Opportunities Throughout Residency
Event Coverage/Pre-Participation Exams:
Participation in development and teaching of Sports Medicine curriculum
- Wednesday Afternoon Teaching Sessions (residency didactics)
- Grand Rounds
- Sports Medicine Journal Club
- Event coverage with Sports Medicine fellowship faculty: high school football, Tour of Utah cycling, Salt Lake Marathon and local running events, Utah Olympic Park events: bobsled, skeleton, freestyle and speed skating, University of Utah Varsity and Club Sports
- Research with Sports Medicine fellowship faculty
- Quality Improvement projects
- Case presentations for local and national meetings
Ideas for engagement:
First Year (R1)
- Information for American Medical Society for Sports Medicine (AMSSM) resident membership, conferences, and Fellowships website.
- Survival Skills (intern didactics)
- Use elective time for research project/clinical review paper
- If you are interested in Fellowship training, start looking into Fellowship options.
- Some Fellowships offer specific procedural training, sports specific coverage or may have a research emphasis.
- Look into accredited Fellowships, which will lead to a Certificate of Additional Qualification (CAQ) in Sports Medicine
- Join AMSSM (yearly resident membership)
- Review Fellowship application to see what is needed to be competitive.
- Join the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM).
- Attend Sports Medicine Journal Club (throughout residency when rotations allow) Thursdays, 6:45 am – University Orthopedic Center
Second Year (R2)
- Sports Medicine rotation
- Team physician experience with current fellows' event coverage
- Continue research project work
- Submit a case to AMSSM or ACSM
- Submit a research project to AMSSM or ACSM
- Attend AMSSM annual conference and meet with Fellowship Directors
- Advanced Sports Medicine rotation: Snowbird/Alta Ski Clinics, orthopedic surgery, musculoskeletal radiology, rheumatology, self-directed learning elective
Third Year (R3)
- Attend one conference, advanced team physician course, AMSSM annual meeting or ACSM annual meeting
- Advanced rotations: Snowbird Emergency Clinic, orthopedic surgery, musculoskeletal radiology, rheumatology, physical medicine and rehabilitation