Welcome to the Graduate Program
The Master of Science degree in laboratory medicine and biomedical science offers two tracks: (1) clinical laboratory science and (2) biomedical research. Admission to this program requires the successful completion of a bachelor of science (BS) degree in medical laboratory science and national certification as a medical laboratory scientist OR a bachelor of science degree in a related science, such as biology, chemistry, or microbiology.
Areas for advanced study and research specialization include immunology, cell biology, molecular biology, clinical chemistry, toxicology, microbiology, hematology, hematopathology, immunohematology, and genetics.
Program Purpose Statement
"To support the goals of the Department of Pathology by enhancing the understanding of disease, teaching knowledge to others, and improving medical diagnosis and treatment of disease.”
A critical component of administering the MS program in laboratory medicine and biomedical science is the evaluation of its effectiveness in meeting program objectives. Outcomes and objectives are assessed throughout the graduate program, in successful completion of didactic coursework, projects, preliminary exams, thesis research, and thesis defense. The objectives of the program are to:
- Increase the student’s technical competence in the area of study.
- Develop an approach to research procedures and understand the importance of properly defining research problems.
- Provide a working background in scientific writing and data management.
- Increase the student’s awareness and knowledge of new laboratory-related technologies.
- Prepare the student for continuation into an appropriate PhD program or medical school, if desired.
The program also focuses on three areas for students to obtain experience and confidence in that are important to their professional advancement. These areas are:
- Organization and presentation of scientific information to peers and faculty members.
- Review and interpretation of scientific literature.
- Improvement of technical writing skills.
MLS Graduate Program
27 S. Mario Capecchi Dr., Salt Lake City, UT 84113