Olga V. Patterson, PhD
Languages spoken: English, Russian
Departments: Internal Medicine - Research Assistant Professor
Academic Office Information
- Natural Language Processing
Dr. Patterson's research is focused on computational analysis of clinical narrative documents using natural language processing and machine learning for the purposes of cohort selection, phenotype extraction, outcomes prediction, and other health services research tasks. She has extensive experience working with a variety of clinical document types across a broad range of medical subdomains. She is an active co-investigator and collaborator on several research projects developing language processing software applications.
My primary research area is computational analysis of clinical text documents for the purposes of concept recognition, information extraction, information retrieval, and document classification. I have experience working with a number of various document types across clinical subdomains. I have developed a number of language processing systems to perform document clustering, document classification, word sense disambiguation, and clinical information extraction.
University of Utah
Utah State University
Business Information Systems
Utah State University
- Patterson OV, Ginter T, DuVall SL (). Building a common pipeline for rule-based document classification. Stud Health Technol Inform, 192(MedInfo 2013), 1211.
- Maguen S, Holder N, Madden E, Li Y, Seal KH, Neylan TC, Lujan C, Patterson OV, DuVall SL, Shiner B (2019). Evidence-based psychotherapy trends among posttraumatic stress disorder patients in a national healthcare system, 2001-2014. Depress Anxiety, 37(4), 356-364.
- Holder N, Shiner B, Li Y, Madden E, Neylan TC, Seal KH, Lujan C, Patterson OV, DuVall SL, Maguen S (2019). Timing of evidence-based psychotherapy for posttraumatic stress disorder initiation among Iraq and Afghanistan war veterans in the Veterans Health Administration. Psychol Trauma, 12(3), 260-271.
- Koola JD, Chen G, Malin BA, Fabbri D, Siew ED, Ho SB, Patterson OV, Matheny ME (2019). A clinical risk prediction model to identify patients with hepatorenal syndrome at hospital admission. Int J Clin Pract, 73(11), e13393.
- Wang SV, Patterson OV, Gagne JJ, Brown JS, Ball R, Jonsson P, Wright A, Zhou L, Goettsch W, Bate A (2019). Transparent Reporting on Research Using Unstructured Electronic Health Record Data to Generate 'Real World' Evidence of Comparative Effectiveness and Safety. Drug Saf, 42(11), 1297-1309.
- Mohanty AF, Levitan EB, Dodson JA, Vardeny O, King JB, LaFleur J, He T, Patterson OV, Alba PR, Russo PA, Choi ME, Bress AP (2019). Characteristics and Healthcare Utilization Among Veterans Treated for Heart Failure With Reduced Ejection Fraction Who Switched to Sacubitril/Valsartan. Circ Heart Fail, 12(11), e005691.
- Bustamante R, Earles A, Murphy JD, Bryant AK, Patterson OV, Gawron AJ, Kaltenbach T, Whooley MA, Fisher DA, Saini SD, Gupta S, Liu L (2019). Ascertainment of Aspirin Exposure Using Structured and Unstructured Large-scale Electronic Health Record Data. Med Care, 57(10), e60-e64.
- Alba PR, Patterson OV, Richman JS, DuVall SL (2019). Automatic Methods to Extract Prescription Status Quality Measures from Unstructured Health Records. Stud Health Technol Inform, 264, 15-19.
- Owlia M, Dodson JA, King JB, Derington CG, Herrick JS, Sedlis SP, Crook J, DuVall SL, LaFleur J, Nelson R, Patterson OV, Shah RU, Bress AP (2019). Angina Severity, Mortality, and Healthcare Utilization Among Veterans With Stable Angina. J Am Heart Assoc, 8(15), e012811.
- Klarin D, Lynch J, Aragam K, Chaffin M, Assimes TL, Huang J, Lee KM, Shao Q, Huffman JE, Natarajan P, Arya S, Small A, Sun YV, Vujkovic M, Freiberg MS, Wang L, Chen J, Saleheen D, Lee JS, Miller DR, Reaven P, Alba PR, Patterson OV, DuVall SL, Boden WE, Beckman JA, Gaziano JM, Concato J, Rader DJ, Cho K, Chang KM, Wilson PWF, ODonnell CJ, Kathiresan S, VA Million Veteran Program, Tsao PS, Damrauer SM (2019). Genome-wide association study of peripheral artery disease in the Million Veteran Program. Nat Med, 25(8), 1274-1279.
- Wilcox MA, Coppola D, Bailey N, Wilson A, Kamauu AWC, Alba PR, Patterson OV, Viernes B, Denhalter DW, Solomon ID, DuVall SL (2019). Risperdal® CONSTA® Needle Detachment. Incidence Rates Before and After Kit Redesign: A Retrospective Study using Electronic Health Records and Natural Language Processing in the Department of Veterans Affairs. Neurol Ther, 8(1), 95-108.
- Gupta Samir Martinez, Maria Elena, Gawron Andrew J, Kaltenbach Tonya R, Bustamante Ranier, Earles Ashley, Demb Joshua, Messer Karen, Patterson Olga, Liu Lin (2019). Variation in adenoma detection rate and risk for incident and fatal colorectal cancer after baseline colonoscopy with and without polypectomy. Gastroenterology, 156(6), S-54.
- Maguen S, Li Y, Madden E, Seal KH, Neylan TC, Patterson OV, DuVall SL, Lujan C, Shiner B (2019). Factors associated with completing evidence-based psychotherapy for PTSD among veterans in a national healthcare system. Psychiatry Res, 274, 112-128.
- Conway M, Mowery DL, South BR, Stoddard GJ, Chapman WW, Patterson OV, Zhu SH (2018). Documentation of ENDS Use in the Veterans Affairs Electronic Health Record (2008-2014). Am J Prev Med, 56(3), 474-475.
- Chapman AB, Peterson KS, Alba PR, DuVall SL, Patterson OV (2019). Detecting Adverse Drug Events with Rapidly Trained Classification Models. Drug Saf, 42(1), 147-156.
- Stevens VW, Stenehjem DD, Patterson OV, Kamauu AWC, Yim YM, Morlock RJ, DuVall SL (2018). Characterization and survival of patients with metastatic basal cell carcinoma in the Department of Veterans Affairs: a retrospective electronic health record review. Arch Dermatol Res, 310(6), 505-513.
- Maguen S, Madden E, Patterson OV, DuVall SL, Goldstein LA, Burkman K, Shiner B (2018). Measuring Use of Evidence Based Psychotherapy for Posttraumatic Stress Disorder in a Large National Healthcare System. Adm Policy Ment Health, 45(4), 519-529.
- Jones MM, Winthrop KL, Nelson SD, Duvall SL, Patterson OV, Nechodom KE, Findley KE, Radonovich LJ Jr, Samore MH, Fennelly KP (2018). Epidemiology of nontuberculous mycobacterial infections in the U.S. Veterans Health Administration. PLoS One, 13(6), e0197976.
- Johnson SB, Adekkanattu P, Campion TR Jr, Flory J, Pathak J, Patterson OV, DuVall SL, Major V, Aphinyanaphongs Y (2018). From Sour Grapes to Low-Hanging Fruit: A Case Study Demonstrating a Practical Strategy for Natural Language Processing Portability. AMIA Jt Summits Transl Sci Proc, 2017, 104-112.
- Gawron AJ, Yao Y, Thompson W, Patterson OV, Cole GG, Gupta S, Scuba W, Divita G, Dominitz JA, Whooley MA, Shergill AK, Kahi CJ, Kaltenbach TR (2018). A National Us Healthcare System Web-Based Colonoscopy Quality Report Card: Accurate, Usable, And Robust. Gastrointest Endosc, 87(6), AB114-AB115.
- Gupta S, Liu L, Patterson OV, Earles A, Bustamante R, Gawron AJ, Thompson WK, Scuba W, Denhalter D, Martinez ME, Messer K, Fisher DA, Saini SD, DuVall SL, Chapman WW, Whooley MA, Kaltenbach T (2018). A Framework for Leveraging "Big Data" to Advance Epidemiology and Improve Quality: Design of the VA Colonoscopy Collaborative. EGEMS (Wash DC), 6(1), 4.
- Brittain EL, Duncan MS, Chang J, Patterson OV, DuVall SL, Brandt CA, So-Armah KA, Goetz M, Akgun K, Crothers K, Zola C, Kim J, Gibert C, Pisani M, Morris A, Hsue P, Tindle HA, Justice A, Freiberg M (2017). Increased Echocardiographic Pulmonary Pressure in HIV-infected and -uninfected Individuals in the Veterans Aging Cohort Study. Am J Respir Crit Care Med, 197(7), 923-932.
- Patterson OV, Jones M, Yao Y, Viernes B, Alba PR, Iwashyna TJ, DuVall SL (2015). Extraction of Vital Signs from Clinical Notes. Stud Health Technol Inform, 216, 1035.