Joel D. Trinity, PhD
Languages spoken: English
Departments: Internal Medicine - Associate Professor, Nutrition and Integrative Physiology - Adjunct Associate Professor
Academic Office Information
- Cardiovascular Physiology
- Exercise and Aging
- Blood Flow
- Nitric Oxide
- Endothelium, Vascular
Dr. Trinity is an Associate Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine and Adjunct Assistant Professor in the Department of Nutrition and Integrative Physiology. Dr. Trinity joined the UVRL in 2009 after completing his doctoral training at The University of Texas at Austin. Utilizing an integrative approach that combines in-vivo and in-vitro techniques Dr. Trinity's research examines the on the impact of age and disease, specifically hypertension, on vascular function and blood flow regulation.
George E Whalen VA Medical Center
University of Utah
The University of Texas at Austin
The University of Texas at Austin
The University of California Santa Cruz
- Broxterman RM, La Salle DT, Zhao J, Reese VR, Kwon OS, Richardson RS, Trinity JD (2022). Dietary nitrate supplementation and small muscle mass exercise hemodynamics in patients with essential hypertension. J Appl Physiol (1985), 133(2), 506-516.
- Trinity JD, Drummond MJ, Fermoyle C, McKenzie AI, Supiano MA, Richardson RS (2022). Reply to Horn et al. [Letter to the editor]. J Appl Physiol (1985), 133(2), 322.
- Fermoyle CC, Broxterman RM, La Salle DT, Ratchford SM, Hopkins PN, Richardson RS, Trinity JD (2023). Persistent vascular dysfunction following an acute nonpharmacological reduction in blood pressure in hypertensive patients. J Hypertens, 40(6), 1115-1125.
- Cho JM, Park SK, Kwon OS, La Salle DT, Cerbie J, Fermoyle CC, Morgan D, Nelson A, Bledsoe A, Bharath LP, Tandar M, Kunapuli SP, Richardson RS, Anandh Babu PV, Mookherjee S, Kishore BK, Wang F, Yang T, Boudina S, Trinity JD, Symons JD (2022). Activating P2Y1 receptors improves function in arteries with repressed autophagy. Cardiovasc Res.
- McKenzie AI, Mahmassani ZS, Petrocelli JJ, de Hart NMMP, Fix DK, Ferrara PJ, LaStayo PC, Marcus RL, Rondina MT, Summers SA, Johnson JM, Trinity JD, Funai K, Drummond MJ (2022). Acute exposure to a clinical dose of metformin increases skeletal muscle mitochondrial H2O2 emission and production in healthy, older adults: A randomized controlled trial. Exp Gerontol, 163, 111804.
- Trinity JD, Drummond MJ, Fermoyle CC, McKenzie AI, Supiano MA, Richardson RS (2022). Cardiovasomobility: An Integrative Understanding of how Disuse Impacts Cardiovascular and Skeletal Muscle Health. [Review]. J Appl Physiol (1985), 132(3), 835-861.
- Lewis MT, Blain GM, Hart CR, Layec G, Rossman MJ, Park SY, Trinity JD, Gifford JR, Sidhu SK, Weavil JC, Hureau TJ, Jessop JE, Bledsoe AD, Amann M, Richardson RS (2021). Acute high-intensity exercise and skeletal muscle mitochondrial respiratory function: role of metabolic perturbation. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol, 321(5), R687-R698.
- Trinity JD, Craig JC, Fermoyle CC, McKenzie AI, Lewis MT, Park SH, Rondina MT, Richardson RS (2021). Impact of presymptomatic COVID-19 on vascular and skeletal muscle function: a case study. J Appl Physiol (1985), 130(6), 1961-1970.
- Craig JC, Broxterman RM, Cerbie JF, La Salle DT, Roundy CS, Jarrett CL, Richardson RS, Trinity JD (2021). The dynamic adjustment of mean arterial pressure during exercise: a potential tool for discerning cardiovascular health status. J Appl Physiol (1985), 130(5), 1544-1554.
- Venturelli M, Amann M, Trinity JD, Ives SJ, Richardson RS (2020). Spinal cord injury and vascular function: evidence from diameter-matched vessels. J Appl Physiol (1985), 130(3), 562-570.
- Trinity JD, Kwon OS, Broxterman RM, Gifford JR, Kithas AC, Hydren JR, Jarrett CL, Shields KL, Bisconti AV, Park SH, Craig JC, Nelson AD, Morgan DE, Jessop JE, Bledsoe AD, Richardson RS (2020). The role of the endothelium in the hyperemic response to passive leg movement: looking beyond nitric oxide. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol, 320(2), H668-H678.
- Ratchford SM, Clifton HL, La Salle DT, Broxterman RM, Lee JF, Ryan JJ, Hopkins PN, Wright JB, Trinity JD, Richardson RS, Wray DW (2020). Cardiovascular responses to rhythmic handgrip exercise in heart failure with preserved ejection fraction. J Appl Physiol (1985), 129(6), 1267-1276.
- Berg OK, Kwon OS, Hureau TJ, Clifton HL, Thurston TS, Le Fur Y, Jeong EK, Trinity JD, Richardson RS, Wang E, Layec G (2019). Skeletal Muscle Mitochondrial Adaptations to Maximal Strength Training in Older Adults. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci, 75(12), 2269-2277.
- Kithas AC, Broxterman RM, Trinity JD, Gifford JR, Kwon OS, Hydren JR, Nelson AD, Jessop JE, Bledsoe AD, Morgan DE, Richardson RS (2020). Nitric oxide synthase inhibition with N(G)-monomethyl-l-arginine: Determining the window of effect in the human vasculature. Nitric Oxide, 104-105, 51-60.
- Ely MR, Ratchford SM, La Salle DT, Trinity JD, Wray DW, Halliwill JR (2020). Effect of histamine-receptor antagonism on leg blood flow during exercise. J Appl Physiol (1985), 128(6), 1626-1634.
- Ives SJ, Layec G, Hart CR, Trinity JD, Gifford JR, Garten RS, Witman MAH, Sorensen JR, Richardson RS (2020). Passive leg movement in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: evidence of locomotor muscle vascular dysfunction. J Appl Physiol (1985), 128(5), 1402-1411.
- Limberg JK, Casey DP, Trinity JD, Nicholson WT, Wray DW, Tschakovsky ME, Green DJ, Hellsten Y, Fadel PJ, Joyner MJ, Padilla J (2019). Assessment of resistance vessel function in human skeletal muscle: guidelines for experimental design, Doppler ultrasound, and pharmacology. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol, 318(2), H301-H325.
- Craig JC, Broxterman RM, La Salle DT, Cerbie J, Ratchford SM, Gifford JR, Bunsawat K, Nelson AD, Bledsoe AD, Morgan DE, Wray DW, Richardson RS, Trinity JD (2019). The role of endothelin A receptors in peripheral vascular control at rest and during exercise in patients with hypertension. J Physiol, 598(1), 71-84.
- Ratchford SM, Broxterman RM, La Salle DT, Kwon OS, Park SY, Hopkins PN, Richardson RS, Trinity JD (2019). Salt restriction lowers blood pressure at rest and during exercise without altering peripheral hemodynamics in hypertensive individuals. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol, 317(6), H1194-H1202.
- Broxterman RM, La Salle DT, Zhao J, Reese VR, Richardson RS, Trinity JD (2019). Influence of dietary inorganic nitrate on blood pressure and vascular function in hypertension: prospective implications for adjunctive treatment. J Appl Physiol (1985), 127(4), 1085-1094.
- Broxterman RM, Witman MA, Trinity JD, Groot HJ, Rossman MJ, Park SY, Malenfant S, Gifford JR, Kwon OS, Park SH, Jarrett CL, Shields KL, Hydren JR, Bisconti AV, Owan T, Abraham A, Tandar A, Lui CY, Smith BR, Richardson RS (2019). Strong Relationship Between Vascular Function in the Coronary and Brachial Arteries. Hypertension, 74(1), 208-215.
- Hydren JR, Broxterman RM, Trinity JD, Gifford JR, Kwon OS, Kithas AC, Richardson RS (2019). Delineating the age-related attenuation of vascular function: Evidence supporting the efficacy of the single passive leg movement as a screening tool. J Appl Physiol (1985), 126(6), 1525-1532.