Keke C. Fairfax, PhD
Languages spoken: English
IL-4 and immuno-modulation are hallmarks of parasitic infections, my laboratory broadly focuses on using the helminth parasite Schistosoma mansoni as a tool to understand both, the consequences of IL-4 induced immuno-modulation, and the complex interplay between B, T and stromal cells necessary to develop an optimal T and B cell memory response Under this umbrella we currently have three main projects: 1) Understanding the immunological implications of maternal schistosomiasis; 2) Dissecting the role of IL-4 in shaping the cellular environment of peripheral lymph nodes during homeostasis and antigenic challenge; 3) Delineating the mechanistic role of hepatic macrophages in helminth-induced protection from metabolic diseases.
Washington University in St. Louis
||Postdoctoral Research Associate|
University of Chicago
- Dong ZM, Lin E, Wechsler ME, Weller PF, Klion AD, Bochner BS, Delker DA, Hazel MW, Fairfax K, Khoury P, Akuthota P, Merkel PA, Dyer AM, Langford C, Specks U, Gleich GJ, Chinchilli VM, Raby B, Yandell M, Clayton F (2020). Pulmonary Eosinophilic Granulomatosis with Polyangiitis has IgG4 Plasma Cells and Immunoregulatory Features. Am J Pathol, 190(7), 1438-1448.
- Cortes-Selva D, Ready A, Gibbs L, Rajwa B, Fairfax KC (2019). IL-4 promotes stromal cell expansion and is critical for development of a type-2, but not a type 1 immune response. Eur J Immunol, 49(3), 428-442.
- Cortes-Selva D, Elvington AF, Ready A, Rajwa B, Pearce EJ, Randolph GJ, Fairfax KC (2018). Schistosoma mansoni Infection-Induced Transcriptional Changes in Hepatic Macrophage Metabolism Correlate With an Athero-Protective Phenotype. Front Immunol, 9, 2580.
- Wang F, Johnson RL, DeSmet ML, Snyder PW, Fairfax KC, Fleet JC (2017). Vitamin D Receptor-Dependent Signaling Protects Mice From Dextran Sulfate Sodium-Induced Colitis. Endocrinology, 158(6), 1951-1963.
- Dwyer DF, Barrett NA, Austen KF (2016). Expression profiling of constitutive mast cells reveals a unique identity within the immune system. Nat Immunol, 17(7), 878-87.
- Everts B, Tussiwand R, Dreesen L, Fairfax KC, Huang SC, Smith AM, ONeill CM, Lam WY, Edelson BT, Urban JF Jr, Murphy KM, Pearce EJ (2016). Migratory CD103+ dendritic cells suppress helminth-driven type 2 immunity through constitutive expression of IL-12. J Exp Med, 213(1), 35-51.
- Fairfax KC, Everts B, Amiel E, Smith AM, Schramm G, Haas H, Randolph GJ, Taylor JJ, Pearce EJ (2015). IL-4-secreting secondary T follicular helper (Tfh) cells arise from memory T cells, not persisting Tfh cells, through a B cell-dependent mechanism. J Immunol, 194(7), 2999-3010.
- Robinette ML, Fuchs A, Cortez VS, Lee JS, Wang Y, Durum SK, Gilfillan S, Colonna M (2015). Transcriptional programs define molecular characteristics of innate lymphoid cell classes and subsets. Nat Immunol, 16(3), 306-17.
- Fairfax KC, Harrison LM, Cappello M (2014). Molecular cloning and characterization of a nematode polyprotein antigen/allergen from the human and animal hookworm Ancylostoma ceylanicum. Mol Biochem Parasitol, 198(1), 37-44.
- Gautier EL, Ivanov S, Williams JW, Huang SC, Marcelin G, Fairfax K, Wang PL, Francis JS, Leone P, Wilson DB, Artyomov MN, Pearce EJ, Randolph GJ (2014). Gata6 regulates aspartoacylase expression in resident peritoneal macrophages and controls their survival. J Exp Med, 211(8), 1525-31.
- Fairfax KC, Everts B, Smith AM, Pearce EJ (2013). Regulation of the development of the hepatic B cell compartment during Schistosoma mansoni infection. J Immunol, 191(8), 4202-10.
- Fairfax K, Nascimento M, Huang SC, Everts B, Pearce EJ (2012). Th2 responses in schistosomiasis. [Review]. Semin Immunopathol, 34(6), 863-71.
- Fairfax KC, Amiel E, King IL, Freitas TC, Mohrs M, Pearce EJ (2012). IL-10R blockade during chronic schistosomiasis mansoni results in the loss of B cells from the liver and the development of severe pulmonary disease. PLoS Pathog, 8(1), e1002490.
- Fairfax KC, Vermeire JJ, Harrison LM, Bungiro RD, Grant W, Husain SZ, Cappello M (2009). Characterisation of a fatty acid and retinol binding protein orthologue from the hookworm Ancylostoma ceylanicum. Int J Parasitol, 39(14), 1561-71.
- Vinatzer BA, Teitzel GM, Lee MW, Jelenska J, Hotton S, Fairfax K, Jenrette J, Greenberg JT (2006). The type III effector repertoire of Pseudomonas syringae pv. syringae B728a and its role in survival and disease on host and non-host plants. Mol Microbiol, 62(1), 26-44.