SPECIMEN KIT CONTENTS
Once you receive the Specimen Kit you will have everything you need to get your specimen processed and returned to us. Here is a snapshot of what the kit includes.
- Appropriate requisition form: Oral Pathology Request Form (for specimens in formalin) and Consultation Request Form (for already prepared slides)
- Pre-filled formalin specimen vials/labels
- Biohazard bags
- FedEx shipping supplies and other packaging
Our office will be able to assist you with the orders of complimentary specimen kits, tests and shipping material. Please contact us at 801-581-7139 to arrange for supplies.
KIT TRANSPORT INFORMATION
Follow these steps to package and ship specimens to the University of Utah Dermatopathology Laboratory for processing and testing. Use the Test Submission Checklist for a step-by-step guide:
Specimen Collection and Preparation for Shipping
Collect the specimen and place it in the pre-filled formalin container.
NEW: Specimen Collection Manual Elements for Dermatopathology Specimens (depending on which website we are on)
Microscopic Diagnostic Testing
- Patient Preparation: N/A
- Clinical Data:
- Include all history/clinical findings information
- Tissue: skin, nail, oral mucosa, tooth
- Specimen Preparation:
- Formalin fix (10% neutral buffered formalin)
- Place a single biopsy in formalin-filled specimen container and close lid tightly
- Use appropriate formalin container size for biopsy type to ensure adequate fixation for optimal processing at a ratio of 10:1 formalin to tissue (see fixation guide)
- Container Labeling:
- Patient name, second patient identifier, collection date, specimen type, biopsy site
- Medium type on label
- Transportation Temperature:
- Unacceptable/Unstable Submissions:
- Inappropriate tissue type
- Inappropriate medium/no medium
- Multiple biopsies in a single specimen container
- Internal specimens - submit order electronically; External specimens - if you do not have access to electronic ordering, complete appropriate paper requisition form (see links) and submit with the specimen
- Ambient - indefinitely; Refrigerated - indefinitely; Frozen - unacceptable
See our Fixation Guide Tipsheet to ensure proper specimen fixation.
- Label specimen container with at least 2 identifiers, along with specimen type and body site:
- Close each specimen container tightly to avoid leakage during transportation.
- Place the specimen container inside of the biohazard bag.
- Patient name and
- Body site and
- Specimen type and
- Date of birth (DOB) and/or
- Hospital or clinic number and/or
- Patient ID number and/or
- Accession number
- Complete the University of Utah Oral Pathology Request Form with the patient's testing and billing information along with other pertinent details. It is important that each requisition includes the following:
- Patient's first and last name
- Date of birth (DOB)
- Complete and accurate medical insurance information
- Date and time of collection
- Ordering physician's name and signature
- Test(s) requested
- Pertinent clinical findings/history
- Place the completed Request Form in the side pocket of the biohazard bag.
- Place the specimen in the biohazard bag inside the FedEx Clinical Pak shipping bag.
- Seal the FedEx Clinical Pak shipping bag and attach a FedEx pre-addressed and prepaid FedEx shipping label.
- For FedEx pickup, please call FedEx at (800) 463-3339 or schedule online at www.fedex.com.
The University of Utah Department of Dermatology is contracted with all major health insurance plans. Our Billing Office will bill patient’s insurance for laboratory processing and testing. Other billing arrangements are available. For questions regarding specific client billing arrangements, please contact us via email at DermatologyLaboratories@hsc.utah.edu.
Patients are responsible for all medical charges associated with the laboratory services provided at our facility. To verify specific coverage, patients should contact their insurance provider. Insurance participation is subject to change over time.
Should patients have questions about a University of Utah Department of Dermatology billing statement, please inform them to contact the Dermatology Billing Office toll-free at 1-800-245-0357.
We offer discounts and payment plans to self-pay patients:
A 30% discount will be applied to all uninsured patient charges.
Payment plans allowing balance to be split over 12-month period.
Financial assistance is available and can be applied for upon request from patient.