Resident Physical Health Resources
- Employee Quick Clinic
The Work Wellness Center is a convenient service for University of Utah Health employees (including GME trainees) while at work. You can schedule an appointment online or reach them by phone at (801)581-2227. As a convenience to our employees, our goal is to see employees on the same day they seek services, as reasonably possible. U of U Health employees who have the following symptoms while at work can make an appointment to be seen at the Work Wellness Center. The Work Wellness Center offers appointments for non-emergency, non-work related illnesses and musculoskeletal injuries, including:
- Sore throat
- Sinus problems
- Upset stomach
- WellU Enrollment
Be sure to enroll in WellU. University employees who complete the WellU requirements receive a discount on their cost of health coverage of up to $40. See website www.hr.utah.edu/benefits/wellu.php for details. If you have questions about the WellU program please contact the Benefits Department at 801-581-7447 or email WellU@utah.edu.
- Office of Inclusion and Outreach
The mission of the Office of Health Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (OHEDI) is to extend an open invitation to all embracing and supporting all values for the enrichment of the entire Utah community. Additionally, we seek to value and embrace all outreach in order to bridge the Utah Community and the SOM through educational and healthcare partnerships.
- Free TeleYoga Class through Eccles LibraryJoin free TeleYoga classes from the Eccles Library on Zoom every Wenesday and Friday from 12-1 p.m. All faculty, residents, and medical students are welcome to join us.
- University of Utah Outdoor Adventures
Campus and Recreation Services
Address: 1836 Student Life Way, Salt Lake City, UT 84112 (on the first floor of the Student Recreation Center).
Rental Hours: Monday – Friday from 8 a.m.-6 p.m., Saturday 8 a.m.-1 p.m., Sunday 12-5 p.m.
Equipment Rental: Outdoor Adventures here at the U is the largest collegiate rental shop in the nation. We offer head-to-toe equipment to meet your needs, be it winter, summer, or somewhere in between. If you are headed out to enjoy the beautiful areas Utah and its surroundings have to offer, come into Outdoor Adventures, and we will set you up with everything you need to get the most out of your trip. See what we have to offer here, then give us a call at 801-581-8516 and we will get you set up.
Trips: Outdoor Adventures provides a variety of outdoor trips, day trips and clinics to the University of Utah community where participants can expect to see activities such as rock climbing, river rafting, cross country skiing, backcountry skiing, splitboarding, snowshoeing, canyoneering, ice climbing, stand up paddle boarding, camping, and much more. The volunteer student trip leaders are in constant training to provide a safe and positive learning environment where students can develop their outdoor skills.
- University of Utah Department of Parks, Recreation, & Tourism
The University of Utah’s Department of Parks, Recreation, and Tourism offers the following classes that provide students with the skills needed to get out on their own to enjoy activities of your choice and manage risks wisely. These classes typically consist of one evening class (3 hours) and a field experience that typically consists of a Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
- PEAK Health & Fitness
PEAK Health and Fitness is a clinic of the College of Health at the University of Utah. PEAK offers a wide variety of on campus classes just for university employees including boot camp, circuit training, indoor cycling, Pilates, stretch and strengthen, total body fitness, walking for fitness, weight training, and yoga. These classes are inexpensive, fun, and open to participants of all experience and fitness levels.
PEAK fitness classes are available to all full and part-time employees of the University of Utah (including employees at Primary Children's Hospital, and University of Utah Health affiliates in Research Park). Family members and partners of employees may also participate in PEAK classes at the same price.
For more information, please visit the links below.
- George S. Eccles Student Life Center
The George S. Eccles Student Life Center is located just west of the George S. Eccles 2002 Legacy Bridge and adjacent to the Fort Douglas TRAX stop. Amenities include a 50-meter pool, indoor and outdoor leisure pools, large indoor hot tub/spa, 320-yard indoor running track, bouldering four-story climbing wall, 15,000 square foot fitness center, outdoor mezzanine, outdoor fire pit, five sport courts, racquetball courts, four group fitness studios, and a combative room.
Additional amenities include a branch of the University Federal Credit Union, Shake Smart, The Center for Student Wellness, and Athletic Training.
Facility Hours: Monday-Friday 6 a.m.-8 p.m., Saturday 8 a.m.-6 p.m., Sunday 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
Faculty and Staff Membership Rates are $275.00 annually. Payroll deduction is available.
- Additional Exercise & Sports
The U of U Campus Recreation/Intramural Sports are open to all current University of Utah students or faculty/staff, alumni, or affiliated members with a Campus Recreation Services membership. They are a great way to stay fit and active while having fun with your friends. The Intramural Sports Program offers competition in a wide variety of sports. We offer: open (no gender requirements), women’s only, men’s only, and co-rec (men and women combined on one team) leagues and divisions. Competition is provided in the form of leagues, tournaments and special events programmed on a semester basis. A wide variety of team, dual, and individual sport experiences are offered. Anyone of any skill level or experience is encouraged participate.
Jewish Community Center Health and Fitness - very close to the university but requires a membership and is a bit pricy.
Steiner Sports Complex - Right next to the VA. Requires a daily fee or membership, but has lots of free classes available at all times of day. 50m outdoor pool in the summer.
- Where to Work Out at Work
Primary Children's Outpatient Building
The Eccles Primary Children’s Outpatient Services Building has a gym open to any residents/fellows with PCH badge access. The cost is $65 per year. Contact email@example.com to arrange for access. Special arrangements can be made if rotations at PCH are less than six months during a specific year. Gym includes:
- 5 treadmills, 5 ellipticals, and 2 stationary bikes that are Bluetooth and TV enabled
- 2 water row machines and 1 spin bike
- Free weights from 5 lbs. to 100 lbs.
- Kettlebells from 5lbs to 50lbs
- A weight rack for squats, pull-ups, bench press, etc.
- A weight machine with leg press, leg extension, pulleys, etc.
- Yoga mats and medicine balls
- Locker room and showers
- Lockers with 2 hour personal time lock
- 24/7/365 access
Huntsman Cancer Institute
While rotating at Huntsman Cancer Institute and spending at least 50% of your time there, trainees can access the gym in the research building. You must bring a letter from a supervisor at Huntsman stating the start and end dates of your rotation, which should also state % of time spent there on rotation. Contact Gayle to arrange for access.
If you rotate at the VA you have access to a gym and a pool! Stop by out-patient PT on the ground floor at VAMC and sign a waiver form. 24/7 access.
- Other Local Gyms
- 24hr Fitness; Anytime Fitness; Planet Fitness; Gold’s Gym; VASA Fitness with multiple locations throughout SLC area. See respective websites for details.
- Steiner Sports Complex - Right next to the VA. Requires a daily fee or membership, but has lots of free classes available at all times of day. 50m outdoor pool in the summer.
- Jewish Community Center Health and Fitness - very close to the university but requires a membership and is a bit pricy.
- Body Wise in Foothill Village near the U
- The George S. Eccles Student Life Center is located just west of the George S. Eccles 2002 Legacy Bridge and adjacent to the Fort Douglas TRAX stop. Amenities include a 50-meter pool, indoor and outdoor leisure pools, large indoor hot tub/spa, 320-yard indoor running track, bouldering four-story climbing wall, 15,000 square foot fitness center, outdoor mezzanine, outdoor fire pit, five sport courts, racquetball courts, four group fitness studios, and a combative room.
- Facility Hours: Monday-Friday 6 a.m.-8 p.m., Saturday 8 a.m.-6 p.m., Sunday 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Faculty and Staff Membership Rates are $275.00 annually. Payroll deduction is available.
- Climbing Gyms
- Local Yoga Studios
- Parks & Trails (free areas for self-motivated exercise/fitness)
- Sugarhouse Park - paved path that can be good for flat runs.
- Liberty Park - paved path as well good for runs.
- 11th Ave Park - ~1/4 mi paved track surrounding soccer fields. Also good hills for some hilly wind-sprints.
- City Creek - paved road up the canyon as well as access to the Bonneville Shoreline Trail in two directions.
- Bonneville Shoreline Trail - large collection of trail with easy access from the Huntsman hospital, the avenues, all the way down to Provo area.
- Emigration/Big Cottonwood/Little Cottonwood/Mill Creek Canyons - biking, hiking, skiing, x-country skiing etc. All within ~30-45 min drive. Note: Millcreek has a $3 exit fee (season passes for $40)