Polina V. Kukhareva, PhD, MPH, FAMIA
Languages spoken: English, Russian
Departments: Biomedical Informatics - Research Assistant Professor
Academic Office Information
- Evaluation Studies
- Clinical Informatics
- Biomedical Informatics
- Electronic Medical Records and Biomedical Informatics
Dr. Kukhareva earned her Ph.D. in Biomedical Informatics at the University of Utah, Salt Lake City, and her M.P.H in Biostatistics at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill. Her research interests include qualitative and quantitative evaluation methods, socio-cognitive evaluation frameworks, and implementation of electronic health record-driven innovations. She successfully led the evaluation of multiple clinical decision support interventions, including solutions addressing a broad range of healthcare topics: cancer screening, neonatal bilirubin management, sepsis, diabetes pharmacotherapy, diabetic ketoacidosis, weight management, opioid overuse, telemetry overutilization, laboratory test ordering, and others. Dr. Kukhareva has co-authored multiple articles, a book chapter, and is a JAMIA Editorial Board member.
University of Utah School of Medicine
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Saint Petersburg State University
Saint Petersburg State University
- Cedillo M, Kukhareva PV, Larsen SM, McTigue KM, Bryce CL, Barone Gibbs B, Hess R, Huber K, Conroy MB (2022). Impact of electronic health record-coaching features in weight change: A secondary analysis from the MAINTAIN-pc randomized trial. Obesity (Silver Spring), 31(1), 31-36.
- Balch H, Gradick C, Kukhareva PV, Wanner N (2022). Association of Mobile Workstations and Rounding-in-Flow with Resident Efficiency: A Controlled Study at an Academic Internal Medicine Department. J Gen Intern Med, 37(14), 3700-3706.
- Morgan KL, Kukhareva PV, Warner PB, Wilkof J, Snyder M, Horton D, Madsen T, Habboushe J, Kawamoto K (2022). Using CDS Hooks to increase SMART on FHIR app utilization: a cluster-randomized trial. J Am Med Inform Assoc, 29(9), 1461-1470.
- Wei DH, Kukhareva PV, Tao D, Sordo M, Pandita D, Dua P, Banerjee I, Abraham J (2022). Assessing perceived effectiveness of career development efforts led by the women in American Medical Informatics Association Initiative. J Am Med Inform Assoc, 29(9), 1593-1606.
- Cresswell K, Rigby M, Georgiou A, Wong ZS, Kukhareva P, Medlock S, De Keizer NF, Magrabi F, Scott P, Ammenwerth E (2022). The Role of Formative Evaluation in Promoting Digitally-based Health Equity and Reducing Bias for Resilient Health Systems: The Case of Patient Portals. [Review]. Yearb Med Inform, 31(1), 33-39.
- Stipelman CH, Kukhareva PV, Trepman E, Nguyen QT, Valdez L, Kenost C, Hightower M, Kawamoto K (2022). Electronic Health Record-Integrated Clinical Decision Support for Clinicians Serving Populations Facing Health Care Disparities: Literature Review. [Review]. Yearb Med Inform, 31(1), 184-198.
- Kukhareva PV, Caverly TJ, Li H, Katki HA, Cheung LC, Reese TJ, Del Fiol G, Hess R, Wetter DW, Zhang Y, Taft TY, Flynn MC, Kawamoto K (2021). Inaccuracies in electronic health records smoking data and a potential approach to address resulting underestimation in determining lung cancer screening eligibility. J Am Med Inform Assoc, 29(5), 779-788.
- Kukhareva PV, Weir C, Del Fiol G, Aarons GA, Taft TY, Schlechter CR, Reese TJ, Curran RL, Nanjo C, Borbolla D, Staes CJ, Morgan KL, Kramer HS, Stipelman CH, Shakib JH, Flynn MC, Kawamoto K (2022). Evaluation in Life Cycle of Information Technology (ELICIT) framework: Supporting the innovation life cycle from business case assessment to summative evaluation. J Biomed Inform, 127, 104014.
- Reese TJ, Schlechter CR, Kramer H, Kukhareva P, Weir CR, Del Fiol G, Caverly T, Hess R, Flynn MC, Taft T, Kawamoto K (2021). Implementing lung cancer screening in primary care: needs assessment and implementation strategy design. Transl Behav Med, 12, 187-197.
- Kawamoto K, Kukhareva PV, Weir C, Flynn MC, Nanjo CJ, Martin DK, Warner PB, Shields DE, Rodriguez-Loya S, Bradshaw RL, Cornia RC, Reese TJ, Kramer HS, Taft T, Curran RL, Morgan KL, Borbolla D, Hightower M, Turnbull WJ, Strong MB, Chapman WW, Gregory T, Stipelman CH, Shakib JH, Hess R, Boltax JP, Habboushe JP, Sakaguchi F, Turner KM, Narus SP, Tarumi S, Takeuchi W, Ban H, Wetter DW, Lam C, Caverly TJ, Fagerlin A, Norlin C, Malone DC, Kaphingst KA, Kohlmann WK, Brooke BS, Del Fiol G (2021). Establishing a multidisciplinary initiative for interoperable electronic health record innovations at an academic medical center. JAMIA Open, 4(3), ooab041.
- Bradley S, Harwell C, Kukhareva P, Yarbrough P, Hall SK (2020). Osteoporosis Care Following Incidental Vertebral Fractures: a Retrospective Cohort Study. J Gen Intern Med, 36(6), 1797-1798.
- Tarumi S, Takeuchi W, Chalkidis G, Rodriguez-Loya S, Kuwata J, Flynn M, Turner KM, Sakaguchi FH, Weir C, Kramer H, Shields DE, Warner PB, Kukhareva P, Ban H, Kawamoto K (2021). Leveraging Artificial Intelligence to Improve Chronic Disease Care: Methods and Application to Pharmacotherapy Decision Support for Type-2 Diabetes Mellitus. Methods Inf Med, 60(S 01), e32-e43.
- Ciarkowski CE, Timbrook TT, Kukhareva PV, Edholm KM, Hatton ND, Hopkins CL, Thomas F, Sanford MN, Igumnova E, Benefield RJ, Kawamoto K, Spivak ES (2020). A Pathway for Community-Acquired Pneumonia With Rapid Conversion to Oral Therapy Improves Health Care Value. Open Forum Infect Dis, 7(11), ofaa497.
- Edholm K, Lapp K, Kukhareva P, Hopkins C, Hatton ND, Gebhart B, Nyman H, Signor E, Davis M, Kawamoto K, Johnson SA (2020). Reducing Diabetic Ketoacidosis Intensive Care Unit Admissions Through an Electronic Health Record-Driven, Standardized Care Pathway. J Healthc Qual, 42(5), e66-e74.
- Curran RL, Kukhareva PV, Taft T, Weir CR, Reese TJ, Nanjo C, Rodriguez-Loya S, Martin DK, Warner PB, Shields DE, Flynn MC, Boltax JP, Kawamoto K (2020). Integrated displays to improve chronic disease management in ambulatory care: A SMART on FHIR application informed by mixed-methods user testing. J Am Med Inform Assoc, 27(8), 1225-1234.
- Reese TJ, Del Fiol G, Tonna JE, Kawamoto K, Segall N, Weir C, Macpherson BC, Kukhareva P, Wright MC (2020). Impact of integrated graphical display on expert and novice diagnostic performance in critical care. J Am Med Inform Assoc, 27(8), 1287-1292.
- Horton DJ, Graves KK, Kukhareva PV, Johnson SA, Cedillo M, Sanford M, Dunson WA Jr, White M, Roach D, Arego JJ, Kawamoto K (2020). Modified early warning score-based clinical decision support: cost impact and clinical outcomes in sepsis. JAMIA Open, 3(2), 261-268.
- Kawamoto K, Kukhareva P, Shakib JH, Kramer H, Rodriguez S, Warner PB, Shields D, Weir C, Del Fiol G, Taft T, Stipelman CH (2019). Association of an Electronic Health Record Add-on App for Neonatal Bilirubin Management With Physician Efficiency and Care Quality. JAMA Netw Open, 2(11), e1915343.
- Kukhareva PV, Warner P, Rodriguez S, Kramer H, Weir C, Nanjo C, et al (2019). Balancing Functionality versus Portability for SMART on FHIR Applications: Case Study for a Neonatal Bilirubin Management Application. AMIA Annu Symp Proc, United States, 2019, 562-71.
- Kawamanto K, Flynn MC, Kukhareva P, ElHalta D, Hess R, Gregory T, Walls C, Wigren AM, Borbolla D, Bray BE, Parsons MH, Clayson BL, Briley MS, Stipelman CH, Taylor D, King CS, Del Fiol G, Reese TJ, Weir CR, Taft T, Strong MB (2018). A Pragmatic Guide to Establishing Clinical Decision Support Governance and Addressing Decision Support Fatigue: a Case Study. AMIA Annu Symp Proc, United States, 2018, 624-633.
- Kukhareva P, Weir CR, Staes C, Borbolla D, Slager S, Kawamoto K (2018). Integration of Clinical Decision Support and Electronic Clinical Quality Measurement: Domain Expert Insights and Implications for Future Direction. AMIA Annu Symp Proc, 2018, 700-709.
- Edholm K, Kukhareva P, Ciarkowski C, Carr J, Gill D, Rupp A, Morshedzadeh J, Wanner N, Kawamoto K (2018). Decrease in Inpatient Telemetry Utilization Through a System-Wide Electronic Health Record Change and a Multifaceted Hospitalist Intervention. J Hosp Med, 13(8), 531-536.
- Kukhareva PV, Weir CR, Staes C, Borbolla D, Slager S, Kawamoto K (2018). Integration of Clinical Decision Support and Electronic Clinical Quality Measurement: Domain Expert Insights and Implications for Future Direction. AMIA Annu Symp Proc, United States, 2018, 700-709.
- Horton DJ, Yarbrough PM, Wanner N, Murphy RD, Kukhareva PV, Kawamoto K (2017). Improving Physician Communication With Patients as Measured by HCAHPS Using a Standardized Communication Model. Am J Med Qual, 32(6), 617-624.
- Kukhareva P, Staes C, Noonan KW, Mueller HL, Warner P, Shields DE, Weeks H, Kawamoto K (2016). Single-reviewer electronic phenotyping validation in operational settings: Comparison of strategies and recommendations. J Biomed Inform, 66, 1-10.
- Kukhareva PV (2017). Standardized Approaches for Analyzing Quality Improvement Interventions in Healthcare Settings. SAS: Western Users of SAS Software Proc, 2014.
- Yarbrough PM, Kukhareva PV, Horton D, Edholm K, Kawamoto K (2016). Multifaceted intervention including education, rounding checklist implementation, cost feedback, and financial incentives reduces inpatient laboratory costs. J Hosp Med, 11(5), 348-54.
- Yarbrough PM, Kukhareva PV, Spivak ES, Hopkins C, Kawamoto K (2015). Evidence-based care pathway for cellulitis improves process, clinical, and cost outcomes. J Hosp Med, 10(12), 780-6.
- Tippetts TJ, Warner PB, Kukhareva PV, Shields DE, Staes CJ, Kawamoto K (2015). Challenges and Solutions in Optimizing Execution Performance of a Clinical Decision Support-Based Quality Measurement (CDS-QM) Framework. AMIA Annu Symp Proc, United States, 2015, 1194-203.
- Kukhareva PV, Kawamoto K, Shields DE, Barfuss DT, Halley AM, Tippetts TJ, Warner PB, Bray BE, Staes CJ (2014). Clinical Decision Support-based Quality Measurement (CDS-QM) Framework: Prototype Implementation, Evaluation, and Future Directions. AMIA Annu Symp Proc, United States, 2014, 825-34.
- Kukhareva PV, Roggenkamp K, Carpenter M (2014). Quick Analysis and Visualization of Excluded and Missing Data. SAS: Western Users of SAS Software Proc, 2014.
- Hoffman IF, Latkin CA, Kukhareva PV, Malov SV, Batluk JV, Shaboltas AV, Skochilov RV, Sokolov NV, Verevochkin SV, Hudgens MG, Kozlov AP (2013). A peer-educator network HIV prevention intervention among injection drug users: results of a randomized controlled trial in St. Petersburg, Russia. AIDS Behav, 17(7), 2510-20.
- Idrisov B, Sun P, Akhmadeeva L, Arpawong TE, Kukhareva P, Sussman S (2013). Immediate and six-month effects of Project EX Russia: a smoking cessation intervention pilot program. Addict Behav, 38(8), 2402-8.
- Kukhareva PV, Roggenkamp K (2013). Customized Comparison Tables for Clinical Studies. SAS: Western Users of SAS Software Proc, 2013.
- Kukhareva PV (2013). Cox Proportional Hazard Model Evaluation in One Shot. SAS Global Forum Proc, 2013.