2024 MAPP Application is Now Open
The Medical Admissions Preparatory Program (MAPP) is designed to assist premedical students with the means to strengthen their ability and readiness to study medicine. MAPP is designed to support students who have experienced social, economic, or education disadvantages in their journey to medical education. This is an eight-week summer program that runs from June 10 – August 12, 2024. Students are competitively selected in the spring and upon selection are expected to attend weekly meetings with the cohort and staff advisors. Students applying should be committed to taking the MCAT and applying to medical school by Spring 2025.
Program Components Include:
- Kaplan MCAT preparation course
- Access to online Kaplan MCAT resources and practice test
- Study tips & test-taking strategies
- Medical school admissions information
- Personal statement writing workshop
- Interview skills training and mock interviews
- CV workshop
- Weekly meetings with the cohort and staff advisors
- Medical student mentoring
- Professional headshot photograph
- Clinical experience shadowing (clinical opportunities pending, not guaranteed)
The program includes the Kaplan MCAT Prep Course, which reviews all subjects pertaining to the Medical College Admission Test. Students receive all course materials and have supplemental instruction from a qualified tutor to augment the Kaplan Course, as well as a group study and access to test banks and practice exams.
To be eligible to apply, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Availability to participate for the duration of the summer experience. Attend in-person activities and/or workshops at the Spencer Fox Eccles School of Medicine campus.
- College junior, senior, master’s student, or recent college or master’s graduate.
- Completed at least two years of undergraduate science or premed coursework.
- A minimum overall GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale is required at the college level.
How to Apply
Applications will be reviewed once complete, and all supporting documents must be submitted by the application deadline. Incomplete applications or those submitted after the deadline will not be considered.
To ensure your application is considered, the following documents are required for your application to be considered complete. Do not submit materials separately, the list is provided to assist you in building a competitive package.
- Essay describing how your background and experiences influenced your motivation for a career in medicine and how this program will help you reach your goals (750 words)
- Two (2) Professional references
- One academic reference from a science faculty member who will attest to your interest and ability in science.
- One personal reference from a faculty member, counselor, employer, or community leader who knows you well and can describe your accomplishments and abilities.
- Unofficial copy of your college transcript(s)
- Current Resume/CV (optional)
Once you have gathered all required documents, please submit them through our online application portal.
Application Deadline: April 5, 2024.
Admission Notification: April 30, 2024
Any questions or if you would like additional information, please contact Spencer Fox Eccles School of Medicine Office of Health Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion at email@example.com.
Drop by for snacks, coffee, coloring, printing, and more!
Diversity Lounge - Room 101
School of Medicine, Building 379
27 S Mario Cappechi Drive
Salt Lake City, UT 84132