Departments: Pediatrics - Associate Professor, Nursing - Adjunct Instructor, Population Health Sciences - Adjunct Associate Professor
Divisions: Health System Innovation and Research, Pediatric Hematology/Oncology
Academic Office Information
- Cancer Survivorship
- Childhood Cancer
- Late Effects
Anne C. Kirchhoff, PhD, MPH is a tenured Associate Professor of Pediatrics at the University of Utah School of Medicine and a Huntsman Cancer Institute Investigator in the Cancer Control and Population Sciences Research Program. As a health services researcher, her program primarily concerns evaluating patient outcomes related to healthcare access and cancer late effects, and developing interventions for childhood, adolescent and young adult cancer survivors, with a focus on addressing the social and financial consequences of cancer. Dr. Kirchhoff leads a range of studies from interventions at Huntsman Cancer Institute and Primary Children’s Hospital to statewide analyses of survivor outcomes using the Utah Population Database. Her research interests also include using large, population-based surveys to examine socioeconomic outcomes of cancer survivors. Dr. Kirchhoff has a strong history of funding as a Principal Investigator from both institutional grant support and external funding via the NIH and foundations, including an NCI R01 to develop and test insurance educational materials for adolescents and young adults with cancer. Since 2007, she has collaborated with and led several studies with the national Childhood Cancer Survivor Study (CCSS). Most recently, she is a Co-Investigator of an American Cancer Society grant to test an insurance navigation program with survivors recruited from this cohort.
Dr. Kirchhoff completed her doctoral degree in the Department of Health Services at the University of Washington School of Public Health, where she was funded by the National Cancer Institute’s R25 Education and Career Development Program. She also received her MPH in Health Education and Behavioral Science from the School of Public Health at Saint Louis University.
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
Biobehavioral Cancer Prevention and Control NCI R25 Training Program
University of Washington School of Public Health
Association of Schools of Public Health
Summer Internship Program Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Saint Louis University School of Public Health
Behavioral Science/Health Education
Anthropology and Psychology
- Liu X, Fluchel MN, Kirchhoff AC, Zhu H, Onega T (2023). Geographic Access to Pediatric Cancer Care in the US. JAMA Netw Open, 6(1), e2251524.
- Ou JY, Ramsay JM, Lee G, VanDerslice JA, Taddie M, Kirchhoff AC, Divver E, Akerley W, Kepka D, Hanson HA (2022). Patterns of indoor radon concentrations, radon-hazard potential, and radon testing on a small geographic scale in Utah. J Environ Radioact, 256, 107046.
- Nguyen OT, McCormick R, Patel K, Reblin M, Kim L, Hume E, Powers B, Otto A, Alishahi Tabriz A, Islam J, Hong YR, Kirchhoff AC, Turner K (2022). Health insurance literacy among head and neck cancer patients and their caregivers: A cross-sectional pilot study. Laryngoscope Investig Otolaryngol, 7(6), 1820-1829.
- Kaddas HK, Ramsay JM, Ou JY, Fair D, Kepka D, Kirchhoff AC (2022). HPV Vaccination Initiation and Completion Among Pediatric, Adolescent, and Young Adult Cancer Survivors and a Comparison Population Sample Receiving Primary Care. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol.
- Nathan PC, Huang IC, Chen Y, Henderson TO, Park ER, Kirchhoff AC, Robison LL, Krull K, Leisenring W, Armstrong GT, Conti RM, Yasui Y, Yabroff KR (2022). Financial Hardship in Adult Survivors of Childhood Cancer in the Era After Implementation of the Affordable Care Act: A Report From the Childhood Cancer Survivor Study. J Clin Oncol, JCO2200572.
- Millar MM, Edwards SL, Herget KA, Orleans B, Ofori-Atta BS, Kirchhoff AC, Carter ME, Nagata M, Sweeney C (2022). Adherence to Guideline-Recommended cancer screening among Utah cancer survivors. Cancer Med.
- Mann K, Waters AR, Park ER, Perez GK, Vaca Lopez PL, Kaddas HK, Warner EL, Ray N, Tsukamoto T, Allen K, Haaland B, Fair DB, Lewis MA, Kirchhoff AC (2022). HIAYA CHAT study protocol: a randomized controlled trial of a health insurance education intervention for newly diagnosed adolescent and young adult cancer patients. Trials, 23(1), 682.
- Himbert C, Hathaway CA, Daniels B, Salas K, Ashworth A, Gigic B, Lin T, Viskochil R, Kirchhoff AC, Grossman D, Ose J, Tward J, Scaife C, Figueiredo JC, Toriola AT, Beck A, Shibata D, Gonzalez BD, Matsen C, Christenson C, Ma DS, Colman H, Hunt JP, Jones KB, Lee CJ, Larson M, Onega T, Akerley WL, Li CI, Schneider M, Penedo FJ, Siegel EM, Tworoger SS, Ulrich CM, Peoples AR (2022). Factors associated with changes in exercise behaviors during the COVID-19 pandemic. Cancer Causes Control, 33(7), 939-950.
- Waters AR, Bybee S, Warner EL, Kaddas HK, Kent EE, Kirchhoff AC (2022). Financial Burden and Mental Health Among LGBTQIA+ Adolescent and Young Adult Cancer Survivors During the COVID-19 Pandemic. Front Oncol, 12, 832635.
- Ou JY, Waters AR, Kaddas HK, Warner EL, Lopez PLV, Mann K, Anderson JS, Ray N, Tsukamoto T, Gill D, Linder L, Fair D, Kirchhoff AC (2022). Financial burdens during the COVID-19 pandemic are related to disrupted healthcare utilization among survivors of adolescent and young adult cancers. J Cancer Surviv.
- Warner EL, Millar MM, Orleans B, Edwards SL, Carter ME, Vaca Lopez PL, Sweeney C, Kirchhoff AC (2022). Cancer survivors' financial hardship and their caregivers' employment: results from a statewide survey. J Cancer Surviv.
- Abraho R, Alvarez EM, Waters AR, Romero CC, Gosdin MM, Naz H, Pollock BH, Kirchhoff AC, Keegan THM (2021). A qualitative study of barriers and facilitators to adolescents and young adults' participation in cancer clinical trials: Oncologist and patient perspectives. Pediatr Blood Cancer, 69(4), e29479.
- Waters AR, Anderson JS, Mann K, Lopez PLV, Kepka D, Kirchhoff AC, Warner EL (2022). Drivers of COVID-19 Vaccine Intent Among Survivors of Adolescent and Young Adult Cancer: a Mixed Method Study. J Cancer Educ.
- Peoples AR, Oswald LB, Ose J, Daniels B, Himbert C, Hathaway CA, Gigic B, Kirchhoff AC, Lin T, Grossman D, Tward J, Varghese TK Jr, Figueiredo JC, Toriola AT, Beck A, Scaife C, Shibata D, LaStayo P, Gonzalez B, Salas K, Ashworth A, Matsen C, Christenson C, Ma DS, Colman H, Hunt JP, Jones KB, Lee CJ, Larson M, Onega T, Akerley WL, Li CI, Schneider M, Penedo FJ, Siegel EM, Tworoger SS, Ulrich CM (2022). Impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on rural and urban cancer patients' experiences, health behaviors, and perceptions. J Rural Health, 38, 886-899.
- Waters AR, Mann K, Warner EL, Vaca Lopez PL, Kaddas HK, Ray N, Tsukamoto T, Fair DB, Lewis MA, Perez GK, Park ER, Kirchhoff AC (2022). "I thought there would be more I understood": health insurance literacy among adolescent and young adult cancer survivors. Support Care Cancer, 30, 4457-4464.
- Ramsay JM, Kaddas HK, Ou JY, Kepka D, Kirchhoff AC (2022). Missed opportunities for concomitant HPV vaccination among childhood cancer survivors. Cancer Med, 11(4), 1181-1191.
- Brandt HM, Kepka D, Kirchhoff AC, Daniel CL, Bhatt NS (2021). Human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccination is cancer prevention for childhood cancer survivors. Cancer, 128(2), 237-239.
- Waters AR, Gren LH, Rogers CR, Kirchhoff AC, Warner EL (2021). Qualitative inquiry of cancer caregiving during young adulthood: responsibilities, challenges, teamwork, and social support. J Psychosoc Oncol Res Pract, 3(4).
- Waters AR, Warner EL, Vaca Lopez PL, Kirchhoff AC, Ou JY (2021). Perceptions and knowledge of air pollution and its health effects among caregivers of childhood cancer survivors: a qualitative study. BMC Cancer, 21(1), 1070.
- Waters AR, Zamora ER, Fluchel M, Warner EL, Rosen S, Gwilliam V, Tovar GE, Morales JP, Kirchhoff AC (2021). A qualitative inquiry of communication based barriers to the diagnosis of pediatric cancer: Perceptions of primarily Spanish-speaking caregivers. Patient Educ Couns, 105, 1503-1509.
- Himbert C, Hathaway CA, Daniels B, Salas K, Ashworth A, Gigic B, Lin T, Viskochil R, Kirchhoff AC, Grossman D, Ose J, Tward J, Scaife C, Figueiredo JC, Toriola AT, Beck A, Shibata D, Gonzalez BD, Matsen C, Christenson C, Ma DS, Colman H, Hunt JP, Jones KB, Lee CJ, Larson M, Onega T, Akerley WL, Li CI, Schneider M, Penedo FJ, Siegel EM, Tworoger SS, Ulrich CM, Peoples AR (2021). Impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on exercise habits among cancer patients. Res Sq.
- Fair D, Park ER, Nipp RD, Rabin J, Hyland K, Kuhlthau K, Perez GK, Nathan PC, Armstrong GT, Oeffinger KC, Robison LL, Leisenring W, Kirchhoff AC (2021). Material, behavioral, and psychological financial hardship among survivors of childhood cancer in the Childhood Cancer Survivor Study. Cancer, 127(17), 3214-3222.
- Warner EL, Wilson A, Ellington L, Sun Y, Cloyes KG, Waters AR, Nelson T, Kirchhoff AC (2021). Cancer content and social media platform influence young adult cancer caregivers' social support on social media. J Psychosoc Oncol, 1-8.
- Mooney K, Titchener K, Haaland B, Coombs LA, ONeil B, Nelson R, McPherson JP, Kirchhoff AC, Beck AC, Ward JH (2021). Evaluation of Oncology Hospital at Home: Unplanned Health Care Utilization and Costs in the Huntsman at Home Real-World Trial. J Clin Oncol, 39(23), 2586-2593.
- Kirchhoff A, Jones S (2021). Financial Toxicity in Adolescent and Young Adult Cancer Survivors: Proposed Directions for Future Research. J Natl Cancer Inst, 113(8), 948-950.
- Kerlavage AR, Kirchhoff AC, Guidry Auvil JM, Sharpless NE, Davis KL, Reilly K, Reaman G, Penberthy L, Deapen D, Hwang A, Durbin EB, Gallotto SL, Aplenc R, Volchenboum SL, Heath AP, Aronow BJ, Zhang J, Vaske O, Alonzo TA, Nathan PC, Poynter JN, Armstrong G, Hahn EE, Wernli KJ, Greene C, DiGiovanna J, Resnick AC, Shalley ER, Nadaf S, Kibbe WA (2021). Cancer Informatics for Cancer Centers: Scientific Drivers for Informatics, Data Science, and Care in Pediatric, Adolescent, and Young Adult Cancer. JCO Clin Cancer Inform (5, pp. 881-896). United States.
- Warner EL, Wilson AR, Rainbow JG, Ellington L, Kirchhoff AC (2021). Employment of Young Adult Cancer Caregivers, Other Disease Caregivers, and Non-Caregiving Adults. Int J Environ Res Public Health, 18(14).
- Waters AR, Kepka D, Ramsay JM, Mann K, Vaca Lopez PL, Anderson JS, Ou JY, Kaddas HK, Palmer A, Ray N, Tsukamoto T, Fair DB, Lewis MA, Kirchhoff AC, Warner EL (2021). COVID-19 Vaccine Hesitancy Among Adolescent and Young Adult Cancer Survivors. JNCI Cancer Spectr, 5(3), Pkab049.
- Warner EL, Waters AR, Cloyes KG, Ellington L, Kirchhoff AC (2020). Young adult cancer caregivers' exposure to cancer misinformation on social media. Cancer, 127(8), 1318-1324.
- Waters AR, Mann K, Vaca Lopez PL, Kepka D, Wu YP, Kirchhoff AC (2021). HPV Vaccine Experiences and Preferences Among Young Adult Cancer Survivors and Caregivers of Childhood Cancer Survivors. J Cancer Educ, 37, 1519-1524.
- Warner EL, Kirchhoff AC, Wilson A, Cloyes KG, Sun Y, Waters AR, Nelson T, Ellington L (2021). Social support enactments on social media during the first 6 months of young adult cancer caregiving. J Cancer Surviv, 16, 61-72.
- Mann K, Wu YP, Pannier ST, Hacking C, Warner EL, Rosen S, Acharya A, Wright J, Gerdy C, Kirchhoff AC (2020). Healthcare provider perspectives on pediatric cancer survivorship care plans: a single institution pilot study. Support Care Cancer, 29(2), 697-706.
- Hastert TA, Kirchhoff AC, Banegas MP, Morales JF, Nair M, Beebe-Dimmer JL, Pandolfi SS, Baird TE, Schwartz AG (2020). Work changes and individual, cancer-related, and work-related predictors of decreased work participation among African American cancer survivors. Cancer Med, 9(23), 9168-9177.
- Ou JY, Hanson HA, Ramsay JM, Kaddas HK, Pope CA 3rd, Leiser CL, VanDerslice J, Kirchhoff AC (2020). Fine Particulate Matter Air Pollution and Mortality among Pediatric, Adolescent, and Young Adult Cancer Patients. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 29(10), 1929-1939.
- Warner EL, Vaca Lopez PL, Kepka D, Mann K, Kaddas HK, Fair D, Fluchel M, Knackstedt ED, Pannier ST, Martel L, Kirchhoff AC (2020). Influence of provider recommendations to restart vaccines after childhood cancer on caregiver intention to vaccinate. J Cancer Surviv, 14(5), 757-767.
- Ou JY, Kirchhoff AC, Hanson HA (2019). Air Pollution across the Cancer Continuum: Extending Our Understanding of the Relationship between Environmental Exposures and Cancer. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 29(10), 1876-1879.
- Warner EL, Kirchhoff AC, Ellington L, Waters AR, Sun Y, Wilson A, Cloyes KG (2020). Young adult cancer caregivers' use of social media for social support. Psychooncology, 29(7), 1185-1192.
- Perez GK, Salsman JM, Fladeboe K, Kirchhoff AC, Park ER, Rosenberg AR (2020). Taboo Topics in Adolescent and Young Adult Oncology: Strategies for Managing Challenging but Important Conversations Central to Adolescent and Young Adult Cancer Survivorship. [Review]. Am Soc Clin Oncol Educ Book, 40, 1-15.
- Kaddas HK, Pannier ST, Mann K, Waters AR, Salmon S, Tsukamoto T, Warner EL, Fowler B, Lewis MA, Fair DB, Kirchhoff AC (2019). Age-Related Differences in Financial Toxicity and Unmet Resource Needs Among Adolescent and Young Adult Cancer Patients. J Adolesc Young Adult Oncol, 9(1), 105-110.
- Anderson C, Kaddas HK, Ou JY, Ramsay JM, Trogdon JG, Kirchhoff AC, Nichols HB (2020). Hospitalization after Adolescent and Young Adult (AYA) Cancer: A Population-Based Study in Utah. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 29(2), 336-342.
- Meernik C, Kirchhoff AC, Anderson C, Edwards TP, Deal AM, Baggett CD, Kushi LH, Chao CR, Nichols HB (2020). Material and psychological financial hardship related to employment disruption among female adolescent and young adult cancer survivors. Cancer, 127(1), 137-148.
- Ou JY, Warner EL, Nam GE, Martel L, Carbajal-Salisbury S, Fuentes V, Wetter DW, Kirchhoff AC, Kepka D (2018). Colorectal cancer knowledge and screening adherence among low-income Hispanic employees. Health Educ Res, 34(4), 400-414.
- Blackburn BE, Soisson S, Rowe K, Snyder J, Fraser A, Deshmukh V, Newman M, Smith K, Herget K, Kirchhoff AC, Kepka D, Werner TL, Gaffney D, Mooney K, Hashibe M (2019). Prognostic factors for rural endometrial cancer patients in a population-based cohort. BMC Public Health, 19(1), 921.
- Kaul S, Kirchhoff AC (2019). Closing the financial toxicity gap for adolescents and young adults with cancer. Pediatr Blood Cancer, 66(7), e27742.
- Holowatyj AN, Lewis MA, Pannier ST, Kirchhoff AC, Hardikar S, Figueiredo JC, Huang LC, Shibata D, Schmit SL, Ulrich CM (2019). Clinicopathologic and Racial/Ethnic Differences of Colorectal Cancer Among Adolescents and Young Adults. Clin Transl Gastroenterol, 10(7), e00059.
- Garvin JH, Herget KA, Hashibe M, Kirchhoff AC, Hawley CW, Bolton D, Sweeney C (2019). Linkage between Utah All Payers Claims Database and Central Cancer Registry. Health Serv Res, 54(3), 707-713.
- Millar MM, Kinney AY, Camp NJ, Cannon-Albright LA, Hashibe M, Penson DF, Kirchhoff AC, Neklason DW, Gilsenan AW, Dieck GS, Stroup AM, Edwards SL, Bateman C, Carter ME, Sweeney C (2018). Predictors of Response Outcomes for Research Recruitment Through a Central Cancer Registry: Evidence From 17 Recruitment Efforts for Population-Based Studies. Am J Epidemiol, 188(5), 928-939.
- Pannier ST, Mann K, Warner EL, Rosen S, Acharya A, Hacking C, Gerdy C, Wright J, Wu YP, Kirchhoff AC (2019). Survivorship care plan experiences among childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia patients and their families. BMC Pediatr, 19(1), 111.
- Ou JY, Hanson HA, Ramsay JM, Leiser CL, Zhang Y, VanDerslice JA, Pope CA 3rd, Kirchhoff AC (2019). Fine Particulate Matter and Respiratory Healthcare Encounters among Survivors of Childhood Cancers. Int J Environ Res Public Health, 16(6).
- Colonna S, Curtin K, Johnson E, Kohlmann W, Wright J, Kirchhoff A, Tavtigian S, Schiffman J (2019). Family History of Breast Cancer Associated with Breast Cancer in Survivors of Hodgkin Lymphoma. Int J Cancer Clin Res, 6(1).
- Kirchhoff AC, Mann K, Warner EL, Kaddas HK, Fair D, Fluchel M, Knackstedt ED, Kepka D (2019). HPV vaccination knowledge, intentions, and practices among caregivers of childhood cancer survivors. Hum Vaccin Immunother, 15(7-8), 1767-1775.
- Zamora ER, Kaul S, Kirchhoff AC, Gwilliam V, Jimenez OA, Morreall DK, Montenegro RE, Kinney AY, Fluchel MN (2016). The impact of language barriers and immigration status on the care experience for Spanish-speaking caregivers of patients with pediatric cancer. Pediatr Blood Cancer, 63(12), 2173-2180.
- Mangum DS, Verma A, Weng C, Sheng X, Larsen R, Kirchhoff AC, Druzgal C, Fluchel M (2013). A comparison of central lines in pediatric oncology patients: Early removal and patient centered outcomes. Pediatr Blood Cancer, 60(11), 1890-5.
- Ramsey S, Blough D, Kirchhoff A, Kreizenbeck K, Fedorenko C, Snell K, Newcomb P, Hollingworth W, Overstreet K (2013). Washington State cancer patients found to be at greater risk for bankruptcy than people without a cancer diagnosis. Health Aff (Millwood), 32(6), 1143-52.
- Kirchhoff AC, Lyles CR, Fluchel M, Wright J, Leisenring W (2012). Limitations in health care access and utilization among long-term survivors of adolescent and young adult cancer. Cancer, 118(23), 5964-72.
- Kirchhoff AC, Yi J, Wright J, Warner EL, Smith KR (2012). Marriage and divorce among young adult cancer survivors. J Cancer Surviv, 6(4), 441-50.
- Park ER, Kirchhoff AC, Zallen JP, Weissman JS, Pajolek H, Mertens AC, Armstrong GT, Robison LL, Donelan K, Recklitis CJ, Diller LR, Kuhlthau KA (2012). Childhood Cancer Survivor Study participants' perceptions and knowledge of health insurance coverage: implications for the Affordable Care Act. J Cancer Surviv, 6(3), 251-9.
- Kirchhoff AC, Krull KR, Ness KK, Armstrong GT, Park ER, Stovall M, Robison LL, Leisenring W (2011). Physical, mental, and neurocognitive status and employment outcomes in the childhood cancer survivor study cohort. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 20(9), 1838-49.
- Kirchhoff AC, Krull KR, Ness KK, Park ER, Oeffinger KC, Hudson MM, Stovall M, Robison LL, Wickizer T, Leisenring W (2011). Occupational outcomes of adult childhood cancer survivors: A report from the childhood cancer survivor study. Cancer, 117(13), 3033-44.
- Kirchhoff AC, Leisenring W, Krull KR, Ness KK, Friedman DL, Armstrong GT, Stovall M, Park ER, Oeffinger KC, Hudson MM, Robison LL, Wickizer T (2010). Unemployment among adult survivors of childhood cancer: a report from the childhood cancer survivor study. Med Care, 48(11), 1015-25.
- Kirchhoff AC, Leisenring W, Syrjala KL (2010). Prospective predictors of return to work in the 5 years after hematopoietic cell transplantation. J Cancer Surviv, 4(1), 33-44.