The Division of Public Health admits students into the MPH online program in the Fall semesters each year.
- Application deadline: For guaranteed consideration of your application, please submit by February 15th (no late applications will be accepted).
Applications & Required Documents
Applicants must complete both a SOPHAS application and an Slate (University of Utah) application and upload all required documents for each to be considered for admission.
- Official transcripts for US/Canadian applicants
- Unofficial transcripts & WES, ECE, or other accredited transcript evaluation for international applicants
- GRE scores or demonstrated quantitative ability
- Three letters of recommendation
- Statement of purpose
- Current Resume or Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Unofficial transcripts
Transcripts & Transcript Evaluation – All applicants must upload to SOPHAS and Slate a transcript from each institution they earned credit.
Three letters of recommendation - Required for each master's applicant; the recommendation letters should come from persons familiar with the applicant's academic and professional capabilities, achievements, work experience and/or personal qualities—not family or friends. There is no specific format for these letters.
Statement of purpose - The statement, not to exceed 500 words, should include comments relevant to public health degree(s), reasons for choosing public health as a future career area, any previous relative work experience, and how the training will facilitate your career goals.
Current Resume or Curriculum Vitae (CV) – Resumes and CVs should be professional and up-to-date.
- College Algebra – Transcripts should reflect completion of College Algebra (1050) or higher (e.g., Algebra II, Calculus, calculus, or Statistics) with a grade of B or better. A course in Statistics or Epidemiology is highly recommended but not required.
- General Graduate Record Examination (GRE) - The GRE is not required but is recommended for applicants who have not completed College Algebra (1050) or higher with a grade of B or better or earned a terminal degree (M.D. or Ph.D.) in the U.S. Scores no older than five years will be accepted. Please provide code 4932 (University of Utah Division of Public Health SOPHAS) to ETS to have them send your scores to your SOPHAS application. MCAT scores may be substituted only if the applicant has been accepted into the University of Utah Medical School and plans to seek the MD/MPH or MD/MSPH. The medical school letter of acceptance must be attached to MCAT scores.
- English Proficiency for International Students - Please see the Office of Admissions website for details on demonstrating English Proficiency and sending your test scores.
- Personal interview - May be required, including international applicants. Telephone interviews may be conducted and will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- If you are admitted into the MPH program: You must submit an official transcript from each institution from which you have earned college credit (except the University of Utah) to the Office of Admissions. Please see the Office of Admissions website for details on how to submit official transcripts. If you fail to submit official transcripts, you will be unable to register for classes.
Check Your Application Status
Applicants are responsible for monitoring the progress of their applications to ensure all required documents, transcripts, letters of recommendation, and other information is received by the deadline. The SOPHAS and Slate online applications allow applicants to track their application status by logging back into the system with their PIN and password and clicking “check status” in SOPHAS or “check your application” in Slate.