The University of Utah Family Medicine Residency program values diversity, training family physicians in dynamic and innovative practices to be physician leaders in varied practice settings.
Message from the Program Director
Greetings! I am delighted that you have chosen a career in family medicine. Family physicians play a pivotal role in promoting and maintaining wellness among individuals, families, and communities. I encourage you to consider our program at the University of Utah Family Medicine Residency. We are a community-based program at a historic community hospital, in which our residents are the only residents managing the inpatient medicine and emergency room services. Our program enjoys the benefits of university affiliation, including access to exceptional training opportunities at the University Hospital and Primary Children’s Hospital.
Additional benefits of our program include:
- Exceptional clinical training, through which you learn by doing. In your continuity clinics and in the hospital, you will care for diverse populations with complex diagnoses.
- Our rigorous curriculum that provides a solid foundation in the fundamentals of family medicine, highlighting innovative clinical practice models. We provide training in team-based care, quality improvement, managing populations, leadership skills, and personal wellness
- Dedicated and knowledgeable faculty with varied interests and expertise including sports medicine, public health, quality improvement, obstetrics, evidence-based medicine, geriatrics, care of the underserved, Hepatitis C care, integrative medicine, medicated assisted treatment for opioid addiction, refugee health, behavioral science, people with disabilities, international medicine, outpatient procedures, transgender health, and political advocacy.
- Superb resources to tailor your education to your interests, including opportunities in the community health centers (CHCs) with multilingual populations, orthopedic training at local ski clinics, international experiences, rural rotations, the homeless clinic, and a multidisciplinary senior clinic at an assisted living facility.
- A supportive community between faculty and residents who work collaboratively in the hospitals and clinics. We are proud to have excellent working relationships with other academic resident services at the University and Primary Children's Hospital.
- Exceptional residents with diverse experiences and interests, attracted nationally from an array of medical schools, who come together to create a dynamic and supportive resident community.
- Diverse career paths pursued by our graduates, spanning all geographic settings and practice arrangements, including ambulatory, urgent and inpatient care, underserved care, fellowships, academics, ER, locum tenens, nursing homes, hospice, leadership roles, and political activism.
- World class outdoor recreation at the doorstep of a cosmopolitan city
I invite you to review the highlights of our program detailed on our website. We look forward to meeting you here at the University of Utah Family Medicine Residency!
Kirsten Stoesser, MD
University of Utah | Family Medicine Residency