Megan Vanneman, PhD, MPH is an Associate Professor with tenure in the University of Utah School of Medicine’s Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Epidemiology and adjunct in the Department of Population Health Sciences, Division of Health System Innovation and Research. She is also a Core Investigator and Career Development Awardee at the VA Salt Lake City Health Care System's Informatics, Decision-Enhancement and Analytic Sciences Center (IDEAS).
Dr. Vanneman is a health services researcher. She primarily studies the impact of policy change on access, quality, and cost in large healthcare systems, with a focus on health equity and mental health. Dr. Vanneman uses mixed methods in her work, leveraging both quantitative (econometrics, biostatistics, surveys) and qualitative (in-depth interviews, focus groups) techniques. Her teaching interests are in research methods and health policy.
Dr. Vanneman earned her PhD in Health Services and Policy Analysis from UC Berkeley, MPH in Health Policy and Management from Columbia University, and BA in Human Biology from Stanford University. Prior to becoming a faculty member at the University of Utah, Dr. Vanneman completed a Postdoctoral Fellowship in Health Services Research at the VA Palo Alto Health Care System’s Center for Innovation to Implementation & Stanford University School of Medicine’s Center for Health Policy/Primary Care and Outcomes Research.
Dr. Vanneman is part of the Enhancing Development-Generating Excellence (EDGE) research scholars program through the University of Utah, which is a highly competitive program that supports the research of promising junior faculty. She received the 2021 William D. Odell and Margaret F. Odell Junior Investigator Award, recognizing her leadership as an assistant professor in the Department of Internal Medicine.
I am a health services researcher, with expertise in health policy, economics, and organizational behavior. I primarily study the impact of policy change on large healthcare and payer systems, including Medicaid and the Veterans Health Administration. Currently I am studying the effect of using multiple healthcare systems on patients’ access to care, quality of care, and costs.
VA Palo Alto Health Care System & Stanford University School of Medicine
University of California, Berkeley
- Yoon J, Ong MK, Vanneman ME, Zhang Y, Dizon MP, Phibbs CS (2023). Hospital and Patient Factors Affecting Veterans' Hospital Choice. Med Care Res Rev, 10775587231194681.
- Vanneman ME, Samore MH, Zheng T, Pettey WBP, Fagerlin A, Harris AHS (2023). Choosing Veterans Affairs: Determinants of post-9/11 Veterans' enrollment in Veterans Affairs health care. Medicine (Baltimore), 102(33), e34814.
- Elbogen EB, Amuan M, Kennedy E, Blakey SM, Graziano RC, Hooshyar D, Tsai J, Nelson RE, Vanneman ME, Jones AL, Pugh MJ (2022). Criminal legal involvement among recently separated veterans: Findings from the LIMBIC study. Law Hum Behav, 46(5), 385-394.
- Giori NJ, Beilstein-Wedel EE, Shwartz M, Harris AHS, Vanneman ME, Wagner TH, Rosen AK (2022). Association of Quality of Care With Where Veterans Choose to Get Knee Replacement Surgery. JAMA Netw Open, 5(9), e2233259.
- Vanneman ME, Rosen AK, Wagner TH, Shwartz M, Gordon SH, Greenberg G, Zheng T, Cook J, Beilstein-Wedel E, Greene T, Kelley AT (2022). Differences Between VHA-Delivered and VHA-Purchased Behavioral Health Care in Service and Patient Characteristics. Psychiatr Serv, 74(2), appips202100730.
- Engler ID, Vasavada KD, Vanneman ME, Schoenfeld AJ, Martin BI (2022). Do Community-level Disadvantages Account for Racial Disparities in the Safety of Spine Surgery? A Large Database Study Based on Medicare Claims. Clin Orthop Relat Res.
- Trivedi RB, Rossi FS, Javier SJ, Greene L, Singer SJ, Vanneman ME, Goldstein M, Zulman DM (2022). Association Between Mental Health Conditions and Outpatient Care Fragmentation: a National Study of Older High-Risk Veterans. J Gen Intern Med.
- Geraci JC, Finley EP, Edwards ER, Frankfurt S, Kurz AS, Kamdar N, Vanneman ME, Lopoo LM, Patnaik H, Yoon J, Armstrong N, Greene AL, Cantor G, Wrobleski J, Young E, Goldsmith M, Seim RW, Goodman M (2022). Partnered implementation of the veteran sponsorship initiative: protocol for a randomized hybrid type 2 effectiveness-implementation trial. Implement Sci, 17(1), 43.
- Yoon J, Kizer KW, Ong MK, Zhang Y, Vanneman ME, Chow A, Phibbs CS (2022). Health Care Access Expansions and Use of Veterans Affairs and Other Hospitals by Veterans. JAMA Health Forum, 3(6), e221409.
- Sharpe JA, Martin BI, Magel J, Fritz JM, Vanneman ME, Thackeray A (2022). Effect of Patient Use of Physical Therapy After Referral for Musculoskeletal Conditions on Future Medical Utilization: A Retrospective Cohort Analysis. J Manipulative Physiol Ther, 44, 621-636.
- Zulman DM, Greene L, Slightam C, Singer SJ, Maciejewski ML, Goldstein MK, Vanneman ME, Yoon J, Trivedi RB, Wagner T, Asch SM, Boothroyd D (2022). Outpatient care fragmentation in Veterans Affairs patients at high-risk for hospitalization. Health Serv Res, 57, 764-774.
- Vanneman ME, Yoon J, Singer SJ, Wagner TH, Goldstein MK, Hu J, Boothroyd D, Greene L, Zulman DM (2020). Anticipating VA/non-VA care coordination demand for Veterans at high risk for hospitalization. Medicine (Baltimore), 101(7), e28864.
- Rosen AK, Beilstein-Wedel EE, Harris AHS, Shwartz M, Vanneman ME, Wagner TH, Giori NJ (2022). Comparing Postoperative Readmission Rates Between Veterans Receiving Total Knee Arthroplasty in the Veterans Health Administration Versus Community Care. Med Care, 60(2), 178-186.
- Ko H, Brodke DS, Vanneman ME, Schoenfeld AJ, Martin BI (2021). Is Discretionary Care Associated with Safety Among Medicare Beneficiaries Undergoing Spine Surgery? J Bone Joint Surg Am, 104(3), 246-254.
- Sharpe JA, Thackeray A, Fritz JM, Martin BI, Magel J, Vanneman ME (2021). Patients' use of physical therapy for lower back pain: A qualitative study. Musculoskelet Sci Pract, 56, 102468.
- Wagner TH, Lo J, Beilstein-Wedel E, Vanneman ME, Shwartz M, Rosen AK (2021). Estimating the Cost of Surgical Care Purchased in the Community by the Veterans Health Administration. MDM Policy Pract, 6(2), 23814683211057902.
- Harris AHS, Beilstein-Wedel EE, Rosen AK, Shwartz M, Wagner TH, Vanneman ME, Giori NJ (2021). Comparing Complication Rates After Elective Total Knee Arthroplasty Delivered Or Purchased By The VA. Health Aff (Millwood), 40(8), 1312-1320.
- Sharpe JA, Martin BI, Fritz JM, Newman MG, Magel J, Vanneman ME, Thackeray A (2020). Identifying patients who access musculoskeletal physical therapy: a retrospective cohort analysis. Fam Pract, 38(3), 203-209.
- Mengeling MA, Mattocks KM, Hynes DM, Vanneman ME, Matthews KL, Rosen AK (2021). Partnership Forum: The Role of Research in the Transformation of Veterans Affairs Community Care. Med Care, 59(Suppl 3), S232-S241.
- Gordon SH, Beilstein-Wedel E, Rosen AK, Zheng T, Kelley AT, Cook J, Zahakos SS, Wagner TH, Vanneman ME (2021). County-level Predictors of Growth in Community-based Primary Care Use Among Veterans. Med Care, 59(Suppl 3), S301-S306.
- Pettey WBP, Wagner TH, Rosen AK, Beilstein-Wedel E, Shwartz M, Vanneman ME (2021). Comparing Driving Miles for Department of Veterans Affairs-delivered Versus Department of Veterans Affairs-purchased Cataract Surgery. Med Care, 59(Suppl 3), S307-S313.
- Derington CG, Colantonio LD, Herrick JS, Cook J, King JB, Rosenson RS, Poudel B, Monda KL, Navar AM, Mues KE, Stevens VW, Nelson RE, Vanneman ME, Muntner P, Bress AP (2021). Factors Associated With PCSK9 Inhibitor Initiation Among US Veterans. J Am Heart Assoc, 10(8), e019254.
- Fritz JM, Rhon DI, Teyhen DS, Kean J, Vanneman ME, Garland EL, Lee IE, Thorp RE, Greene TH (2020). A Sequential Multiple-Assignment Randomized Trial (SMART) for Stepped Care Management of Low Back Pain in the Military Health System: A Trial Protocol. Pain Med, 21(Suppl 2), S73-S82.
- Rosen AK, Vanneman ME, OBrien WJ, Pershing S, Wagner TH, Beilstein-Wedel E, Lo J, Chen Q, Cockerham GC, Shwartz M (2020). Comparing cataract surgery complication rates in veterans receiving VA and community care. Health Serv Res, 55(5), 690-700.
- Vanneman ME, Wagner TH, Shwartz M, Meterko M, Francis J, Greenstone CL, Rosen AK (2020). Veterans' Experiences With Outpatient Care: Comparing The Veterans Affairs System With Community-Based Care. Health Aff (Millwood), 39(8), 1368-1376.
- Jalali A, Martin C, Nelson RE, Vanneman ME, Martin BI, Cooney KA, Waitzman NJ, ONeil B (2019). Provider Practice Competition and Adoption of Medicare's Oncology Care Model. Med Care, 58(2), 154-160.
- Jones AL, Fine MJ, Stone RA, Gao S, Hausmann LRM, Burkitt KH, Taber PA, Switzer GE, Good CB, Vanneman ME, Zickmund SL (2019). Veteran Satisfaction with Early Experiences of Health Care Through the Veterans Choice Program: a Concurrent Mixed Methods Study. J Gen Intern Med, 34(9), 1925-1933.
- Mattocks KM, Cunningham K, Elwy AR, Finley EP, Greenstone C, Mengeling MA, Pizer SD, Vanneman ME, Weiner M, Bastian LA (2019). Recommendations for the Evaluation of Cross-System Care Coordination from the VA State-of-the-art Working Group on VA/Non-VA Care. J Gen Intern Med, 34(Suppl 1), 18-23.
- Yoon J, Vanneman ME, Dally SK, Trivedi AN, Phibbs CS (2019). Veterans' Reliance on VA Care by Type of Service and Distance to VA for Nonelderly VA-Medicaid Dual Enrollees. Med Care, 57(3), 225-229.
- Rosen AK, Wagner TH, Pettey WBP, Shwartz M, Chen Q, Lo J, OBrien WJ, Vanneman ME (2018). Differences in Risk Scores of Veterans Receiving Community Care Purchased by the Veterans Health Administration. Health Serv Res, 53 Suppl 3, 5438-5454.
- Nelson RE, Suo Y, Pettey W, Vanneman M, Montgomery AE, Byrne T, Fargo JD, Gundlapalli AV (2018). Costs Associated with Health Care Services Accessed through VA and in the Community through Medicare for Veterans Experiencing Homelessness. Health Serv Res, 53 Suppl 3, 5352-5374.
- Vanneman ME, Phibbs CS, Dally SK, Trivedi AN, Yoon J (2018). The Impact of Medicaid Enrollment on Veterans Health Administration Enrollees' Behavioral Health Services Use. Health Serv Res, 53 Suppl 3, 5238-5259.
- Vanneman ME, Larson MJ, Chen C, Adams RS, Williams TV, Meerwijk E, Harris AHS (2018). Treatment of Low Back Pain With Opioids and Nonpharmacologic Treatment Modalities for Army Veterans. Med Care, 56(10), 855-861.
- Nelson RE, Hicken B, Vanneman M, Liu CF, Rupper R (2018). The Impact of a Change in the Price of VA Health Care on Utilization of VA and Medicare Services. Med Care, 56(7), 569-576.
- Yoon J, Vanneman ME, Dally SK, Trivedi AN, Phibbs CS (2018). Use of Veterans Affairs and Medicaid Services for Dually Enrolled Veterans. Health Serv Res, 53(3), 1539-1561.
- Vanneman ME, Snowden LR, Dow WH (2018). Medicaid Spending Differences for Child/Youth Community-Based Care in California's Decentralized Public Mental Health System. Adm Policy Ment Health, 45(1), 15-27.
- Gundlapalli AV, Redd A, Bolton D, Vanneman ME, Carter ME, Johnson E, Samore MH, Fargo JD, OToole TP (2017). Patient-aligned Care Team Engagement to Connect Veterans Experiencing Homelessness With Appropriate Health Care. Med Care, 55 Suppl 9 Suppl 2, S104-S110.
- Vanneman ME, Harris AHS, Chen C, Adams RS, Williams TV, Larson MJ (2017). Postdeployment Behavioral Health Screens and Linkage to the Veterans Health Administration for Army Reserve Component Members. Psychiatr Serv, 68(8), 803-809.
- Schmidt EM, Gupta S, Bowe T, Ellerbe LS, Phelps TE, Finney JW, Asch SM, Humphreys K, Trafton J, Vanneman M, Harris AHS (2017). Predictive validity of a quality measure for intensive substance use disorder treatment. Subst Abus, 38(3), 317-323.
- Vanneman ME, Harris AHS, Asch SM, Scott WJ, Murrell SS, Wagner TH (2017). Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans' Use of Veterans Health Administration and Purchased Care Before and After Veterans Choice Program Implementation. Med Care, 55 Suppl 7 Suppl 1, S37-S44.
- Schmidt EM, Gupta S, Bowe T, Ellerbe LS, Phelps TE, Finney JW, Humphreys K, Trafton J, Vanneman ME, Harris AHS (2017). Predictive Validity of Outpatient Follow-up After Detoxification as a Quality Measure. J Addict Med, 11(3), 205-210.
- Gundlapalli AV, Jones AL, Redd A, Suo Y, Pettey WBP, Mohanty A, Brignone E, Gawron L, Vanneman M, Samore MH, Fargo JD (2017). Characteristics of the Highest Users of Emergency Services in Veterans Affairs Hospitals: Homeless and Non-Homeless. Stud Health Technol Inform, 238, 24-27.
- Harris AH, Chen C, Rubinsky AD, Hoggatt KJ, Neuman M, Vanneman ME (2016). Are Improvements in Measured Performance Driven by Better Treatment or "Denominator Management"? J Gen Intern Med, 31 Suppl 1, 21-7.
- Vanneman ME, Harris AH, Chen C, Mohr BA, Adams RS, Williams TV, Larson MJ (2015). Army Active Duty Members' Linkage to Veterans Health Administration Services After Deployments to Iraq or Afghanistan and Following Separation. Mil Med, 180(10), 1052-8.
- Vanneman ME, Snowden LR (2015). Linking the Legislative Process to the Consequences of Realigning California's Public Mental Health System. Adm Policy Ment Health, 42(5), 593-605.
- Halpin HA, McMenamin SB, Simon LP, Jacobsen D, Vanneman M, Shortell S, Milstein A (2013). Impact of participation in the California Healthcare-Associated Infection Prevention Initiative on adoption and implementation of evidence-based practices for patient safety and health care-associated infection rates in a cohort of acute care general hospitals. Am J Infect Control, 41(4), 307-11.
- Halpin H, Shortell SM, Milstein A, Vanneman M (2011). Hospital adoption of automated surveillance technology and the implementation of infection prevention and control programs. Am J Infect Control, 39(4), 270-6.
- Halpin HA, Milstein A, Shortell SM, Vanneman M, Rosenberg J (2011). Mandatory public reporting of hospital-acquired infection rates: a report from California. Health Aff (Millwood), 30(4), 723-9.
- Nelson S, Stone PW, Jordan S, Pogorzelska M, Halpin H, Vanneman M, Larson E (2011). Patient safety climate: variation in perceptions by infection preventionists and quality directors. Interdiscip Perspect Infect Dis, 2011, 357121.
- Kelley AT, Incze MA, Baylis JD, Calder SG, Weiner SJ, Zickmund SL, Jones AL, Vanneman ME, Conroy MB, Gordon AJ, Bridges JFP (2022). Patient-centered quality measurement for opioid use disorder: Development of a taxonomy to address gaps in research and practice. [Review]. Subst Abus, 43(1), 1286-1299.
- Glied S, Sparer M, Vanneman M (2006). The State of the Garden State. In Riccards MP & Hall GE (Eds.), Medicaid in New Jersey: Options for Reform (pp. 51-84). Trenton, NJ: Hall Institute of Public Policy.
- Vanneman M, Wagner T, Rosen A (2020). Research Points to Importance of VA and Community Care Patient Experience Scores. Health Services Research & Development.
- Vanneman ME (2012). The federal preventive services health insurance benefit mandate and California’s health insurance benefit mandates. California Health Benefits Review Program.
- Vanneman ME (2011). Other states health benefit review programs. California Health Benefits Review Program.
- Samples C, Korman D, Vanneman M, Holmes V (June 2009). Common legal issues and concerns of adolescents with HIV: A guide for clinicians. AIDS Education and Training Centers’ National Resource Center.
- Brellochs C, King K, Vanneman M, Lief A, Fryer GE Jr, Cadogan M, Platt R, Barbot O (June 2008). Analysis of health insurance coverage patterns and outreach strategies in New York City public schools. Commonwealth Fund.
- Samples C, Korman D, Vanneman M, Modey S, Holmes V (September 2006). Adolescents and HIV/AIDS: Legal rights and entitlements. AIDS Education and Training Centers’ National Resource Center.
- Davison C, Donovan M, Donohoe M, Vanneman M, Lyle M, Robinson P, Cavalier Y (September 2006). Adolescent transition workbook. AIDS Education and Training Centers’ National Resource Center.
- Vanneman M (2020). Using Care at VA and Elsewhere [Video]. Washington, D.C.: VA Health Services Research and Development Service (HSR&D).
- Levi C, Trautner B, Taylor S, Zeliat S, Zulman D, Landes S, Vanneman M, Mourea J (2019). Honoring All Who Served: Veterans Day. VA Health Services Research and Development Service (HSR&D), Washington, D.C. [Video].
- Redd A, Bollinger M, Massarweh N, Vanneman M, Luther S (2019). Using Data to Advance a Learning Healthcare System-Plenary Session-Research Presentations. [Video]. VA Health Services Research and Development (HSR&D) and Quality Enhancement and Research Initiative (QUERI) National Conference.
- Hynes D, Greenstone L, Mengeling M, Vanneman M (2017). VA Community Care [Podcast]. Washington, D.C.: VA Health Services Research and Development (HSR&D) and Quality Enhancement and Research Initiative (QUERI) National Conference. Available: https://www.hsrd.research.va.gov/news/podcasts/DeniseHynes-et-al.mp3.
- Hynes D moderator, Vanneman M, Greenstone L, Mengeling M (2017). The Future of VA Community Care. VA Health Services Research and Development Service (HSR&D) and Quality Enhancement Research Initiative (QUERI) National Conference [Video]. Washington, D.C.: VA HSR&D. Available: https://www.hsrd.research.va.gov/meetings/2017/streamed_sessions/community_care.cfm & https://www.hsrd.research.va.gov/meetings/2017/streamed_sessions/community_care_questions.cfm.
- Vanneman M (2017). The Veterans Choice Act [Podcast]. New Orleans, LA: VA Health Services Research and Development (HSR&D) at AcademyHealth Annual Research Meeting. Available: https://www.hsrd.research.va.gov/news/podcasts/MeganVanneman.mp3.