Continuing Medical Education Course Directors
CME Planning Process
Contact us! To provide CME credit for an educational activity, the first step is to set up an hour long meeting with our office. We’ll discuss the activity in detail and would like to meet with the activity director and anyone else who will be helping with the planning or coordinating. We will use that meeting to complete the education plan for you (it’s faster & less work for you).
- Schedule an appointment with the CME office to discuss your educational idea.
- During that meeting, we'll use the planning agenda. No need to answer the questions before the meeting; they are here so you'll have an idea of what that discussion will include.
- We will discuss Identifying, Mitigating, and Disclosing Financial Relationships and the UUCME process during the meeting.
- We will request a draft agenda from you showing planned times of your activity.
Following the meeting, the next steps to getting CME credit for an activity are:
- We’ll take our notes from our meeting with you & turn it into an educational plan.
- We’ll send that plan to you and ask that the director, coordinator and anyone else involved in the planning review and make any edits.
- At the same time, we will most likely need to collect disclosure information from all those in control of content (speakers, planners, moderators, etc.). Disclosure must be received & any conflicts resolved prior to the activity.
- We will then provide specific statements that must be included on publicity and be given to learners prior to activity start.
- We’ll explain how learners can claim their credit and provide some instructions for you to share with your learners.
- Once a year or at the end of the course, we’ll ask you to reflect on how the activity went and provide us with a completed form of those thoughts.
Our goal is to make the process as easy as possible and to work with you to create an excellent, engaging educational experience for your learners. Let us help you today!
Contact UUCME early so that you’ll be better equipped for addressing ways to enhance educational effectiveness. We will help you explore insightful instructional design and anticipate barriers that can potentially interfere with your desired outcomes. Even if this event is modeled after a previously-held activity, there may be ways to improve its effectiveness.
UUCME is responsible for all University of Utah CME activities approved for AMA PRA Category 1 credit™.