Skip to main content

Thinking of moving to the US for your graduate studies? Moving abroad will certainly be an exciting time, but can also feel daunting at times. Apart from the language barrier, it might seem that there are many hurdles to overcome before you will finally be able to focus on your studies.  Be assured, our division has plenty of experience with international students and we are here to alleviate some of these stresses of moving abroad and to help you getting settled into your new life in the US. You can always contact us or some of the resources listed below with any questions you might have.

International Student Resources

International Student and Scholar Services office (ISSS)

A useful resource for international students coming to the University of Utah is the International Student and Scholar Services office (ISSS) The ISSS offers help on visas and immigration issues, safety and wellness resources, tips for cultural adjustment and intercultural programs. The ISSS also offer individual appointments to help answer any questions you might have. ISSS can be contacted by email at or by phone at 801-581-8876 Monday to Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. More information can be found on the ISSS website.

English for Academic Success (EAS) Graduate Programs

University of Utah's EAS offers various classes, workshops and tutoring to help international graduate students to improve their academic English skills.

Study in the USA Guide

For general information on studying and life in the US see the Study in the USA Guide published by International Student.

M&I Program Application

International Students who wish to apply to join the M&I Graduate program can follow the regular application procedures. For entry into the M&I Graduate Program you will need to have an equivalent of an undergraduate grade to a GPA of 3.0 or higher (85th percentile or higher). In addition, you will need to provide a proof of English language competency in line with University of Utah policy. This should be 6.5 of higher on the International English Language Test (IELTS). More detailed information on the language requirements can be found here.

Once accepted, the University of Utah Admissions Office will provide assistance in applying for an F1 student visa, required for study in the USA. This may take anywhere from 2-6 months.

All international students on F and J visas will be automatically enrolled in the University of Utah Student Health Insurance Plan. If you already have an equivalent or better insurance plan you may apply for a waiver of the University's insurance requirement.

Useful tips prior to your arrival

Bring copies of other important documents (medical, immunization records and prescriptions, school records, home country driver's license and car insurance) along with your immigration documents.