- Applicants must meet the University of Utah criteria for residency eligibility as posted online: https://medicine.utah.edu/gme/information-for-gme-trainees/application.php
- Before entering the addiction medicine (ADM) fellowship program, applicants must be board-eligible or board-certified in an American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) specialty. Applicants must complete the ERAS application. The University of Utah GME office completes the credentialing process, including education and license verification, background checks, and a urine drug screen.
- All applicants must have or be eligible to obtain a Utah medical license, Utah controlled substance license, and a DEA number. The Utah medical licensing boards (for MD’s or DO’s) require that all applicants for a Utah medical license complete the Federation of State Medical Boards’ (FSMB) Credential Verification System (CVS), which provides independent confirmation of credentials to practice in the state.
- Applicants must follow the policies and procedures regarding eligibility and selection criteria for the addiction medicine fellowship. All applicants must fill out a ERAS application for the University of Utah Addiction Medicine Fellowship and provide required documentation.
- In addition, applicants must apply for a waiver from the SAMHSA Center for Substance Abuse Treatment to prescribe buprenorphine or buprenorphine-naloxone for the treatment of opioid dependence. The waiver to prescribe buprenorphine for up to 100 patients and an X DEA number requires 8 hours of specialized training and must be obtained prior to the start of training. Allow at least 60 days for this process.
- See: https://www.samhsa.gov/medication-assisted-treatment/become-buprenorphine-waivered-practitioner for details about the process and requirements.
- Fingerprinting and a criminal background check must be completed prior to working in University of Utah outpatient clinics.
- Qualified applicants will be screened and invited for an in-person interview with fellowship faculty after the ERAS application is complete.
- Initial offerings for fellowship positions will begin on October 18th.
Any questions should be directed to the Program Manager,
Mary McKinlay, MHA at: email@example.com