Roger Altizer, PhD
Languages spoken: English
Departments: Population Health Sciences - Associate Professor
Academic Office Information
295 Chipeta Way, Room: Room 1N410
Salt Lake City, UT 84108
- Serious Games
- Games for Health
- Participatory Design
- Qualitative Methods
- Digital Medicine
- Healthcare Innovation
- Media Law
- Intellectual Property
Roger Altizer, Jr. is the co-founder of the Entertainment Arts and Engineering, the top ranked game design program in the nation, the Director of Digital Medicine for the Center for Medical Innovation, the founding Director of The GApp lab (Therapeutic Games and Apps) and former director of the Center for Interdisciplinary Art and Technology at the University of Utah. Roger earned his Ph.D. in Communication at Utah and specializes in serious and medical games as well as game design and development. His heart and his research focuses on the importance of play and how good design encourages it. Creator of The Design Box, a participatory, inductive design methodology, Roger strives to include users as designers in his work. A former games journalist, he is an internationally recognized speaker who has presented at industry conferences such as the Games Developer Conference and Penny Arcade Expo, and academic conferences including the Digital Games Research Association and Foundations of Digital Games.
University of Utah
University of Utah
Religion & Philosophy
- Linder LA, Newman A, Bernier Carney KM, Wawrzynski S, Stegenga K, Chiu YS, Jung SH, Iacob E, Lewis M, Linder C, Fox K, Altizer R (2022). Symptoms and daily experiences reported by children with cancer using a game-based app. J Pediatr Nurs, 65, 33-43.
- Gibson B, Simonsen S, Jensen JD, Yingling L, Schaefer J, Sundaresh V, Zhang Y, Altizer R (2022). Mobile Virtual Reality Versus Mobile 360° Video to Promote Enrollment in the Diabetes Prevention Program Among Hispanic Adults: Pilot Study. JMIR Diabetes, 7(1), e26013.
- Wallace AS, Wang CY, Flake N, Bristol AA, Altizer R (2022). Feasibility and usefulness of the going home toolkit, an mhealth app, during hospital discharge: patient and clinician perspectives. Inform Health Soc Care, 1-12.
- Gibson, B, Simonsen, S, Barton, J, Zhang, Y, Altizer, R, Lundberg K, Wetter, DW (2021). Motivation and Problem Solving Versus Mobile 360° Videos to Promote Enrollment in the National Diabetes Prevention Program's Lifestyle Change Program Among People With Prediabetes: Protocol for a Randomized Trial. JMIR Res Protoc, 10(6), e28884.
- Davis, M, Raines J Benson, C, McDonald, C, Altizer, R (2021). Toward a frameworkfor developing virtual reality skills training in human services. J Technol Hum Serv, 39(3), 1-19.
- Linder, LA, Newman, AR, Stegenga, K, Chiu, YS, Wawrzynski, SE, Kramer, H, Weir, C, Narus, S, Altizer, R (2020). Feasibility and acceptability of a game-based symptom-reporting app for children with cancer: perspectives of children and parents. Support Care Cancer, 29(1), 301-310.
- Morimoto, SS, Altizer, R, Gunning, FM, Hu, W, Liu, J, Cote, SE, Nitis, J, Alexopoulos, GS (2020). Targeting Cognitive Control Deficits With Neuroplasticity-Based Computerized Cognitive Remediation in Patients With Geriatric Major Depression: A Randomized, Double-Blind, Controlled Trial. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry, 28(9), 971-980.
- Gibson, B, Godin, S, Sundaresh, V, Schaeffer, J, Bayles, G, Altizer, R (2020). Virtual Reality to Change Risk Perceptions and Promote Enrollment in the Diabetes Prevention Program Amongst High Risk Adults. ANNALS OF BEHAVIORAL MEDICINE, OXFORD UNIV PRESS, 54, S565-S565.
- Handman E, Altizer R, Wright C, Bayles G (2020). Choreografish: An Arts-based, Virtual Realisty, Anxiety Intervention for Autism. Groundworks, Ongoing.
- Terrill, AL, MacKenzie, JJ, Reblin, M, Einerson, J, Ferraro, J, Altizer, R (2019). A Collaboration Between Game Developers and Rehabilitation Researchers to Develop a Web-Based App for Persons With Physical Disabilities: Case Study. JMIR Rehabil Assist Technol, 6(2), e13511.
- Linder, L A, amp Altizer, R (2018). Engaging children and healthcare providers in the co-design of a mobile technology-based symptom assessment app. Association of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Nurses Annual Conference, Savannah, GA: Association of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Nurses.
- Rothwell, E, Johnson, E, Wong, B, Rose, NC, Latendresse, G, Altizer, R, Zagal, J, Smid, M, Watson, A and Botkin, JR (2018). The Use of a Game-Based Decision Aid to Educate Pregnant Women about Prenatal Screening: A Randomized Controlled Study. Am J Perinatol.
- Christensen, C, Redd, D, Lake, E, Shipman, JP, Aiono, H, Altizer, R, Bray, BE, Zeng, QT (2018). Doodle Health: A Crowdsourcing Game for the Co-design and Testing of Pictographs to Reduce Disparities in Healthcare Communication. AMIA Annu Symp Proc, 2017, 585-594.
- Trapp, SK, Altizer, R, Merryweather, A, Lee, V, Campbell, C, Rivera-Melo, B, Liu, A, Imburgia, R, Waller, L, amp Rosenbluth, J (2018). Tilt Tracker: Technical Note on an mHealth System to Monitor and Prevent Ulcer Development among Power Wheelchair Users. Technol Innov.
- Terrill, A, MacKenzie, J, Reblin, M, Einerson, J, Ferraro, J, Altizer, R (01/01/2018). Helping Couples With Spinal Cord Injury Get Their Groove Back: Interdisciplinary Online Intervention Development. Arch Phys Med Rehabil, 99(10), e61.
- Altizer, R, Zagal, J, Johnson, E, Wong, B, Anderson, R, Botkin, J, Rothwell, E (2017). Design Box Case Study: Facilitating Interdisciplinary Collaboration and Participatory Design in Game Development. CHI Play, Amsterdam, Netherlands: ACM.
- Christensen, C, Redd, D, Lake, E, Shipman, JP, Aiono, H, Altizer, R, Bray, BE, Zeng, QT (2017). Doodle Health: A Crowdsourcing Game for the Co-design and Testing of Pictographs to Reduce Disparities in Healthcare Communication. American Medical Informatics Association Symposium, American Medical Informatics Association, 2017, 585.
- Avatars AssembledThe Social and Technical Anatomy of Digital Bodies (2017). Pixels and Polygons: The Stuff of Light Beings. In J. Banks (Ed.), Avatars AssembledThe Social and Technical Anatomy of Digital Bodies. New York: Peter Lang.
- Butcher, K, Runburg, M, and Altizer, R (2017). Dino Lab: Designing and Developing an Educational Game for Critical Thinking. In R. Zheng and M. Gardner (Eds.), Handbook of Research on Serious Games for Educational Applications (pp. 115-148). Hershey: IGI.
- Altizer, R (2017). King of All Cosmos. In J. Banks, R. Mejia (Eds.), 100 Greatest Video Game Characters. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield.
- Shipman, JP, Altizer, R, Zagal, JP (2017). Interview with Roger Altizer, Ph.D. and José Zagal, Ph.D. In J.P. Shipman & B. Ulmer (Eds.), Information and Innovation: A Natural Combination for Health Sciences Libraries (pp. 13-22). Lanham, MD: Rowman and Littlefield.
- Campbell, C, Mleynek, T, Steele, B, Kulina, M, Smith J, Ferraro, J, Teramoto, M, Lee V, Alizer, R, Rosenbluth, J (2017). Novel assistive device as a training tool for spinal cord sailing simulator [Abstract]. The Journal of Spinal Cord Medicine, 40(5), 579-604.
- Altizer, R (2017). Applying Innovation to Patient Education and Behavior. In J.P. Shipman & B. Ulmer (Eds.), Information and Innovation: A Natural Combination for Health Sciences Libraries (pp. 13-22). Lanham, MD: Rowman and Littlefield.
- Zagal, JP, Altizer, R (2015). Placeholder Content in Game Development: Benefits and Challenges. ChiPlay '15 - Computer-Human Interaction in Play 2015, ACM, 2015, 745-750.
- Bills, P, Zagal, J, Shipman, J, Moody, S, Larson, E, Bhavsar, S, Jarvis, C, Casucci, T, Rethlefsen, M, Lombardo, N, Altizer, R (2015). Saved Games: Librarians Levelling Up With Games For Health. Medical Library Association Annual Meeting and Exhibition.
- Casucci, T, Shipman, JP, Langell, JT, Altizer, R, Lombardo, NT, Jarvis, C, Le Ber, JM, Wimmer, E, McIntyre, M (10/2014). Converging Spaces with Innovation Initiatives Leads to Beneficial Collaboration. QuintEssential Meeting, Denver.
- Altizer, R, Zagal, JP (2014). Designing Inside the Box or Pitching Practices in Industry and Education [oral presentation also given]. Digital Games Research Association Conference (DiGRA), Snowbird, UT.
- Altizer, R, Zagal, JP (2014). Pitch Perfect or Exploring Pitching Practices in Industry and Games Education [oral presentation also given]. Foundations of Digital Games Conference, Fort Lauderdale, FL.
- Zagal, JP, Altizer, R (2014). Examining ‘RPG Elements’: Systems of Character Progression [oral presentation also given]. Foundations of Digital Games Conference, Fort Lauderdale, FL.
- Zagal, JP, Altizer, R, Zeng-Treitler, Q, Shipman, J, Lake, E, Aiono, H, Malheiro, M, Christensen, C (2014). Doodle Health: Games as Cultural Probes [oral presentation also given]. 13th International Conference on Entertainment Computing, 11-2.
- Casucci, T, Shipman, JP, Altizer, R (2014). Surgeons, Librarians and Gamers, Oh My! DiGRA, eSynapse, 29(3).
- Caldwell, C, Bruggers, C, Altizer, R, Bulaj, G, DAmbrosio, T, Kessler, R, Christiansen, B (2013). The Intersection of Video Games and Patient Empowerment: Case Study of a Real World Application [oral presentation also given]. IE Conference 2013.
- Bruggers, CS, Altizer, R, Kessler, RR, Caldwell, CB, Coppersmith, K, Warner, L, Davies, B, Paterson, W, Wilcken, J, DAmbrosio, TA, German, ML, Hanson, GR, Gershan, LA, Korenberg, JR, Bulaj, G (2012). Patient-empowerment interactive technologies. Sci Transl Med, 4(152), 152ps16.
- Caldwell, C, Kessler, R, Altizer, R, Van Langeveld, M (2012). When the games industry and academia collide: How we impact each other. 2012 IEEE International Games Innovation Conference, Rochester, NY, 39-43.
- Caldwell, C, Kessler, R, Altizer, R, Van Langeveld, M (2012). When the games industry and academia collide: How we impact each other [oral presentation also given]. Games Innovation Conference (IGIC), 2012 IEEE International, 1,4, 7-9.
- Bulaj G, Bruggers CS, Altizer RA, Kessler R, Caldwell C, Patterson WR, Coppersmith KJ, Warner LM, Davies B (2012). Empowering Patients During Disease Therapy Using An Interactive Video Game That Links Exercise and Positive Visualization. U.S. Patent No. US20130131846 A1. Washington, D.C.:U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- Kessler, R, van Langeveld, M, Altizer, R (2009). Entertainment Arts and Engineering or How to Fast Track A New Interdisciplinary Program; paper also presented at the SIGSCE 2009 – Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education, Chattanooga, TN. SIGCSE '09 Proceedings of the 40th ACM Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education, New York, NY, 539-43.
- Kessler, R, van Langeveld, M, Altizer, R (2009). Entertainment Arts and Engineering or How to Fast Track A New Interdisciplinary Program. Newsletter: ACM SIGCSE Bulletin - SIGCSE '09 (41(1), pp. 539-43). New York, NY.
- Rausch, A, Altizer, R, Parry A (2000). Gaikokugo Communication in an Intensive Course Format – Case Study Report and Recommendations. Crossroads (De Kalb), 41-61.