Erin D. Bouldin, MPH, PhD
Languages spoken: English
Departments: Internal Medicine - Assistant Professor
Academic Office Information
Erin Bouldin, PhD, MPH is trained as an epidemiologist and health services researcher. In her research, she aims to identify factors that influence disability and function, intervene to reduce impairments and improve health and participation in an equitable way, and support family and professional caregivers. Her work focuses on the experiences and service needs of people living with disabilities, injuries, and cognitive impairment including Alzheimer's disease and related dementias and their caregivers. Dr. Bouldin is particularly interested in home- and community-based services and the experiences of Veterans and people living in rural areas. In addition to her role in the Department of Internal Medicine, she is an Investigator in the Health Services Research & Development (HSR&D) Informatics, Decision-Enhancement and Analytic Sciences (IDEAS) Center at the VA Health Care System in Salt Lake City.
University of Washington
University of Florida
University of Florida
Food Science & Human Nutrition, Zoology
- Miyawaki CE, Bouldin ED, Taylor CA, McGuire LC, Markides KS (2022). Characteristics of Asian American Family Caregivers of Older Adults Compared to Caregivers of Other Racial/Ethnic Groups: Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System 2015-2020. J Appl Gerontol, 42(5), 1101-1107.
- Viny M, Trevino AY, Bouldin ED, Kalvesmaki A, Roghani A, Pugh MJ (2023). Caregiver burden and COVID-19: How epilepsy caregivers experienced the pandemic. Epilepsy Behav, 141, 109151.
- Kindratt TB, Sylvers DL, Yoshikawa A, Lpez-Anuarbe M, Webster NJ, Bouldin ED (2022). Dementia Caregiving Experiences and Health Across Geographic Contexts by Race and Ethnicity. J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci, 78(Suppl 1), S48-S58.
- Spence NJ, Russell D, Bouldin ED, Tumminello CM, Schwartz T (2023). Getting back to normal? Identity and role disruptions among adults with Long COVID. Sociol Health Illn, 45(4), 914-934.
- Kubala JT, Pannill HL, Fasczewski KS, Rivera LA, Bouldin ED, Howard JS (2024). Comparing the Primary Concerns of Injured Collegiate Athletes With the Content of Patient-Reported Outcome Measures. J Athl Train, 58(3), 252-260.
- Brenner RJ, Hansen J, Brintz BJ, Bouldin ED, Pugh MJ, Rupper R, Munoz R, Garcia-Davis S, Dang S (2023). Association between specific unmet functional needs and desire to institutionalize among caregivers of older veterans. J Am Geriatr Soc.
- Mercado NR, Knapp K, Bouldin ED, Drugge ED (2023). Flu Vaccine Uptake in Caregivers and Noncaregivers: Implications for Policy and Practice. Prev Chronic Dis, 20, E01.
- Russell D, Spence NJ, Chase JD, Schwartz T, Tumminello CM, Bouldin E (2022). Support amid uncertainty: Long COVID illness experiences and the role of online communities. SSM Qual Res Health, 2, 100177.
- Juris JJ, Bouldin ED, Uva K, Cardwell CD, Schulhoff A, Hiegl N (2022). Virtual Intergenerational Reverse-Mentoring Program Reduces Loneliness among Older Adults: Results from a Pilot Evaluation. Int J Environ Res Public Health, 19(12).
- Bauler S, Hege A, Davis T, Schluth E, Pruitt C, Moreno V, Verhaeghe M, Bouldin ED (2022). Behavioral determinants for COVID-19 vaccine acceptance among students, faculty, and staff at a rural public university. Health Psychol Behav Med, 10(1), 467-479.
- Swarts E, Seitz CM, Bouldin ED, Rogers J, Orsini MM (2022). Universities' communication of COVID-19 cases through online dashboards. J Am Coll Health, 1-4.
- Noel MA, Lackey E, Labi V, Bouldin ED (2022). Efficacy of a Virtual Education Program for Family Caregivers of Persons Living with Dementia. J Alzheimers Dis, 86, 1667-1678.
- Bouldin ED, Delgado R, Peacock K, Hale W, Roghani A, Trevino AY, Viny M, Wetter DW, Pugh MJ (2022). Military Injuries-Understanding Posttraumatic Epilepsy, Health, and Quality-of-Life Effects of Caregiving: Protocol for a Longitudinal Mixed Methods Observational Study. JMIR Res Protoc, 11(1), e30975.
- Jeffers EM, Bouldin ED, McGuire LC, Knapp KA, Patel R, Guglielmo D, Taylor CA, Croft JB (2021). Prevalence and Characteristics of Subjective Cognitive Decline Among Unpaid Caregivers Aged ≥45 Years - 22 States, 2015-2019. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep, 70(46), 1591-1596.
- Flatt JD, Cicero EC, Lambrou NH, Wharton W, Anderson JG, Bouldin ED, McGuire LC, Taylor CA (2021). Subjective cognitive decline higher among sexual and gender minorities in the United States, 2015-2018. Alzheimers Dement (N Y), 7(1), e12197.
- Christiana RW, Bouldin ED, Battista RA (2021). Active living environments mediate rural and non-rural differences in physical activity, active transportation, and screen time among adolescents. Prev Med Rep, 23, 101422.
- Bouldin ED, Swan AA, Norman RS, Tate DF, Tumminello C, Amuan ME, Eapen BC, Wang CP, Trevino A, Pugh MJ (2020). Health Phenotypes and Neurobehavioral Symptom Severity Among Post-9/11 Veterans With Mild Traumatic Brain Injury: A Chronic Effects of Neurotrauma Consortium Study. J Head Trauma Rehabil, 36(1), 10-19.
- Bouldin ED, Taylor CA, Knapp KA, Miyawaki CE, Mercado NR, Wooten KG, McGuire LC (2020). Unmet needs for assistance related to subjective cognitive decline among community-dwelling middle-aged and older adults in the US: prevalence and impact on health-related quality of life. Int Psychogeriatr, 33, 1-14.
- Bouldin ED, Vandenberg A, Roy M, Hege A, Zwetsloot JJ, Howard JS (2019). Prevalence and domains of disability within and outside Appalachian North Carolina: 2013-2016 Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System. Disabil Health J, 13(2), 100879.
- Edwards VJ, Bouldin ED, Taylor CA, Olivari BS, McGuire LC (2020). Characteristics and Health Status of Informal Unpaid Caregivers - 44 States, District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico, 2015-2017. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep, 69(7), 183-188.
- Taylor CA, Bouldin ED, Greenlund KJ, McGuire LC (2020). Comorbid Chronic Conditions Among Older Adults with Subjective Cognitive Decline, United States, 2015-2017. Innov Aging, 4(1), igz045.
- Bouldin ED, Aikens JE, Piette JD, Trivedi RB (2018). Relationship and communication characteristics associated with agreement between heart failure patients and their Carepartners on patient depressive symptoms. Aging Ment Health, 23(9), 1122-1129.
- Schroeder J, Bouldin ED (2019). Inclusive Public Health Preparedness Program to Promote Resilience in Rural Appalachia (2016-2018). Am J Public Health, 109(S4), S283-S285.
- Rabarison KM, Bouldin ED, Bish CL, McGuire LC, Taylor CA, Greenlund KJ (2018). The Economic Value of Informal Caregiving for Persons With Dementia: Results From 38 States, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico, 2015 and 2016 BRFSS. Am J Public Health, 108(10), 1370-1377.
- Taylor CA, Bouldin ED, McGuire LC (2018). Subjective Cognitive Decline Among Adults Aged ≥45 Years - United States, 2015-2016. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep, 67(27), 753-757.
- Bouldin ED, Shaull L, Andresen EM, Edwards VJ, McGuire LC (2017). Financial and Health Barriers and Caregiving-Related Difficulties Among Rural and Urban Caregivers. J Rural Health, 34(3), 263-274.
- Bouldin ED, Trivedi RB, Reiber GE, Rosland AM, Silverman JB, Krieger J, Nelson KM (2017). Associations between having an informal caregiver, social support, and self-care among low-income adults with poorly controlled diabetes. Chronic Illn, 13(4), 239-250.
- Littman AJ, Bouldin ED, Haselkorn JK (2017). This is your new normal: A qualitative study of barriers and facilitators to physical activity in Veterans with lower extremity loss. Disabil Health J, 10(4), 600-606.
- Rosenberg D, Kadokura EA, Bouldin ED, Miyawaki CE, Higano CS, Hartzler AL (2017). Acceptability of Fitbit for physical activity tracking within clinical care among men with prostate cancer. AMIA Annu Symp Proc, 2016, 1050-1059.
- Miyawaki CE, Bouldin ED, Kumar GS, McGuire LC (2017). Associations between Physical Activity and Cognitive Functioning among Middle-Aged and Older Adults. J Nutr Health Aging, 21(6), 637-647.
- Bouldin ED, Littman AJ, Wong E, Liu CF, Taylor L, Rice K, Reiber GE (2016). Medicare-VHA dual use is associated with poorer chronic wound healing. Wound Repair Regen, 24(5), 913-922.
- Bouldin ED, Thompson ML, Boyko EJ, Morgenroth DC, Littman AJ (2015). Weight Change Trajectories After Incident Lower-Limb Amputation. Arch Phys Med Rehabil, 97(1), 1-7.e1.
- Bouldin ED, Taylor LL, Littman AJ, Karavan M, Rice K, Reiber GE (2015). Chronic Lower Limb Wound Outcomes Among Rural and Urban Veterans. J Rural Health, 31(4), 410-20.
- Deokar AJ, Bouldin ED, Edwards VJ, Anderson LA (2015). Increased confusion and memory loss in households, 2011 Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System. Prev Chronic Dis, 12, E29.
- Anderson LA, Deokar A, Edwards VJ, Bouldin ED, Greenlund KJ (2015). Demographic and health status differences among people aged 45 or older with and without functional difficulties related to increased confusion or memory loss, 2011 Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System. Prev Chronic Dis, 12, E30.
- Bouldin ED, Andresen EM, Bauer SE, Whitney C, Tamayo CC, Schumacher JR, Hall AG (2014). Visitability surveillance, prevalence, and correlates in Florida. Disabil Health J, 8(1), 140-5.
- Trivedi R, Beaver K, Bouldin ED, Eugenio E, Zeliadt SB, Nelson K, Rosland AM, Szarka JG, Piette JD (2013). Characteristics and well-being of informal caregivers: Results from a nationally-representative US survey. Chronic Illn, 10(3), 167-79.
- Bouldin EL, Andresen EM, Dunton NE, Simon M, Waters TM, Liu M, Daniels MJ, Mion LC, Shorr RI (2012). Falls among adult patients hospitalized in the United States: prevalence and trends. J Patient Saf, 9(1), 13-7.
- Zheng HW, Brumback BA, Lu X, Bouldin ED, Cannell MB, Andresen EM (2012). Doubly robust testing and estimation of model-adjusted effect-measure modification with complex survey data. Stat Med, 32(4), 673-84.
- Kusano CT, Bouldin ED, Anderson LA, McGuire LC, Salvail FR, Simmons KW, Andresen EM (2011). Adult informal caregivers reporting financial burden in Hawaii, Kansas, and Washington: Results from the 2007 Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System. Disabil Health J, 4(4), 229-37.
- Brumback BA, Bouldin ED, Zheng HW, Cannell MB, Andresen EM (2010). Testing and estimating model-adjusted effect-measure modification using marginal structural models and complex survey data. Am J Epidemiol, 172(9), 1085-91.
- McGuire L, Bouldin EL, Andresen EM, Anderson LA (2010). Examining modifiable health behaviors, body weight, and use of preventive health services among caregivers and non-caregivers aged 65 years and older in Hawaii, Kansas, and Washington using 2007 BRFSS. J Nutr Health Aging, 14(5), 373-9.
- Winter KH, Bouldin ED, Andresen EM (2010). Lack of choice in caregiving decision and caregiver risk of stress, North Carolina, 2005. Prev Chronic Dis, 7(2), A41.
- DeFries EL, McGuire LC, Andresen EM, Brumback BA, Anderson LA (2009). Caregivers of older adults with cognitive impairment. Prev Chronic Dis, 6(2), A46.