Dr. Shaji Menon is a Professor of Pediatrics and Adjunct Professor of Radiology at University of Utah. He is an Attending Physician in the Division of Pediatric Cardiology, where he cares for children and fetuses with congenital and acquired heart disease. Dr. Menon received his medical degree (Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery; MBBS) from Baroda Medical College, India in 1997. After completing medical school, he received his doctorate in pediatrics (MD) from Baroda Medical College, India in 2000. He worked as a senior resident doctor in pediatrics at All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India for almost 3 years. Dr. Menon completed his pediatric residency at New York School of Medicine (NYU) and Fellowship in Pediatric Cardiology at Mayo Clinic, Rochester. Dr. Menon’s career as a pediatric cardiology clinician and researcher began at Mayo Clinic, Rochester where he was an Instructor in Pediatrics. He Joined the University of Utah as an Assistant Professor of Pediatrics in 2008. Since his arrival he has completed additional training in advancing his skills and knowledge of clinical research. He completed Pediatric Clinical and Translational Research (PCAT) Scholar program in 2011. Dr. Menon also graduated from Masters in Clinical Investigation program at University of Utah in 2018. He is Board Certified in Pediatrics and Pediatric Cardiology. Dr. Menon’s clinical work is focused on care of children and fetuses with heart disease. His clinical areas of expertise and interests are in 1) care of single ventricle patients, 2) care of fetuses with congenital heart diseases and rhythm abnormalities, and 3) cardiovascular imaging including advanced imaging using cardiac magnetic resonance imaging. Dr. Menon is passionate about improving the care and survival of patients born with single ventricle heart disease. He is the medical director of Single Ventricle Survivorship Clinic at the Heart Center. This clinic provides comprehensive multispecialty care for patients with single ventricle heart disease. Dr. Menon is an independent researcher, teacher and clinical and research mentor for pediatric cardiology junior faculty, fellows, pediatric residents, and medical students. His research focus has been 1) role of cardiovascular imaging in congenital heart disease and evaluation of cardiac function, 2) outcomes of patients with single ventricle physiology, and 3) outcomes of fetuses with heart defect. Dr. Menon has been the Co-Principal Investigator on a grant from the University of Utah’s Center for Clinical and Translational Research and NIH Clinical and Translational Science Awards (CTSA) Program. He was also the recipient of Early Career Awards from the Primary Children’s Medical Foundation and Pediatric Heart Network (NIH). He is the site PI for multiple NIH and company sponsored multicenter drug trials including the stem cell trial in hypoplastic left heart syndrome. He has written more than 100 publications, scientific papers, chapters, and abstracts.
Shaji Menon, MD is a Professor of Pediatrics and Adjunct Professor of Radiology at University of Utah and Primary Children´s Medical Center. Dr. Menon sees fetuses, children and adolescents with all forms of heart disease at Primary Children’s Hospital. His areas of especial interest and expertise are: 1) Care of single ventricle patients, 2) Cardiac imaging; including transthoracic and transesophageal echocardiography, and cardiac magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), 3) care of fetuses with congenital heart diseases and rhythm abnormalities, and 4) Clinical research. He is the medical director of the Heart Center Single Ventricle Survivorship program. This clinic provides comprehensive multispecialty care for patients with single ventricle heart disease with a focus on evidence-based innovative care of the entire individual beyond heart related issues.
University of Utah
University of Virginia
Children's Hospital of Michigan
New York University Medical Center
All India Institute of Medical Science
Baroda Medial College
Baroda Medial College
- Pruitt CR, Menon S, Lal AK, Eckhauser AW, Ou Z, Presson A, Miller T, Niu M (2021). Usefulness of Left Ventricular Myocardial Deformation in Children Hospitalized for Acute Myocarditis who Develop Arrhythmias. Am J Cardiol, 152, 113-119.
- Gakenheimer-Smith L, Meyers L, Lundahl D, Menon SC, Bunch TJ, Sawyer BL, Tristani-Firouzi M, Etheridge SP (2021). Expanding the phenotype of CACNA1C mutation disorders. Mol Genet Genomic Med, 9(6), e1673.
- Lambert LM, McCrindle BW, Pemberton VL, Hollenbeck-Pringle D, Atz AM, Ravishankar C, Campbell MJ, Dunbar-Masterson C, Uzark K, Rolland M, Trachtenberg FL, Menon SC, Pediatric Heart Network Investigators (2020). Longitudinal study of anthropometry in Fontan survivors: Pediatric Heart Network Fontan study. Am Heart J, 224, 192-200.
- Goldberg DJ, Zak V, Goldstein BH, Schumacher KR, Rhodes J, Penny DJ, Petit CJ, Ginde S, Menon SC, Kim SH, Kim GB, Nowlen TT, DiMaria MV, Frischhertz BP, Wagner JB, McHugh KE, McCrindle BW, Shillingford AJ, Sabati AA, Yetman AT, John AS, Richmond ME, Files MD, Payne RM, Mackie AS, Davis CK, Shahanavaz S, Hill KD, Garg R, Jacobs JP, Hamstra MS, Woyciechowski S, Rathge KA, McBride MG, Frommelt PC, Russell MW, Urbina EM, Yeager JL, Pemberton VL, Stylianou MP, Pearson GD, Paridon SM, Pediatric Heart Network Investigators (2019). Results of the FUEL Trial. Circulation, 141(8), 641-651.
- Goldstone AB, Baiocchi M, Wypij D, Stopp C, Andropoulos DB, Atallah J, Atz AM, Beca J, Donofrio MT, Duncan K, Ghanayem NS, Goldberg CS, Hvels-Grich H, Ichida F, Jacobs JP, Justo R, Latal B, Li JS, Mahle WT, McQuillen PS, Menon SC, Pike NA, Pizarro C, Shekerdemian LS, Synnes A, Williams IA, Bellinger DC, Newburger J, Gaynor JW (2018). The Bayley-III scale may underestimate neurodevelopmental disability after cardiac surgery in infants. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg, 57(1), 63-71.
- Nakano SJ, Menon SC (2018). Risk stratification in pediatric hypertrophic cardiomyopathy: Insights for bridging the evidence gap? Prog Pediatr Cardiol, 49, 31-37.
- Etheridge SP, Escudero CA, Blaufox AD, Law IH, Dechert-Crooks BE, Stephenson EA, Dubin AM, Ceresnak SR, Motonaga KS, Skinner JR, Marcondes LD, Perry JC, Collins KK, Seslar SP, Cabrera M, Uzun O, Cannon BC, Aziz PF, Kubu P, Tanel RE, Valdes SO, Sami S, Kertesz NJ, Maldonado J, Erickson C, Moore JP, Asakai H, Mill L, Abcede M, Spector ZZ, Menon S, Shwayder M, Bradley DJ, Cohen MI, Sanatani S (2017). Life-Threatening Event Risk in Children With Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome: A Multicenter International Study. JACC Clin Electrophysiol, 4(4), 433-444.
- Menon SC, Ackerman MJ, Ommen SR, Cabalka AK, Hagler DJ, OLeary PW, Dearani JA, Cetta F, Eidem BW (2008). Impact of septal myectomy on left atrial volume and left ventricular diastolic filling patterns: an echocardiographic study of young patients with obstructive hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. J Am Soc Echocardiogr, 21(6), 684-8.
- Menon SC, OLeary PW, Wright GB, Rios R, MacLellan-Tobert SG, Cabalka AK (2007). Fetal and neonatal presentation of noncompacted ventricular myocardium: expanding the clinical spectrum. J Am Soc Echocardiogr, 20(12), 1344-50.
- Hummel K, Glotzbach K, Menon S, Griffiths E, Lal AK (2020). Thrombotic microangiopathy following heart transplant in pediatric Danon disease. Pediatr Transplant, 24(4), e13669.