Headache Medicine Fellowship
The United Council of Neurology Subspecialties (UCNS)-accredited Headache Medicine Fellowship at the University of Utah is a one year fellowship focused on training fellows to effectively manage patients with complex headaches and associated comorbidities.
As a graduate of the program, you will be eligible to sit for the UCNS Headache Medicine Examination and ultimately become certified in Headache Medicine by the UCNS.
- You will be mentored in the development and execution of individual research or quality improvement projects, with up to two half-days per week of protected research time.
- You will be formally trained in epidemiology, biostatistics, and research methods.
- Facilities available to you include approximately 1,200 square feet of dedicated laboratory space, consisting of open bench space and three imaging rooms.
- You will participate in the American Headache Society’s quarterly journal club via teleconference.
- You will participate in the clinical teaching of medical students and residents from four different departments during their rotations in headache clinic.
- You will have the option to participate in the Headache Medicine Lecture Series for the residents and medical students.
- Adult Headache Clinic – you will be trained in the diagnosis and management of complex headache patients.
- Pediatric Headache and Integrative Medicine – one half-day per week – your training will encompass medical and non-pharmacological management of headaches in adolescents and children.
- You will be trained in the non-pharmacological management of complex headaches, including stress relief techniques, biofeedback, and cognitive behavioral therapy.
- Anesthesia/Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation – you will have the option to complete rotations in anesthesia, pain medicine, or PM&R.
- Must be BC/BE neurologists or individuals who have completed their ACGME-accredited neurology residency training by the fellowship start date.
- Must be US citizen, permanent resident, or hold a J-1 clinical visa.