, 1152-64.
- Millar MM, Dillman DA (2012). Encouraging Survey Response via Smartphones: Effects on Respondents’ Use of Mobile Devices and Survey Response Rates. 5(3).
- Millar MM, Dillman DA (2012). Do Mail and Internet Surveys Produce Different Item Nonresponse Rates? An Experiment Using Random Mode Assignment. 5(2).
- Millar MM, Dillman DA (2011). Improving Response to Web and Mixed-Mode Surveys. Public Opin Q, 75, 249-69.