We only accept applications through ERAS and for applicants registered for the NRMP Match. We look for candidates with excellent academic performance and who are passionate about a future career in pathology. Candidates for the pathology residency are selected on the basis of their academic credentials, research, communication skills, and personal qualities such as motivation and integrity.
We typically receive approximately 400 applications and interview 65 candidates for five positions each year (four AP/CP or AP/NP and one CP-only or AP-only). Interviews are usually conducted from October through mid-January. The deadline for applications is November 1.
Your application is complete when we receive the following from ERAS:
- ERAS common application form (CAF)
- Personal statement
- Medical school transcript(s)
- Medical student performance evaluation (dean’s letter)
- Three letters of recommendation
- Passing USMLE (for allopathic medical school students only)
- Passing COMLEX (for osteopathic medicine students only)
- ECFMG certificate with clinical skills assessment certification (for international medical graduates only)
- One page statement of research experience, research interests, and career goals (physician-scientist track only)
All applicants are subject to the same criteria
- Passing USMLE/COMLEX on the first attempt (Candidates successful only after repeated attempts are less likely to be considered.)
- Graduation from medical school within the last four years
- Have a minimum of six months of clinical or research experience in the United States in an academic affiliated hospital within the last two years, as evidenced by at least one letter of recommendation from a physician with whom they have worked (for international medical graduates only)
- Visa, please refer to the University of Utah GME Office
The University of Utah School of Medicine does not discriminate on the basis of gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, race, age, religion, color, national origin, disability, genetic information, or veteran's status.