Geoff Nelson, PhD, DABR
Languages spoken: English, Russian, Ukrainian
Departments: Radiation Oncology - Assistant Professor (Clinical)
Academic Office Information
- American Board of Radiology (Therapeutic Medical Physics)
Geoff Nelson, MS, PhD, is an Assitant Professor in the Department of Radiation Oncology at the University of Utah. He specializes in imaging in radiation oncology and in brachytherapy. He received his BS in Biomedical Physics from California State University Fresno and his Masters and Doctorate in Bioengineering from Stanford University. He completed his clinical residency in Medical Physics in 2015 at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. He worked as the Lead Physicist at Overlake Hospital in Bellevue, Washington before joining the medical physics team at the Huntsman Cancer Institute in May of 2017.
University of Wisconsin–Madison
California State University, Fresno
- Li X, Su FC, Sarkar V, Zhao H, Ibanez S, Kunz JN, Nelson G, Jessica Huang Y (2022). Impact of detector selection on commissioning of Leipzig surface applicators with improving immobilization in high-dose-rate brachytherapy. Brachytherapy, 21(4), 511-519.
- Hutten RJ, Nelson G, Sarkar V, Johnson SB, Tao R, Hitchcock Y, Chan J, Schroeder J, Kokeny K (2022). Feasibility and clinical utility of a workflow interfacing radiation oncology lung stereotactic body radiotherapy treatment planning and diagnostic radiology. Pract Radiat Oncol, 12(6), e512-e516.
- Geoff Nelson, Adam Paxton, Jeremy Kunz, Jessica Huang, Martin Szegedi, Vikren Sarkar, Bill Salter (2021). FMEA occurrence values for four failure modes occurring using look-up tables for dose calculations. J Appl Clin Med Phys, 22(2), 9-12.
- Adam B Paxton, Vikren Sarkar, Jeremy N Kunz, Martin Szegedi, Hui Zhao, Y Jessica Huang, Geoff Nelson, Prema Rassiah, Fan-Chi Frances Su, Bill J Salter (2020). Evaluation of the effects of implementing a diode transmission device into the clinical workflow. Phys Med, 80, 335-341.
- Prema Rassiah, FanChi Frances Su, Y Jessica Huang, Dan Spitznagel, Vikren Sarkar, Martin W Szegedi, Hui Zhao, Adam B Paxton, Geoff Nelson, Bill J Salter (2020). Utilization of Failure Mode Effect Analysis (FMEA) to generate an initial plan check checklist. J Appl Clin Med Phys, 21(8), 83-91.
- Vikren Sarkar, Martin Szegedi, Adam Paxton, Geoff Nelson, Prema RassiahSzegedi, Chakravarthy B Reddy, Randa Tao, Ying J Hitchcock, Kristine E Kokeny, Bill J Salter (2020). Preliminary clinical experience with Calypso anchored beacons for tumor tracking in lung SBRT. Med Phys.
- Vikren Sarkar, Adam Paxton, Jeremy Kunz, Martin Szegedi, Geoff Nelson, Prema RassiahSzegedi, Hui Zhao, Y Jessica Huang, Frances Su, Bill J Salter (2019). A systematic evaluation of the error detection abilities of a new diode transmission detector. J Appl Clin Med Phys, 20(9), 122-132.
- Geoff Nelson, Vadim Pigrish, Vikren Sarkar, FanChi Su, Bill Salter (2019). The use of DirectDensity TM and dual‐energy CT in the radiation oncology clinic. J Appl Clin Med Phys, 20(3), 125-131.
- Sarkar V, Paxton A, Szegedi MW, Zhao H, Huang L, Nelson G, Huang YH, Su F, Rassiah P, Salter B (2018). An evaluation of the consistency of shifts reported by three different systems for non-coplanar treatments. J Radiosurg SBRT, 5(4), 323-330.
- Lee A S, Tang C, Hong W X, Park S, Bazalova M, Nelson G, Sanchez-Freire V, Bakerman I, Zhang W, Neofytou E, Connolly A J, Chan C K, Graves E E, Weissman I L, Nguyen P K and Wu J C (06/12/2017). External Beam Radiation Therapy for the Treatment of Human Pluripotent Stem Cell-Derived Teratomas. Stem Cells.
- Nelson G, Wu M, Hinkel C, Krishna G, Funk T, Rosenberg J, Fahrig R (2016). Improved targeting accuracy of lung tumor biopsies with scanning-beam digital x-ray tomosynthesis image guidance. Med Phys, 43(12), 6282.
- Nelson GS, Perez J, Colomer MV, Ali R, Graves E (2014). Facilitating Multimodal Preclinical Imaging Studies in Mice by Using an Immobilization Bed. 64(3), 170.
- Bazalova M, Nelson G, Noll JM, Graves EE (2014). Modality comparison for small animal radiotherapy: a simulation study. Med Phys, 41(1), 011710.
- Nelson G, Yoon S, Krishna G, Wilfley B, Fahrig R (2013). Patient dose simulations for scanning-beam digital x-ray tomosynthesis of the lungs. Med Phys, 40(11), 111917.
- Nelson GS, Perez J, Vilalta M, Ali R, Graves E (2011). Facilitating multimodal preclinical imaging studies in mice by using an immobilization bed. Comp Med, 61(6), 499-504.
- Zhou H, Rodriguez M, van den Haak F, Nelson G, Jogani R, Xu J, Zhu X, Xian Y, Tran PT, Felsher DW, Keall PJ, Graves EE (2010). Development of a micro-computed tomography-based image-guided conformal radiotherapy system for small animals. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 78(1), 297-305.