Amy J. Hawkins, PhD
Departments: Biochemistry - Assistant Professor (Lecturer)
Academic Office Information
Emma Eccles Jones Medical Research Building
15 N Medical Dr E, Room:
Salt Lake City, UT
15 N Medical Dr E, Room:
Salt Lake City, UT
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine
University of Virginia
Major: Biology; Minor: Bioethics
- Amy J Hawkins and Nicole C Woitowich (Accepted for Publication April 1, 2021). Building Powerful Presentations Through Framing and a Call to Action. In Susan Rowland and Louise Kuchel (Eds.), Science + SciComm + Work: Effective Communication in Science Programs. A Practical Guide for Students and Teachers. Springer Nature.
- Amy J Hawkins, Melissa Rowland-Goldsmith, Hannah Alexander, Nicole C Woitowich (Under Review, April 2021). The Art of Incorporating Science Communication into Existing Classrooms: How Online Resources and Training Address a Gap in Core Competencies. In Julia Kiernan (Ed.), Communicating Science (to Public Audiences): From Theory to Practice. The University Press of Colorado/Utah State University Press.
- Homburger S, Drits-Esser D, Malone M, Pompei K, Breitenbach K, Perkins R, Anderson P, Barber N, Hawkins AJ, Katz S, Kelly M, Starr H, Bass K, Roseman JE, Hardcastle J, Stark LA (2019). Development and Pilot Testing of an NGSS-Aligned Unit that Integrates Evolution and Heredity. 12(1), 13.
- Amy J Hawkins and Genetic Science Learning Center staff (2019). Genetic Testing in Healthcare. (24:56) Genetic testing can help patients make better-informed decisions about their healthcare and treatment options. This video describes how the process works: the types of tests available, how tests are developed and interpreted, and how teams of medical professionals work together throughout the process to enhance medical care. [Video]. Learn.Genetics.
- Amy J Hawkins and Genetic Science Learning Center staff (2019). Evolution: DNA and the Unity of Life curriculum materials on Shared Biochemistry, Comparing Amino Acid Sequences, Common Ancestry, Cladograms, and Speciation. Materials for the 6 - 8 week curriculum unit are freely-available and include videos, worksheets and interactive materials for students, and teacher training materials. [Web]. Learn.Genetics.
- Hawkins AJ, Stark LA (2017). More Than Metaphor: Online Resources for Teaching Cancer Biology. CBE Life Sci Educ, 16(3).
- Bodson J, Ding Q, Warner EL, Hawkins AJ, Henry KA, Kepka D (2017). Sub-Regional Assessment of HPV Vaccination Among Female Adolescents in the Intermountain West and Implications for Intervention Opportunities. Matern Child Health J, 21(7), 1500-1511.
- Amy J Hawkins and Genetic Science Learning Center staff (2016). Inside Diabetes. Video interactive voiced by Wilford Brimley. Travel inside the body to see how regulation goes wrong in people with diabetes, and how various treatments work to correct the problem. [Video]. Learn.Genetics.
- Hawkins AJ, Stark LA (2016). Bringing Climate Change into the Life Science Classroom: Essentials, Impacts on Life, and Addressing Misconceptions. CBE Life Sci Educ, 15(2).
- Kepka D, Ding Q, Hawkins AJ, Warner EL, Boucher KM (2016). Factors associated with early adoption of the HPV vaccine in US male adolescents include Hispanic ethnicity and receipt of other vaccines. Prev Med Rep, 4, 98-102.
- Amy J Hawkins and Genetic Science Learning Center staff (2015). Spotlight On Sugar. Learn about the sources of sugar in our diets, their chemical similarities and differences, and their effects on our cells and our bodies. [Web]. Learn.Genetics.
- Hawkins AJ, Stark LA (2015). Online Resources for Engaging Students in Bioethical Discussions. CBE Life Sci Educ, 14(4), fe4.
- Schell JC, Olson KA, Jiang L, Hawkins AJ, Van Vranken JG, Xie J, Egnatchik RA, Earl EG, DeBerardinis RJ, Rutter J (2014). A role for the mitochondrial pyruvate carrier as a repressor of the Warburg effect and colon cancer cell growth. Mol Cell, 56(3), 400-413.
- Hawkins AJ, Golding SE, Khalil A, Valerie K (2011). DNA double-strand break - induced pro-survival signaling. Radiother Oncol, 101(1), 13-7.
- Shultz JC, Goehe RW, Murudkar CS, Wijesinghe DS, Mayton EK, Massiello A, Hawkins AJ, Mukerjee P, Pinkerman RL, Park MA, Chalfant CE (2011). SRSF1 regulates the alternative splicing of caspase 9 via a novel intronic splicing enhancer affecting the chemotherapeutic sensitivity of non-small cell lung cancer cells. Mol Cancer Res, 9(7), 889-900.
- Shultz JC, Goehe RW, Wijesinghe DS, Murudkar C, Hawkins AJ, Shay JW, Minna JD, Chalfant CE (2010). Alternative splicing of caspase 9 is modulated by the phosphoinositide 3-kinase/Akt pathway via phosphorylation of SRp30a. Cancer Res, 70(22), 9185-96.
- Adams BR, Hawkins AJ, Povirk LF, Valerie K (2010). ATM-independent, high-fidelity nonhomologous end joining predominates in human embryonic stem cells. Aging (Albany NY), 2(9), 582-96.
- Hawkins AJ, Subler MA, Akopiants K, Wiley JL, Taylor SM, Rice AC, Windle JJ, Valerie K, Povirk LF (2009). In vitro complementation of Tdp1 deficiency indicates a stabilized enzyme-DNA adduct from tyrosyl but not glycolate lesions as a consequence of the SCAN1 mutation. DNA Repair (Amst), 8(5), 654-63.
- Golding SE, Morgan RN, Adams BR, Hawkins AJ, Povirk LF, Valerie K (2009). Pro-survival AKT and ERK signaling from EGFR and mutant EGFRvIII enhances DNA double-strand break repair in human glioma cells. Cancer Biol Ther, 8(8), 730-8.