The University of Utah’s Neurocritical Care Unit offers
- A 23-bed cutting-edge Neurocritical Care Unit with the ability to care for the most acute and complex patients featuring advanced neuromonitoring tools such as Cadwell™ continuous EEG machines, and the state-of-the-art Ceribell™ rapid EEG device for detection of status epilepticus. In addition, we have the Codman™ ICP monitor, Codman Microsensor™ EVD/ICP combo monitor, Licox™ brain tissue oxygenation monitor, Hemedex™ cerebral blood flow monitor, external ventricular drains (EVDs), lumbar CSF drains, and Moberg™ CNS monitors. Other advanced equipment available are the OmniTom™ portable CT scanner, bronchoscopy cart (standard and disposable bronchoscopes), GlideScope™ video intubation equipment, SonoSite™ ultrasound, Vigileo™ cardiac output monitors, as well as equipment for percutaneous tracheostomy placement.
- A multidisciplinary team including Neurology, Neurosurgery and Anesthesia faculty provide 24/7 critical care to patients. The team also includes eight advanced practice clinicians, critical care fellows, resident physicians, clinical pharmacists, respiratory, occupational and physical therapist.
Diseases and conditions treated:
- Acute ischemic stroke
- Acute hemorrhagic stroke
- Neuromuscular emergencies
- Guillain-Barré syndrome and myasthenia gravis
- Seizure disorders and status epilepticus
- Vasculitis/vasculopathy/reversible cerebral vasoconstriction syndrome
- Dural venous sinus thrombosis
- Traumatic brain injury
- Spinal cord injury
- Brain tumors
- Subarachnoid hemorrhage
- Vascular malformations
Neurocritical care providers from Neurology:
- Safdar Ansari, MD | Fellowship Program Director
- Holly Ledyard, MD
- Nabeel Chauhan, MD
Neurocritical care providers from Neurosurgery and Anesthesia:
- Sarah Menacho, MD | Medical Director
- Dorothea Rosenberger, MD, PhD
- David Dorsey, MD
- Stephen Sams, MD
Clinical Trials & Research
Our multidisciplinary faculty has ongoing clinical trials and research in various areas to support patients with neurological disorders and to advance medical knowledge
Ongoing clinical trials:
- ASPIRE (Anticoagulation in ICH Survivors for Stroke Prevention and Recovery) | PI: Safdar Ansari
- CHARM (Phase 3 Study to Evaluate the Efficacy and Safety of Intravenous Glibenclamide for Severe Cerebral Edema Following Large Hemispheric Infarction) | PI: Lee Chung
- SATURN (Statins in Intracerebral Hemorrhage) | PI: Ramesh Grandhi
Completed clinical trials:
For Medical Professionals
The Neurocritical Care Unit offers direct referral lines to ease the process of transferring patients with critical neurological and neurosurgical conditions through the University of Utah transfer center. For urgent emergency room and hospital transfers, please visit the transfer patient page.
Department of Neurology
Division of Neurocritical Care
175 North Medical Drive E.
Salt Lake City, UT 84132
Help Progress, Give Today
You can help the Department of Neurology continue to progress with even a small contribution.