Residency, Fellowships & Post Graduate Work
Our department has an active residency program that has maintained national prominence both clinically and academically for over twenty years. Excellent training is available for candidates interested in an academic, research or private practice career. The department is an integral part of the University of Utah School of Medicine and the residency program is approved by the American Council of Graduate Medical Education (ACGME). Within the past ten years, 100 percent of our graduated anesthesiologists have obtained certification from the American Board of Anesthesiology.
The department offer three fellowships:
- Pain Medicine Fellowship - University of Utah Health and its affiliated hospitals offer a total of four fellowship positions in Pain Medicine. Fellows are accepted into the program every August. Positions are awarded to applicant students through the NRMP (National Residents Matching Program).
- Perioperative Echocardiography Fellowship
- Acute Pain Fellowship
In addition to resident and fellow training, we sponsor several postgraduate education opportunities:
- The 63rd Annual Update in Anesthesiology Postgraduate Review Course will be held February 2018 at the Canyons Ski Resort in Park City Utah. This course will review recent advances in drug therapy, monitoring, regional anesthesia, transfusion medicine, and perioperative cardiac assessment.
- The Perioperative Echocardiography Review Course will not be held this year. In it's absence there will be additional workshops help in our Annual Update in Anesthesia.
- Our Center for Patient Simulation is offering a course on Simulation Training for Maintenance of Certification in Anesthesiology (MOCA® and MOCA-SUBS Critical Care) to anesthesia care providers.