Lisa A. Lesniewski, MA, PhD
Languages spoken: English
Departments: Internal Medicine - Professor
Academic Office Information
(801) 582-1565 Ext.2046
500 Foothill Dr, Room: 1C06
Salt Lake CIty, UT 84148
Dr. Lesniewski is an Associate Professor in the Division of Geriatrics and is an Adjunct Associate Professor with the Department of Nutrition and Integrative Physiology. She is a GRECC investigator and the Co-Principal Investigator of the Translational Vascular Physiology Lab.
Dr. Lesniewski's primary research interests are to understand how aging modulates the susceptibility of the vascular and metabolic systems to high fat feeding/obesity and to understand how aging modifies atherosclerotic burden and severity. Within these general research areas, Dr. Lesniewski examines the role that adipose inflammation plays in inducing systemic metabolic and vascular dysfunction with aging and high fat feeding, as well as the role of adipose tissue a in this systemic dysfunction. To examine these interests, Dr. Lesniewski utilizes dietary and genetic manipulation of rodent models to examine whole body and in vitro metabolic and vascular function. In addition, Dr. Lesniewski utilizes genetic and surgical models of atherosclerosis to elucidate novel pathways that modulate atheroslcerotic burden and severity across the lifespan.
University of Colorado-Boulder
University of California-San Diego
Texas A&M University
Kent State University
Ohio State University
- Gogulamudi VR, Islam MT, Durrant JR, Adeyemo AO, Trott DW, Hyuhn MH, Zhu W, Donato AJ, Walker AE, Lesniewski LA (2023). Heterozygosity for ADP-ribosylation factor 6 suppresses the burden and severity of atherosclerosis. PLoS One, 18(5), e0285253.
- Gogulamudi VR, Durrant JR, Adeyemo AO, Ho HM, Walker AE, Lesniewski LA (2023). Advancing age increases the size and severity of spontaneous atheromas in mouse models of atherosclerosis. Geroscience.
- Machin DR, Trott DW, Gogulamudi VR, Islam MT, Bloom SI, Vink H, Lesniewski LA, Donato AJ (2023). Glycocalyx-targeted therapy ameliorates age-related arterial dysfunction. Geroscience.
- Islam MT, Tuday E, Allen S, Kim J, Trott DW, Holland WL, Donato AJ, Lesniewski LA (2023). Senolytic drugs, dasatinib and quercetin, attenuate adipose tissue inflammation, and ameliorate metabolic function in old age. Aging Cell, 22(2), e13767.
- Bloom SI, Tucker JR, Lim J, Thomas TG, Stoddard GJ, Lesniewski LA, Donato AJ (2022). Aging results in DNA damage and telomere dysfunction that is greater in endothelial versus vascular smooth muscle cells and is exacerbated in atheroprone regions. Geroscience.
- Bloom SI, Islam MT, Lesniewski LA, Donato AJ (2022). Mechanisms and consequences of endothelial cell senescence. [Review]. Nat Rev Cardiol.
- Gogulamudi VR, Machin DR, Henson GD, Lim J, Bramwell RC, Durrant JR, Donato AJ, Lesniewski LA (2022). Sirt1 overexpression attenuates Western-style diet-induced aortic stiffening in mice. Physiol Rep, 10(9), e15284.
- Trott DW, Machin DR, Phuong TT, Adeyemo AO, Bloom SI, Bramwell RC, Sorensen ES, Lesniewski LA, Donato AJ (2021). T cells mediate cell non-autonomous arterial aging in mice. J Physiol, 599, 3973-3991.
- Trott DW, Islam MT, Buckley DJ, Donato AJ, Dutson T, Sorensen ES, Cai J, Gogulamudi VR, Phuong TTT, Lesniewski LA (2021). T lymphocyte depletion ameliorates age-related metabolic impairments in mice. Geroscience, 43(3), 1331-1347.
- Islam MT, Holland WL, Lesniewski LA (2021). Multicolor fluorescence biosensors reveal a burning need for diversity in the single-cell metabolic landscape. Trends Endocrinol Metab, 32, 537-539.
- Islam MT, Hall SA, Lesniewski LA (2021). Chronic aerobic exercise: targeting two birds with one stone. J Physiol, 599(4), 1015-1016.
- Islam MT, Henson GD, Machin DR, Bramwell RC, Donato AJ, Lesniewski LA (2020). Aging differentially impacts vasodilation and angiogenesis in arteries from the white and brown adipose tissues. Exp Gerontol, 142, 111126.
- Machin DR, Auduong Y, Gogulamudi VR, Liu Y, Islam MT, Lesniewski LA, Donato AJ (2020). Lifelong SIRT-1 overexpression attenuates large artery stiffening with advancing age. Aging (Albany NY), 12(12), 11314-11324.
- Zhang Y, Ecelbarger CM, Lesniewski LA, Mller CE, Kishore BK (2020). P2Y2 Receptor Promotes High-Fat Diet-Induced Obesity. Front Endocrinol (Lausanne), 11, 341.
- Phuong TTT, Walker AE, Henson GD, Machin DR, Li DY, Donato AJ, Lesniewski LA (2019). Deletion of Robo4 prevents high-fat diet-induced adipose artery and systemic metabolic dysfunction. Microcirculation, 26(5), e12540.
- Lesniewski LA, Wenceslau C, Zucker I (2019). Vasoconstriction in White and Brown Adipose [Podcast]. Available: https://ajpheart.podbean.com/e/vasoconstriction-in-white-and-brown-adipose/.
- Walker AE, Kronquist EK, Chinen KT, Reihl KD, Li DY, Lesniewski LA, Donato AJ (2019). Cerebral and skeletal muscle feed artery vasoconstrictor responses in a mouse model with greater large elastic artery stiffness. Exp Physiol, 104(3), 434-442.
- Hazra S, Henson GD, Bramwell RC, Donato AJ, Lesniewski LA (2019). Impact of high-fat diet on vasoconstrictor reactivity of white and brown adipose tissue resistance arteries. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol, 316(3), H485-H494.
- Walker AE, Breevoort SR, Durrant JR, Liu Y, Machin DR, Dobson PS, Nielson EI, Meza AJ, Islam MT, Donato AJ, Lesniewski LA (2019). The pro-atherogenic response to disturbed blood flow is increased by a western diet, but not by old age. Sci Rep, 9(1), 2925.
- Morgan RG, Walker AE, Trott DW, Machin DR, Henson GD, Reihl KD, Cawthon RM, Denchi EL, Liu Y, Bloom SI, Phuong TT, Richardson RS, Lesniewski LA, Donato AJ (2019). Induced Trf2 deletion leads to aging vascular phenotype in mice associated with arterial telomere uncapping, senescence signaling, and oxidative stress. J Mol Cell Cardiol, 127, 74-82.
- (2007). Diabetes Treatment Methods and Drug Targets Therefor. U.S. Patent No. US20070190035A1. Washington, D.C.:U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.