Program Director & Selection Chair: Steffen Schmitz-Valckenberg, MD, Professor
Department Chairman: Randall J Olson, MD, Distinguished Professor, CEO, John A. Moran Eye Center
Vice Chair of Education: Jeff Pettey, MD, MBA, Associate Professor
Academic Programs Manager: Elaine Peterson, C-TAGME
About Our Fellowship
We offer a one-year Medical Retinal Fellowship (2023-2024), offering extensive and diverse exposure with hands-on training in all areas of medical retina, including macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, retinal vascular diseases, inherited retinal degenerations, uveitis, and ocular tumors.
The Medical Retina Fellowship at the John A. Moran Eye Center joins existing and well-established surgical retina and uveitis fellowship programs, addressing the increasing need for well-trained specialists in the medical management of patients with vitreous, retina, and choroidal diseases.
- September 1, 2022
We will hold in-person interviews on the following dates:
- Saturday, September 17, 2022
- Sunday September 18, 2022
- Saturday, October 22, 2022
- Sunday, October 23, 2022
What Makes Our Fellowship Unique
The John A. Moran Eye Center is the largest vision research and treatment center in the Mountain West, with more than 60 faculty members, 10 satellite clinics, and 16 research laboratories and centers. Physicians provide comprehensive care in all ophthalmic subspecialties, making the Moran Eye Center a major referral center for complex cases with over 157,000 patient visits and about 9,000 surgeries annually.
Moran invests in the full spectrum of research, supporting basic research that adds to our foundation of knowledge and then providing the tools to translate discoveries into new therapies and treatments. Research initiatives include the Utah Retinal Reading Center (UREAD), which seeks to contribute to the characterization of manifestation and progression of ophthalmic diseases, focusing on the evaluation of treatment response to innovative therapeutic strategies.
The Moran Eye Center's retina division is comprised of internationally renowned faculty members with a special interest in teaching and training young colleagues. The team includes:
- Paul S. Bernstein, MD, PhD, Professor
- Monika Fleckenstein, MD, Professor
- Mary Elizabeth Hartnett, MD, Distinguished Professor
- Eric D. Hansen, MD, Assistant Professor
- Eileen Hwang, MD, PhD, Assistant Professor
- Rachael Jacoby, MD, Assistant Professor
- Marissa B. Larochelle, MD, Assistant Professor
- Steffen Schmitz-Valckenberg, MD, Professor
- Akbar Shakoor, MD, Associate Professor
- Michael Teske, MD, Professor
- Albert T. Vitale, MD, Professor
We offer ample opportunities in clinics at different locations to intensively interact with the faculty, residents, and medical students.
The fellowship also includes opportunities to participate in conferences, journal clubs and rounds, innovative research projects and clinical trials (including protective research time), imaging analysis at the Utah Retinal Imaging Reading Center (uread.org), and global outreach service (up to 4 weeks/year paid).
Active participation in at least one national or international scientific meeting is expected.
As with most ophthalmology fellowship programs, ours is not an approved PGY–5 ACGME position. It is, however, affiliated with an ACGME accredited Ophthalmology Residency Program and AUPO compliant. The University provides malpractice insurance as well as medical, dental, and other benefits.
If selected for this position:
- You must attend a scheduled orientation where we will explain in detail all benefits of the program, departmental policies, procedures, and requirements.
- You will be required to obtain a Utah Physicians License, a Utah Controlled Substance License, and a DEA license.
- You will also be required to obtain privileges with the University Hospital, Primary Children's Medical Center, and Veterans Affairs Medical Center.
- All fees for privileges will be reimbursed by the Department of Ophthalmology. University policy requires original receipts for reimbursement. We will work closely with you to meet these requirements.