The University of Utah Division of Endocrinology, Metabolism, and Diabetes offers expert care for all endocrine, metabolic, and diabetes-related conditions. Our team is committed to delivering compassionate care, advancing novel research and educating the next generation of health experts.
The Utah Diabetes and Endocrinology Center (UDEC) focuses on patient needs by providing individualized treatment plans to reduce complications and suffering. The UDEC also provides tailored diabetes education to patients of all ages and is the only facility for comprehensive and continuous diabetes care and management in Utah and the Mountain West Region.
In addition to our practice at the UDEC, our clinicians see patients at the University of Utah Community Clinics, the Salt Lake City George E. Whalen Veteran’s Affairs Medical Center, and Mountain West Endocrinology at St. Marks Hospital, South Jordan with plans to expand clinical services to Farmington, Redwood, and Greenwood.
The division’s diabetes research is rooted in multi-disciplinary collaborations. Our goal is to unify teams of clinicians, researchers, and educators to prevent, treat, and eradicate diabetes in our nation. With more than 65 active research laboratories from six colleges across the University of Utah and a comprehensive Diabetes and Endocrinology Clinical Center, the DMC is poised to translate scientific discoveries into improved prevention strategies and clinical care.
Our investigators have significant expertise in the following research areas:
- We provide cutting edge care for patients on oral medication, insulin, insulin pumps, and continuous glucose monitors. We work with nutritionists, diabetes educators, and lifestyle coaches for comprehensive care.
- We are a nationally recognized center for thyroid and parathyroid disease. Endocrinologists and head and neck surgeons at UDEC, HCI and the community health centers provide state-of the art treatment for thyroid and parathyroid nodules and cancer.
- Our bariatric service provides medical and surgical treatment for obesity. Nutritionists, therapists, and lifestyle coaches assist in providing comprehensive care.
- Our integrated endocrinology and neurosurgery clinic treats all pituitary disease, providing the necessary surgical, medical, and radiotherapy for lifetime care.
- We provide expertise in endocrine hypertension, adrenal gland disorders, and hypoglycemia. Our surgical and interventional radiology departments work collaboratively to diagnose and treat these disorders.
- We provide specialized endocrine care for women with disorders of ovulation and the menstrual cycle and men with disorders of testosterone and reproductive problems.
- Our service provides specialized diagnostics and bone health management for men and women on our outpatient and inpatient services.
- Our VA program also provides general endocrine care, transgender care. and bone health services.
The endocrine research program spans clinical and basic science research. Our program is NIH funded in diabetes and hypoglycemia, lipid metabolism, genetics, and reproduction. We have active clinical trials in diabetes and metabolism. Our investigators co-direct the Clinical and Translational Science Center. We also have an active investigative transgender program at the VA.
In addition to our clinical and research focus, the division is also committed to training the next generation of endocrinologists. The division accepts fellows to train in a 2-year fellowship. Research training in diabetes and metabolism and computational biology is also available to medical, graduate, and postdoctoral students.