Medical Director: Nicole L. Mihalopoulos, MD, MPH
The purpose of the adolescent medicine rotation is to provide pediatric house staff with the knowledge base to care for adolescent patients.
The rotation will consist of varied clinical and didactic experiences. Some clinical experiences will be weekly throughout the rotation. Other experiences are usually one time only. Didactic experiences occur weekly.
- To gain competence working in evaluation, diagnosis, and treatment for adolescents and young adults
- To develop competence in assessing normal pubertal and development
- To recognize health issues specific to adolescents
Skill Acquisition and Development
Residents will recognize and develop a treatment plan for:
- Abnormal eating behaviors (binge eating, restricting, purging, and rituals related to food)
- Menstrual abnormalities (dysmenorrhea, irregular bleeding, and amenorrhea)
- Sexuality and gender-related issues (contraception, gender and sexual orientation, sexual activity, sexually transmitted infections)
- Pubertal concerns (duration, timing, onset)
- Mental health concerns (irritability, depression or anxiety)
Residents may observe adolescents in their "natural" habitat, juvenile court, or youth services.
Adolescent volunteers are needed for research study on probiotics. Please click here for more Information">