Departments: Population Health Sciences - Assistant Professor, Family & Preventive Medicine - Adjunct Assistant Professor
Divisions: Biostatistics, DFPM Administration
Academic Office Information
1950 Circle of Hope, Room:
Salt Lake City, UT 84112
- Adaptive Monitoring Schemes
- Randomization Inference
- Covariate-Adjusted Randomization
- Causal Inference
Dr. Chipman is an Assistant Professor of Biostatistics within the Department of Population Health Sciences. He is a member of the Cancer Biostatistics Shared Resource at the Huntsman Cancer Institute (HCI) and serves on the HCI Data Safety and Monitoring Committee as well as multiple single-study DSMCs.
Dr. Chipman received his PhD in Biostatistics from Vanderbilt University and joined the University of Utah in September 2019. His personal research focuses on methods to increase the effective sample size of clinical trials using covariate-adjusted randomization and to adaptively monitor trials and observational studies. Dr. Chipman's research efforts focus on not only establishing statistical significance but also scientific relevance. In his collaborative research, Dr. Chipman has worked extensively on observational and experimental studies evaluating the quality of life and comparative effectiveness of interventions.
Prior to receiving his PhD, he earned a BS and MS in statistics. Between his MS and PhD studies, he worked four years as a collaborative statistician at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. And, while earning his PhD, he worked three years as a collaborative statistician for the Tennessee Valley Veteran’s Health Affairs.
I am trained in the design and analysis of clinical trials and observational studies.
My students and I develop methods that increase a study’s efficiency and effectiveness. Our current emphasis is in developing covariate-adjusted randomization and sample-size adaptive monitoring methods.
These methods reduce on average the noise in estimating an effect, improve the ability to study key subgroups, and allow for following studies until drawing clinically meaningful conclusions regarding the strength of the true effect.
University of Minnesota
Brigham Young University
Major: Statistical Science; Minors: Mathematics and Business Management
- Zimmerman R, Bilen MA, Heath EI, Nandagopal L, Swami U, Kessel A, Jaeger E, Wesolowski S, Hernanadez EJ, Chipman J, Mack A, Ravindranathan D, Maughan BL, Nussenzveig R, Yandell M, Kohli M, Lilly MB, Sartor AO, Agarwal N, Barata PC (2022). Comprehensive Genomic Profiling of Cell-Free DNA in Men With Advanced Prostate Cancer: Differences in Genomic Landscape Based on Race. Oncologist, 27(10), e815-e818.
- Dunston ER, Mulibea PB, Chipman J, Zickmund S, Oza S, Zingg RW, Hansen PA, Coletta AM (2022). Factors influencing engagement in hospital-based exercise oncology programs: A narrative review. [Review]. PM R.
- Rock CB, Chipman JJ, Parsons MW, Weil CR, Hutten RJ, Tao R, Tward JD, Shah HR, Hu B, Stephens DM, Gaffney DK (2022). Second Primary Malignancies in Diffuse Large B-cell Lymphoma Survivors with 40 Years of Follow Up: Influence of Chemotherapy and Radiation Therapy. Adv Radiat Oncol, 7(6), 101035.
- Wu YP, Parsons B, Jo Y, Chipman J, Haaland B, Nagelhout ES, Carrington J, Wankier AP, Brady H, Grossman D (2022). Outdoor activities and sunburn among urban and rural families in a Western region of the US: Implications for skin cancer prevention. Prev Med Rep, 29, 101914.
- Sirohi D, Chipman J, Barry M, Albertson D, Mahlow J, Liu T, Raps E, Haaland B, Sayegh N, Li H, Rathi N, Sharma P, Agarwal N, Knudsen B (2022). Histologic Growth Patterns in Clear Cell Renal Cell Carcinoma Stratify Patients into Survival Risk Groups. Clin Genitourin Cancer, 20(3), e233-e243.
- Kerrigan K, Jo Y, Chipman J, Haaland B, Puri S, Akerley W, Patel S (2022). A Real-World Analysis of the Use of Systemic Therapy in Malignant Pleural Mesothelioma and the Differential Impacts on Overall Survival by Practice Pattern. JTO Clin Res Rep, 3(3), 100280.
- Coletta AM, Playdon MC, Baron KG, Wei M, Kelley K, Vaklavas C, Beck A, Buys SS, Chipman J, Ulrich CM, Walker D, White S, Oza S, Zingg RW, Hansen PA (2021). The association between time-of-day of habitual exercise training and changes in relevant cancer health outcomes among cancer survivors. PLoS One, 16(10), e0258135.
- Berger VW, Bour LJ, Carter K, Chipman JJ, Everett CC, Heussen N, Hewitt C, Hilgers RD, Luo YA, Renteria J, Ryeznik Y, Sverdlov O, Uschner D, Randomization Innovative Design Scientific Working Group (2021). A roadmap to using randomization in clinical trials. BMC Med Res Methodol, 21(1), 168.
- Casper AC, Parsons MW, Chipman J, Burt LM Jr, Suneja G, Maurer KA, Gaffney DK (2021). Risk of secondary malignancies in ovarian cancer survivors: 52,680 patients analyzed with over 40 years of follow-up. Gynecol Oncol, 162(2), 454-460.
- Swami U, Isaacsson Velho P, Nussenzveig R, Chipman J, Sacristan Santos V, Erickson S, Dharmaraj D, Alva AS, Vaishampayan UN, Esther J, Hahn AW, Maughan BL, Antonarakis ES, Agarwal N (2020). Association of SPOP Mutations with Outcomes in Men with De Novo Metastatic Castration-sensitive Prostate Cancer. Eur Urol, 78(5), 652-656.
- Kishi T, Chipman J, Evereklian M, Nghiem K, Stetler-Stevenson M, Rick ME, Centola M, Miller FW, Rider LG (2019). Endothelial Activation Markers as Disease Activity and Damage Measures in Juvenile Dermatomyositis. J Rheumatol, 47(7), 1011-1018.
- Chu PY, Hackstadt AJ, Chipman J, Griffin MR, Hung AM, Greevy RA Jr, Grijalva CG, Elasy T, Roumie CL (2020). Hospitalization for Lactic Acidosis Among Patients With Reduced Kidney Function Treated With Metformin or Sulfonylureas. Diabetes Care, 43(7), 1462-1470.
- Min JY, Hackstadt AJ, Griffin MR, Greevy RA Jr, Chipman J, Grijalva CG, Hung AM, Roumie CL (2019). Evaluation of weight change and hypoglycaemia as mediators in the association between insulin use and death. Diabetes Obes Metab, 21(12), 2626-2634.
- Roumie CL, Chipman J, Min JY, Hackstadt AJ, Hung AM, Greevy RA Jr, Grijalva CG, Elasy T, Griffin MR (2019). Association of Treatment With Metformin vs Sulfonylurea With Major Adverse Cardiovascular Events Among Patients With Diabetes and Reduced Kidney Function. JAMA, 322, 1-11.
- Presley CA, Chipman J, Min JY, Grijalva CG, Greevy RA, Griffin MR, Roumie CL (2018). Evaluation of Frailty as an Unmeasured Confounder in Observational Studies of Antidiabetic Medications. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci, 74(8), 1282-1288.
- Min JY, Presley CA, Wharton J, Griffin MR, Greevy RA Jr, Hung AM, Chipman J, Grijalva CG, Hackstadt AJ, Roumie CL (2019). Accuracy of a composite event definition for hypoglycemia. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf, 28(5), 625-631.
- Min JY, Griffin MR, Chipman J, Hackstadt AJ, Greevy RA, Grijalva CG, Hung AM, Roumie CL (2019). Recent metformin adherence and the risk of hypoglycaemia in the year following intensification with a sulfonylurea. Diabet Med, 36(4), 482-490.
- Vicier C, Werner L, Chipman J, Harshman LC, Patil DH, Fichorova RN, Rider JR, Sanda MG, Mucci LA, Sweeney CJ (2018). Elevated Serum Cytokines and Trichomonas vaginalis Serology at Diagnosis Are Not Associated With Higher Gleason Grade or Lethal Prostate Cancer. Clin Genitourin Cancer, 17(1), 32-37.
- Presley CA, Min JY, Chipman J, Greevy RA, Grijalva CG, Griffin MR, Roumie CL (2018). Validation of an algorithm to identify heart failure hospitalisations in patients with diabetes within the veterans health administration. BMJ Open, 8(3), e020455.
- Mihalcik SA, Chipman JJ, Sanda MG, Regan MM, Kaplan ID, Wagner AA, Crociani CM, Chang P, PROST-QA Consortium (2018). Predicting erectile function following external beam radiation therapy or brachytherapy for prostate cancer using EPIC-CP. Pract Radiat Oncol, 8(6), 445-451.
- Chipman J, Braun D (2017). Simpson's paradox in the integrated discrimination improvement. Stat Med, 36(28), 4468-4481.
- Pencina MJ, Chipman J, Steyerberg EW, Braun D, Fine JP, DAgostino RB Sr (2017). Authors' response to comments. Stat Med, 36(28), 4511-4513.
- Chipman J (2017). Restricted Randomization: Pros and Cautions. In Berger VW (Ed.), Randomization, Masking, and Allocation Concealment (pp. 51-60). CRC Press.
- Sanda MG, Feng Z, Howard DH, Tomlins SA, Sokoll LJ, Chan DW, Regan MM, Groskopf J, Chipman J, Patil DH, Salami SS, Scherr DS, Kagan J, Srivastava S, Thompson IM Jr, Siddiqui J, Fan J, Joon AY, Bantis LE, Rubin MA, Chinnayian AM, Wei JT, and the EDRN-PCA3 Study Group, Bidair M, Kibel A, Lin DW, Lotan Y, Partin A, Taneja S (2017). Association Between Combined TMPRSS2:ERG and PCA3 RNA Urinary Testing and Detection of Aggressive Prostate Cancer. JAMA Oncol, 3(8), 1085-1093.
- Mihalcik S, Chipman J, Sanda M, Kaplan I, Crociani C, Chang P, PROST-QA Consortium (2016). Predicting erectile function following radiation therapy for prostate cancer at the point of care. J Urol, 195(4), e150.
- Biswas S, Atienza P, Chipman J, Blackford AL, Arun B, Hughes K, Parmigiani G (2016). A two-stage approach to genetic risk assessment in primary care. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 155(2), 375-83.
- Mazzola E, Chipman J, Cheng SC, Parmigiani G (2014). Recent BRCAPRO upgrades significantly improve calibration. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 23(8), 1689-95.
- Hoppe BS, Michalski JM, Mendenhall NP, Morris CG, Henderson RH, Nichols RC, Mendenhall WM, Williams CR, Regan MM, Chipman JJ, Crociani CM, Sandler HM, Sanda MG, Hamstra DA (2014). Comparative effectiveness study of patient-reported outcomes after proton therapy or intensity-modulated radiotherapy for prostate cancer. Cancer, 120(7), 1076-82.
- Chipman JJ, Sanda MG, Dunn RL, Wei JT, Litwin MS, Crociani CM, Regan MM, Chang P (2014). Measuring and predicting prostate cancer related quality of life changes using EPIC for clinical practice. J Urol, 191(3), 638-45.
- Chipman J, Drohan B, Blackford A, Parmigiani G, Hughes K, Bosinoff P (2013). Providing access to risk prediction tools via the HL7 XML-formatted risk web service. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 140(1), 187-93.
- Biswas S, Atienza P, Chipman J, Hughes K, Barrera AM, Amos CI, Arun B, Parmigiani G (2013). Simplifying clinical use of the genetic risk prediction model BRCAPRO. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 139(2), 571-9.
- Kazer MW, Bailey DE Jr, Chipman J, Psutka SP, Hardy J, Hembroff L, Regan M, Dunn RL, Crociani C, Sanda MG (2013). Uncertainty and perception of danger among patients undergoing treatment for prostate cancer. BJU Int, 111(3 Pt B), E84-91.
- Chang P, Szymanski KM, Dunn RL, Chipman JJ, Litwin MS, Nguyen PL, Sweeney CJ, Cook R, Wagner AA, DeWolf WC, Bubley GJ, Funches R, Aronovitz JA, Wei JT, Sanda MG (2011). Expanded prostate cancer index composite for clinical practice: development and validation of a practical health related quality of life instrument for use in the routine clinical care of patients with prostate cancer. J Urol, 186(3), 865-72.
- Bigler ED, Abildskov TJ, Petrie JA, Johnson M, Lange N, Chipman J, Lu J, McMahon W, Lainhart JE (2010). Volumetric and voxel-based morphometry findings in autism subjects with and without macrocephaly. Dev Neuropsychol, 35(3), 278-95.