Paula M. Meek, PhD, RN, FAAN
Departments: Nursing - Professor
Divisions: Acute and Chronic Care
Academic Office Information
- Drug Resistance
My research is rooted in a pragmatist approach to understanding symptoms appraisal and management in acute and chronic situations and conditions. Symptoms are subjective sensations that serve as the canary in the mine shaft to signal changes in chronic illness. Rarely can we monitor patients at home 24 hours a day, we must rely on patients to report significant changes thus we must rely on self-reports of the magnitude and frequency. My research seeks to undersatnd these decision from the patient and their caregivers perspective.
- Thumm EB Smith DC (03/01/2022). Burnout of the US midwifery workforce and the role of practice environment. Health Serv Res, 57, 351-363.
- McIlvennan CK Jones J Makic M Meek PM (12/01/2021). Stress and Coping Among Family Caregivers of Patients With a Destination Therapy Left Ventricular Assist Device: A Multicenter Mixed Methods Study. Circ Heart Fail, 14, e008243.
- Tulu SN Cook P (11/01/2021). Chronic disease self-care: A concept analysis. Nurs Forum, 56, 734-741.
- Aronson KI Danoff SK Russell AM Ryerson CJ Suzuki A Wijsenbeek MS Bajwah S Bianchi P Corte TJ Lee JS (09/01/2021). Patient-centered Outcomes Research in Interstitial Lung Disease: An Official American Thoracic Society Research Statement. Am J Respir Crit Care Med, 204, e3-e23.
- Maddox LJ Albritton J Morse J (05/01/2021). Implementation and Outcomes of a Telehealth Neonatology Program in a Single Healthcare System. Front Pediatr, 9, 648536.
- Hyden KF (10/07/2020). Home-Based Palliative Care: Perspectives of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Patients and Their Caregivers. 7, 327-335.
- Thumm EB (09/07/2020). Development and Initial Psychometric Testing of the Midwifery Practice Climate Scale. 65, 643-650.
- Thumm EB (09/07/2020). Development and Initial Psychometric Testing of the Midwifery Practice Climate Scale - Part 2. 65, 651-659.
- Massouh A (05/31/2020). Determinants of Self-Care in Patients With Heart Failure: Observations From a Developing Country in the Middle East. 31, 294-303 .
- Nici L (05/01/2020). Pharmacologic Management of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. An Official American Thoracic Society Clinical Practice Guideline. 201, e56-e69.
- Massouh A (02/01/2020). Self-care confidence mediates self-care maintenance and management in patients with heart failure. . 49, 30-35.
- Coats H (01/06/2020). Connection": The Integration of a Person-Centered Narrative Intervention Into the Electronic Health Record: An Implementation Study. . 23, 785-791.
Awards & Honors